MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Run that football 'round Cal Poly...

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Run that football 'round Cal Poly...

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:19 pm

Anyone else a little more than just irritated that the too-smart-for-his-own-good Brett Bielema traded in Virginia Tech for a D-IAA team that finished 7-4 last year?

Oh, and nice facial hair.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:13 pm

The very first football game I went to was at Cal-Poly - true story.

I forget who they were playing - Peperdine or some such shit.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:15 pm

I wonder how good a game Carleton would give Cal Poly. Maybe I should just shut up, as Carleton might end up on the Badgers' schedule a few years down the road.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:24 pm

jjoyce wrote:I wonder how good a game Carleton would give Cal Poly. Maybe I should just shut up, as Carleton might end up on the Badgers' schedule a few years down the road.

Wouldn't be the first time.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:00 pm

Who is that with Brett, Les Nessman?
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:04 pm

I think it's Ned.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:44 pm

I think the powers that be are quaking in their boots over the 2008 schedule that includes MI, OSU and PSU in a row and IL for homecoming. Pussies!

This is the game that every season ticketholder will have to give away thanks to the Nov. 22 date. Not many people will have any chance of getting close to face value for their tix. Thanks a lot Barry & Brett!
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:46 pm

If you want credit for a 13-win season, then beat 13 decent, Division I schools. This Double-A business is worse than a joke at this point. It's no-win.

- If they beat Cal Poly handily, as they should, and are in position to take a BCS slot, other contenders will be playing meaningful games in conference championships. The Badgers will be deservedly ripped all over national TV.

- If they eek one out, people will go out of their way to question every single win on their schedule.

- If they lose, they'll plummet in the standings and be a laughingstock. The spin is already on with people comparing C-P to App. State, which beat Michigan last year. How'd that work out for Lloyd Carr? Can we just put Bielema's job on the line for that game right now?

The more I think about it, the more I see the mere act of scheduling this game as removing the Badgers from national championship consideration before they even open spring practice. Here's hoping he gets plenty of heat on the steak-and-golf circuit this spring and summer.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:57 am

It comes down to do they want an open date, or do they want more money.
It's obvious what they would choose.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Run that football 'round Cal Poly...

Postby O.J. » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:12 am

jjoyce wrote:Anyone else a little more than just irritated that the too-smart-for-his-own-good Brett Bielema traded in Virginia Tech for a D-IAA team that finished 7-4 last year?

Oh, and nice facial hair.

I just hope that Bret Bielema uses your schedule dis as successfully as Bo Ryan has. :lol:
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:23 am

O.J. wrote:I just hope that Bret Bielema uses your schedule dis as successfully as Bo Ryan has. :lol:

Yeah, because what Bielema did was just like Bo scheduling patsies like Duke, Marquette and Texas.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:32 am

nevermore wrote:
O.J. wrote:I just hope that Bret Bielema uses your schedule dis as successfully as Bo Ryan has. :lol:

Yeah, because what Bielema did was just like Bo scheduling patsies like Duke, Marquette and Texas.

Calm down, I was just poking fun at Joyce's earlier attack on Bo's schedule, which I thought was pretty damn solid(not to mention his spelling of Bret).

I actually agree that it's a bit of a joke to play Cal-Poly, but football and basketball scheduling are two different animals.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:04 pm

O.J. wrote:
nevermore wrote:

Calm down, I was just poking fun at Joyce's earlier attack on Bo's schedule, which I thought was pretty damn solid(not to mention his spelling of Bret).

I actually agree that it's a bit of a joke to play Cal-Poly, but football and basketball scheduling are two different animals.

You'd be amazed how calm I was when I posted that.

I didn't catch j's trashing Bo's scheduling, so I didn't know what you were referencing. But I think all three of us are in agreement: While Bo's scheduling has the team in a position for as clear a shot at a national championship as we've ever seen, the Bielema/Barry scheduling method barely gets the team ready for the Big 10 and pretty much guarantees us repeat invites to the Outback Bowl.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:58 pm

So who really controls the football scheduling, the current coach or the former one, A.D. Alvarez?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:44 pm

Even with the quarterback question looming, Rivals.com picks Wisconsin as a possible dark horse for winning the National Championship next year.

One potential stumbling block is that if the Badgers find themselves close in BCS rankings with other contenders, the Cal Poly game could cost them a trip to Miami as strength of schedule comes into question. If you think about it, it's not just that Cal Poly is a cupcake game, the problem is that the cupcake game comes at such an unfortunate time in the schedule... when everyone is paying the most attention.

And even if the Badgers aren't looking for a shot at natty champ, the game can't help with other bowl prospects either.

Wisconsin Badgers (on the big screen)
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking