MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

FAVRE RETIRES

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: FAVRE RETIRES

Postby O.J. » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:40 am

It's like deja vu, all over again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3898942
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:35 pm

I wonder if this is deja vu, all over again. Again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4108844

Usually, someone asks for his release as a means to keep his options open. Hmmm..."At this time, I am retired and have no intention of returning to football."

Why the need for ambiguity? Unless he wants to sign a quick contract to be able to retire as a Packer(and, I haven't seen/heard anything about his desire to reconcile with the franchise), there's going to be the perception that he's entertaining the idea of playing for the Vikings next year. Although, he could just be looking for his ego to be stroked.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue May 05, 2009 3:59 pm

Oh, nevermind. Favre is coming out of retirement again because he hates Green Bay and wants revenge. If he could just play for Minnesota for a year, he'd have a chance to beat Green Bay twice. Doesn't this man have an agent? His merchandising, sponsorship and speaking fees were probably some of the best in the NFL two years ago. Now he's been reduced to a joke, and a worn-out joke at that.

Granted, he's probably doing fine in the cash department, but there's no reason to throw his reputation away like this. If he beats Green Bay twice as a Viking, people will call him a sore winner. If he loses either game he'll be the NFL's biggest joke for at least a week. If he loses both games his reputation would be permanently destroyed. This is a lose-lose proposition and surely his agent knows this.

Just walk away, Brett.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue May 05, 2009 4:03 pm

I wouldn't put it past him to come out and play like an MVP again but come on. What are the chances? Didn't he get to watch himself on tape last year? He's not going to beat the Pack. Woodson would have a good day though.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue May 05, 2009 4:26 pm

I am one of those Favre apologists. Ya know why? Cuz he's BRETT FREAKIN' FAVRE! The man, the legend, the flip-flopper. I love that he wants to keep playing football, and I believe he's got plenty of game left in the tank to do so.
I certainly wouldn't mind watching him QB for Minnesota (and play against the Pack at least twice). It would be compelling sports drama. Go Pack though.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue May 05, 2009 4:32 pm

I don't know. I was all for Favre doing whatever but going top the Viqueens to spite the Packers isn't going to have the effect he thinks it does. He's going to end up spiting his many adoring fans more so than the organization. And for what? To boost his ego that he can still do it? To spite an organization he flip flopped into trading him? Whatever. If he plays for the Viqueens I hope he fails. If he plays for anyone else I'm still a fan.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue May 05, 2009 4:41 pm

If Rodgers is the man, then what are you worried about? If Favre is washed up and a terrible terrible person for retiring once and trying to come back once a couple months later (anybody ever heard of a guy named Clemens?) you should be relishing the opportunity to tell the most evil figure in sports history that he was wrong, that he has nothing, and that the Packers are better off without him (consider the 2007 playoffs for a second).

He just wants to play football. Has he got anything left in the tank? Maybe, it will be interesting to see. A lot more interesting than anything else the Pack have on deck this year. As a football fan, I will be a lot more jazzed to see Favre play the Pack than Cutler. If he's done and you have nothing to worry about with Rodgers as QB, who cares if he signs with the Vikings?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue May 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Is it possible that he plays for the Vikes because he:

a) knows the coaches and the offense well and wouldn't have to go to any mini camps?

b) wants to be on a team that's very close to contending for a super bowl?

c) doesn't have the slightest idea why Packer fans get all worked up over the Vikings anyway, since there's nobody on that team that was there three years ago and if Packer fans really cared about rivalries, they would never have raked Ted Thompson over the coals for not signing Randy Moss?

It's hilarious to me that anyone would actually waste the energy to be upset about this. Packer fans get what they deserve by being far too emotionally invested in a pro sports franchise staffed by guys who play off-season golf with the guys who don the purple and gold of the hated Vikings each winter.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue May 05, 2009 5:11 pm

If Favre is going to come back and play for the Vikes without the OTAs and mini-camps, then my only concern would be for his health, because a 40 year old man who doesn't want to put in the work, both physically and mentally, to prepare for the season is a threat only to himself. If he does this, however, the team ought to reassign jersey #4 to someone new. I don't remember Ray Nitschke wearing a Bears, Lions or Vikings jersey.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue May 05, 2009 5:16 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I don't know. I was all for Favre doing whatever but going top the Viqueens to spite the Packers isn't going to have the effect he thinks it does.

I read those "revenge" articles too. National Enquirer-type writing. If there isn't quite enough real-life drama the writer simply invents some. An "unnamed source"? Please. I'm not saying there's absolutely no truth that revenge might be a motivating factor, just that the writing style was completely low grade dog chow.

Speaking of, this just in: Lassie XXIV cannot stand the Dog Whisperer and will do anything in her power to destroy him, a close friend says.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue May 05, 2009 5:19 pm

buckyor wrote:I don't remember Ray Nitschke wearing a Bears, Lions or Vikings jersey.

No, but he would've worn a Mean Machine jersey if Caretaker hadn't stolen it.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Wed May 06, 2009 9:11 am

jjoyce wrote:Is it possible that he plays for the Vikes because he:

a) knows the coaches and the offense well and wouldn't have to go to any mini camps?

b) wants to be on a team that's very close to contending for a super bowl?

c) doesn't have the slightest idea why Packer fans get all worked up over the Vikings anyway, since there's nobody on that team that was there three years ago and if Packer fans really cared about rivalries, they would never have raked Ted Thompson over the coals for not signing Randy Moss?

It's hilarious to me that anyone would actually waste the energy to be upset about this. Packer fans get what they deserve by being far too emotionally invested in a pro sports franchise staffed by guys who play off-season golf with the guys who don the purple and gold of the hated Vikings each winter.

a) It says right on the front page of today's sports section of the State Journal that if the Vikings signed him they would want him at all mini-camps and OTA's so I don't know where you came up with that one.

b) Are They? How many years have the Vikings looked awesome on paper and gotten their fans all excited about the season just to underachieve and be a disappointment?

c) Then Favre's even more clueless and egomaniacal than I thought. And there were many Packer fans who were glad that Moss wasn't signed by the team and annoyed that Favre had to whine about it to the press. I guess Viking fans don't care much about the rivalry either if they are willing to welcome Favre with open arms. Or are many Viking fans greatly opposed to the idea of Favre as a Vike?

Getting worked up over your team is hardly a habit that is exclusive to Packer fans. Are Viking fans any lass rabid when it comes to the Packers, Jason?

I think the Isthmus' ex-Minnesotan sports writer is trying to maintain the jaded detached sports reporter attitude by trivializing the emotions this has stirred in many Packer fans. However, his glee at how much angst this is causing Packer Nation is apparent.

I guess it's hard to understand if you've never had someone like Brett Favre on a team you support.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 06, 2009 9:52 am

jjoyce wrote:It's hilarious to me that anyone would actually waste the energy to be upset about this. Packer fans get what they deserve by being far too emotionally invested in a pro sports franchise staffed by guys who play off-season golf with the guys who don the purple and gold of the hated Vikings each winter.

I don't have anything against Favre playing for the Vikings. If he feels like he's still got gas in the tank, he should go for it. My problem is how he's going about it. Millions of people used to worship Favre but between his childish temper tantrums and ridiculous indecision, many of those former fans wouldn't buy a Favre jersey anymore. And they wouldn't donate to his favorite charity or buy Wrangler jeans just because he said so. It's like he's intent on destroying his own reputation. Where's his agent in all of this? His agent should be saying, "Hey Brett, if you want to play go ahead and play, but don't alienate your fans or it will hurt you in the long run."

Maybe the media is just making a lot of this up. Maybe Favre hasn't been all that forthcoming about his desire to stick it to the Packers. But if he's out for revenge, he'll do more damage to himself than he ever could to the Packers.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 am

Maybe the Vikes are a far better team than the Jets. Maybe a lot of things.

The Packers decided to turn their backs on a legend, a legend that got them to the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME the year before. He got pissed and acted a little babyish (hardly seemed as bad as the media--particularly the local media made it seem). Some fans bought into the Packers move and decided to jump on the "Brett Favre is a punk" bandwagon. He isn't. What did he actually do that was so awful? Tell me. Then compare it to any number of things that the average misbehaving sports clown gets into on a weekly basis and you may have a point. Its funny, if a guy got my team to the NFC title game that year, it might take a little more than a brief retirement to get me to turn my back on him, but that's just me.

After what Brett Favre did for this franchise, he should have been welcomed back with open arms. Instead he is spurned for a shiny new toy. And many Packer fans hate him because of it. IMO, if you are a sports legend, you have the right to a mulligan (or three). Clemens the scumbag came out of retirement how many times for prorated 20 mill contracts, no one even notices. Favre wants another shot to play the game he loves after being dissed by the team he played for his entire career, and he's described as "sticking it" to the Packers. They already stuck it to him.

We all know he wanted to play for the Vikes or Bears last year, but was blocked. Now he has the opportunity to play in the NFC North. Let him. Favre haters, if Rodgers is the second coming you should have nothing to worry about. Put your faith in your team and let it go. If he "sticks it" to the Packers, then you know the franchise (and their fickle fans) made the wrong decision.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 06, 2009 10:30 am

mifflander wrote:I think the Isthmus' ex-Minnesotan sports writer is trying to maintain the jaded detached sports reporter attitude by trivializing the emotions this has stirred in many Packer fans. However, his glee at how much angst this is causing Packer Nation is apparent.

I guess it's hard to understand if you've never had someone like Brett Favre on a team you support.

Kirby Puckett. Kent Hrbek. Fran Tarkenton. Alan Page. Frank Viola. Gilles Meloche. Bobby Smith. Kevin Garnett. I mean, I know you people think #4 created sports heroism, but come on!

Incidentally, I liked the Vikings and pro football a lot more before average NFL fan turned into a 24/7 "what have you done for me lately", booing-at-the-draft, car-flag-flying, loyalty-questioning buffoon who has his wallet out every single time his team adds a seat license fee or changes its road uniforms. It's not limited to Green Bay and definitely includes Minnesota.

But look around at the rest of sports. Guys are switching sides all the time, if not getting arrested or being exposed as cheaters. And if you've gotten to the point where Cirque de Favre is ripping at your heart or whatever, then you probably needed to have a look at your priorities a long time ago. The same jerks who disappear from their families for 16+ weeks every fall are talking about loyalty now?

This is going to be a great story if only because people in this state are apoplectic about what's happening. Can't wait for the plane tracking to begin.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking