MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Now will you Brewer fans come in and start talking?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:59 pm

Starting at around 7 pm, talk becomes instantly inconsequential and needs to be replaced by, erm, walking. Or something.

I plan on listening to at least a chunk of the game while playing catch in my backyard, which led to good things during the Minnesota Twins' 1987 season.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:18 pm

"Dick Pole's gonna make a trip to the mound" has got to be a new come-on line somewhere.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bob Cobb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:16 am

Honest question...

Do you talk how you type?
Bob Cobb
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:16 am

Does anyone else think that CC's arm is gonna fall off by October? I don't see how you can justify letting your ace throw 130 pitches with a 6-7 run lead. Hell, that's the ideal situation to bring in Gagne. I realize they don't have to worry about his future since he'll be gone after this year, but it's a strange way to handle a pitcher that was clearly gassed in the playoffs last year.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:29 am

He's thrown the most innings of any pitcher this year. I think he'll be fine in the playoffs. He's out there auditioning right now. Any chance in hell the Crew can sign this guy after this year? The guy can go anywhere he wants and get a fat contract. NL Cy Young? He's 8-0 with what 5 CG's and 2 shutouts. 1.60 ERA. If he stays anywhere near those numbers how can you say there is a better NL pitcher?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:38 am

What is he "auditioning" for? Quite frankly, his value can't get much higher than it is right now. The Brewers certainly aren't showcasing him, since they don't own his rights. Not sure what you're getting at.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:14 am

I don't know about you, but whenever I've had a rental car I've made a point to beat the shit out of it. Hopefully Yost doesn't adhere to that philosophy.

CC seems to be very cognizant of his own body and how far he can push it. CC strong like ox.

Brewers should offer him a two-year deal for about $45 million.

The NL Cy Young might be Brandon Webb's to lose right now, but CC is a strong contender, especially with the number of innings pitched and number of strikeouts he's got. If CC somehow goes undefeated for the Brewers it's gonna be interesting.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:49 am

Where is the chatter? I see more posts about the Packers here, get into it, you're...gulp...in a pennant race! Now, get out there and buy those playoff tickets, and get excited!

IMO, CC will not choke in the playoffs like he did last year. He will be facing NL teams without the DH and that certainly helps. Also, I think they will start to rest he and Sheets more if the Brewers ever end up with an insurmountable wild card lead.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:51 am

I gotta hand it to the Cubs. No collapse thus far and playing great baseball. I think Milwaukee has the talent to beat them but I doubt they will catch up in the division race. Wild Card is still playoffs and its a step closer but with all the cards kind of on the table I think something is gonna have to pull these guys together and the team has to get hot starting right now. The Cubs don;t show any signs of cooling off.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:05 am

If the Cubs win the division, and the Brewers the WC, the Cubs will have to face a very tough Arizona playoff rotation in the Division Series. They have been playing great ball and are the favorites to make it to the WS, but they have to get by arguably the toughest rotation in baseball. The Brewers will draw the Mets or Phillies, who they match up with fairly well. I think the Brewers have a real shot at getting into the NLCS this year if they make the WC.

The Brewers and Red Sox had tough losses their last game. Both teams need to stay the course and get streaky to make the playoffs. IMO, the Brewers have the better chance. Its exciting to watch!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeatStick » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:22 am

boston_jeff wrote:The Brewers and Red Sox had tough losses their last game. Both teams need to stay the course and get streaky to make the playoffs. IMO, the Brewers have the better chance. Its exciting to watch!

I think you're a track with the Brewers - there's no reason they can't get the wildcard and beat either the Mets or the Phillies.

The Brewers have a real shot at taking home field from whomever they play (if they make the WC), as I can't see a team beating both Sheets and CC back to back. Dare I hope for both to win?
Last edited by MeatStick on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:24 am

Think you meant CC not J.J.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeatStick » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:02 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Think you meant CC not J.J.

Indeed I did.

Gracias
MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:57 pm

OK, so maybe the Brewers don't match up that well against the Mets...

Can you say Pedroia for AL MVP? Kid is on fire...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeatStick » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:28 pm

Thanks for jinxing the team...

I still think the Mets and Brewers are a decent match up - take away one or three innings this series and it's pretty close.

Yesterday's game was one pitch.

Hard to watch.
MeatStick
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking