MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

2008 Pack Schedule Released

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

2008 Pack Schedule Released

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:54 pm

2008 Green Bay Packers Regular Season Schedule:

Date Opponent Time
Mon., Sept. 8 Minnesota Vikings 6 p.m.
Sun., Sept. 14 @ Detroit Lions 12 noon
Sun., Sept. 21 Dallas Cowboys 7:15 p.m.
Sun., Sept. 28 @ Tampa Bay 12 noon
Sun., Oct. 5 Atlanta Falcons 12 noon
Sun., Oct. 12 @ Seattle Seahawks 3:15 p.m.
Sun., Oct. 19 Indianapolis Colts 3:15 p.m.
Sun., Oct. 26 Open Date
Sun., Nov. 2 @ Tennessee Titans 12 noon
Sun., Nov. 9 @ Minnesota Vikings 12 noon
Sun., Nov. 16 Chicago Bears 12 noon
Mon., Nov. 24 @ New Orleans Saints 7:30 p.m.
Sun., Nov. 30 Carolina Panthers 12 noon
Sun., Dec. 7 Houston Texans 12 noon
Sun., Dec. 14 @ Jacksonville Jaguars 12 noon
Mon., Dec. 22 @ Chicago Bears 7:30 p.m.
Sun., Dec. 28 Detroit Lions 12 noon

I don't know about you, but as of right now that looks like an evil schedule.

That first seven games is especially brutal - I think the Pack can consider themselves fortunate if they can limp into the bye week at 4-3. The Lambeau mystique will be put to test early - if they can somehow sweep the Vikings, the Cowboys and the Colts at home we'll know that Rogers is for real.

The backside of the schedule doesn't get much - if any - easier; five of the last nine on the road, including the Saints, the Vikings, the Jaguars and the Bears.

I hate to disappoint those who stereotype me as a hopeless homer, but I'm thinking the 2008 Packers will fall at least two games off of last year's pace - and possibly as many as five.

So there's my pre-draft prediction - somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6. Since I expect the NFC North to be extremely competitive this year (shades of 1978), even a 9-7 finish might be good enough to cop a repeat divisional title.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Das Binky » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:26 am

I'm with ya. I'm guessing 9-7, assuming Rodgers doesn't turn out to be a complete asshat.
Das Binky

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:29 am

Maybe if McCarthy started videotaping other teams coaches and went undefeated in the regular season we could get a cake schedule like the Pats this year.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Das Binky » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:38 am

fisticuffs wrote:Maybe if McCarthy started videotaping other teams coaches and went undefeated in the regular season we could get a cake schedule like the Pats this year.

Snark aside, 88% of the schedule is completely predetermined years ahead of time. 6 division games, 4 games against a rotating AFC division (AFC South), 4 games against a rotating NFC division (NFC South), 2 games based on final seeding (Dallas & Seattle). Cake schedule is just luck based on who's good or bad this year. At least the NFC South is reasonably mediocre, so that helps us a bit.

Look on the bright side: the Pats will almost certainly do worse this year, at least in the regular season.
Das Binky

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:42 am

The Patriots do have a very favorable schedule, but the imbalance within its own division is a bit puzzling. Both the Pats and Jets play @San Diego, @San Fran, @Oakland, @Seattle. That's 4 cross-country trips, whereas Miami and Buffalo play all 4 at home.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:42 am

And Why couldn't they take the 7th pick in the draft from NE instead of the 31st? I understand they got that pick from another team but it's still their first pick is it not?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:50 am

fisticuffs wrote:And Why couldn't they take the 7th pick in the draft from NE instead of the 31st? I understand they got that pick from another team but it's still their first pick is it not?

From what I've heard, Goodell would have only taken a second rounder away from the Pats if they didn't have 2 1st rounders. It still amounted to the harshest penalty levied in league history.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:52 am

Not harsh enough. Drag that cheater Bilicheck out into the street by his hoody and horse whip him. Banned For Life from the NFL. That works for me.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:51 pm

10-6, but if i'm optimistic, 11-5
square
Forum Addict

Postby buckyor » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:59 pm

I think the success of the Packers this coming season is largely contingent upon Aaron Rodgers (1) remaining healthy over the course of the season and (2) performing at a reasonably competent level. If neither of those come to pass, it could be a long season in Green Bay. I'm more optomistic about the latter than the former.

Assuming he does stay healthy and perform well, I see no reason why the Packers shouldn't win 10-12 games. For starters, they ought to win 5 of 6 within the division, which is still weak. Let's be conservative and give them 4. After that, they have home games against the Cowboys (L- even though Dallas has never won in Lambeau), Falcons (W, with extreme prejudice), Colts (L-though not the toughest game of the year), Panthers (W), and Texans (W). Road games are against Tampa Bay (W), Seattle (L), Tennessee (W), New Orleans (W), and Jaguars (L- this is the toughest game of the year). And several of those games I've listed as Ls could easily become Ws (Dallas, Seattle), while the only W I could see flipping would be Tampa.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:41 pm

What's so different from last year that the should have a let down?

Okay, seriously. Rodgers could actually be a better quarterback in the win-loss column why still not being the greatness of Favre. They should win the home opener if for no other reason than the retiring of No. 4 (When was the last time that the Packers retired a number--was it Reggie White's--before that?).
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:36 pm

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2003/05/08/1/

They would have officially retired Hornung's #5, but he lost it gambling.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jimoo742 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:59 am

fisticuffs wrote:Not harsh enough. Drag that cheater Bilicheck out into the street by his hoody and horse whip him. Banned For Life from the NFL. That works for me.

Good grief, give it up. Might as well ban all teams since they all do the same thing, they just don't get caught. He was found guilty of taping one half of one game that didn't affect playoff seedings at all and was fined a ridiculous amount.
jimoo742

Postby Marvell » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:17 am

With the regular season looming, last night's game with the Titans left me with a couple of impressions:

1.) The Packers are totally loaded at linebacker and wide receiver. Every other part of their roster has serious question marks.

2.) Flynn looks like someone who can help them at QB, but I still think Thompson will be watching the rest of the league's discard pile, and will jump on any experienced signal callers that might get cut.

3.) Special teams look as good as they've been since the Nolan Cromwell days.

Again, I fully expect this to be a down year for the NFC North - 9-7 might win the division. With that in mind, I'm cautiously optimistic that the Packers will finish no worse than .500 - and no better than 10-6.

Anyone want to tell me why I'm on crack?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:33 am

I'm naming my first born Scorpio Babers.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking