MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Dynasty Begins

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

The Dynasty Begins

Postby O.J. » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:55 pm

By the end of the day, Johan Santana will be a member of the World Champion Boston Red Sox. I've been inundated with so many goddamn rumors the last week, my head's spinning. Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. The cost will be huge in terms of cash and prospects(Lester, Crisp, Lowrie, Masterson/Bowden, maybe more), but the Sox can obviously afford the outlay and they've revamped the minor leagues sufficiently to spin off a few of their youngsters. I can't wait to see the Yankees enter the Panic Zone.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Dynasty Begins

Postby buckyor » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:12 am

O.J. wrote:By the end of the day, Johan Santana will be a member of the World Champion Boston Red Sox. I've been inundated with so many goddamn rumors the last week, my head's spinning. Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. The cost will be huge in terms of cash and prospects(Lester, Crisp, Lowrie, Masterson/Bowden, maybe more), but the Sox can obviously afford the outlay and they've revamped the minor leagues sufficiently to spin off a few of their youngsters. I can't wait to see the Yankees enter the Panic Zone.

I think you jumped the gun a little here.

From what I've read and heard, the Twins want both Lester and Ellsbury. That's a tough call to make for the Sox, but I can understand the Twins wanting Ellsbury rather than Crisp. You can't expect them to want to take your cast offs for one of the best pitchers in the league. Meanwhile, just because the Yankees say they're out doesn't mean a damn thing.

Meanwhile, the Tigers got Willis and Cabrera from the Marlins. They're certainly in the "win now" mode, which may put a crimp in your dynasty discussion.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:36 am

Yes, I did jump the gun a bit and, quite frankly, the Tigers scare the shit out of me right now. I think Dontrelle is overrated and will be an average pitcher in the American League, but their lineup is sick. If they can improve the bullpen, look out.

The Red Sox won't package both Lester and Ellsbury; if that's truly what the Twins are demanding, the trade won't happen. It looked increasingly likely that the Twins were seeking a deal centering around Lester, as they requested his medical records the other night.

If the reports are true that Santana informed the Twins he would refuse to waive his no-trade clause once the season begins, they pretty much have to trade him this winter.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:25 pm

Peter Gammons is reporting that Santana is most likely staying put. Great prediction, O.J.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:41 pm

This non-action is not surprising, the only thing less surprising is that the Yankees didn't offer all their best prospects for him at the last minute (after their own self-imposed deadline).

The Red Sox will be fine without him and the huge contract, and they can still make a run at Bedard or Haren. Even with no deal, they have the best rotation in baseball (6 legit starters), and we all know thats what wins championships, pitching. The Tigers look like the Yankees post-2000. All slug, a veritable Murderer's Row 1-9. But the pitching, thats another story. They will probably take the Central, but they are no lock to win in the playoffs with that team.

How about that David Riske deal?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:58 pm

An AL team with Dontrelle Willis doesn't seem like a good fit. I'd hate to see his natural athletic ability underutilized with the Tigers. Maybe they just figured he puts asses in the stadium seats.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:12 pm

Were the Twins that determined to trade Santana out of the American League? It seems as if they overplayed their hand quite a bit. Both the Red Sox and Yankees offered far superior packages originally, especially with immediate replacements in center field and the rotation. Unless the Twins are seriously concerned about Liriano's recovery and are ready to be non-competitive for the next three years, this makes no sense. A trade of Joe Nathan should be coming shortly.

The Red Sox are now loaded for the foreseeable future and have a very attractive trading chip in Coco Crisp.

Don't even get me started about the Patriots.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:42 pm

O.J. wrote:The Red Sox . . . have a very attractive trading chip in Coco Crisp.

You owe me one beer, to replace the one I just spewed all over my laptop monitor.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:18 am

buckyor wrote:

You owe me one beer, to replace the one I just spewed all over my laptop monitor.

That would be two beers I owe you, then. I still owe you one for the Brewers taking Gagne off our hands.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:25 am

buckyor wrote:

Coco Crisp would be more attractive/useful to other teams if he was Cocoa Puffs or Potato Chips.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:19 am

Oakland maybe for Coco, apparently Billy Beane loves him...defensively one of the best in the game, offensively, well you know.

I agree about the Twins, although those are top-rated prospects, Lester/Ellsbury and Crisp have actually had success at the major league level, and the Yanks players too. Seems like a win for the Mets...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Dynasty Begins

Postby O.J. » Sun May 17, 2009 9:48 am

buckyor wrote:

Do I still owe you a beer?

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/playe ... _id=430673
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking