MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

College Football Recruits

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

College Football Recruits

Postby pjbogart » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:13 pm

So today was signing day, I guess. I saw it on Yahoo's front page and thought I'd take a gander at how Wisconsin did in landing some of the nation's top high school prospects. #41? Jeepers, guys, we've got a pretty successful program. Bowl eligible year after year, and we usually win them, to boot. We send a lot of kids to the NFL to make big bucks playing with the big boys. We ought to be able to do better than #41, I would think. Then again, there's a lot of stiff competition who can make the same boasts, so...

Minnesota- #17.

Oy.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:34 am

Don't underestimate the football factory schools' appeal to those physically gifted yet studiously lazy recruits. UW is no walk in park academically.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:48 am

supaunknown wrote:Don't underestimate the football factory schools' appeal to those physically gifted yet studiously lazy recruits. UW is no walk in park academically.

You're fooling yourself if you think that it's harder academically for a "student"-athlete to hack it here than at a "football factory" like the University of Michigan or Notre Dame.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:53 am

nevermore wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Don't underestimate the football factory schools' appeal to those physically gifted yet studiously lazy recruits. UW is no walk in park academically.

You're fooling yourself if you think that it's harder academically for a "student"-athlete to hack it here than at a "football factory" like the University of Michigan or Notre Dame.

I was thinking Florida, Florida St, Miami, or any WAC school ...
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:01 pm

supaunknown wrote:
nevermore wrote:

I was thinking Florida, Florida St, Miami, or any WAC school ...

Does the Western Athletic Conference have academic standards? I thought the entrance exams were strictly bull-lassoing contests.

Otherwise, yeah, I see your point.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking