MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Now will you Brewer fans come in and start talking?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby nevermore » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:48 pm

That's not as hard as it was to watch the Cubs this week. Horrible! We're DOOOOOMED!!
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeatStick » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:32 am

nevermore wrote:That's not as hard as it was to watch the Cubs this week. Horrible! We're DOOOOOMED!!

You're just figuring that out?

You've been "doomed" for decades...
MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:46 am

I think that the lack of a proven closer may have something to do with the Brewers' troubles. For all the money they spent shoring up their bullpen this year, they probably should have re-signed Coco. If there's one thing I know, its that pitching wins championships. Adding CC was huge, but without a proven closer, its tough. Hopefully, Torres can figure it out, we know Gagne can't.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hi, i'm new here » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:13 pm

Resigning Cordero would have been a huge waste of money. 4 years? He's proven to be a mediocre closer, as he was in Texas. As a brewer fan, I'm very glad Cincy one-upped the Crew on the offer.

Not that spending $10 million on Gagne was smart, but it's a one-year mistake versus a four-year mistake.

I agree that pitching is important, Jeff, but the closer spot (and save statistic) is way overrated.
hi, i'm new here

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:34 pm

hi, i'm new here wrote:Resigning Cordero would have been a huge waste of money. 4 years? He's proven to be a mediocre closer, as he was in Texas. As a brewer fan, I'm very glad Cincy one-upped the Crew on the offer.

Not that spending $10 million on Gagne was smart, but it's a one-year mistake versus a four-year mistake.

I agree that pitching is important, Jeff, but the closer spot (and save statistic) is way overrated.

Both may be overrated when it comes to longterm contracts, but not when it comes to short-term winning. Especially in the playoffs and the pennant race. When you're beating up on the Pirates, its easy to overlook relief pitching. Not so much against the Mets or Cubs (or the AL). As the fan of a team that often tried the closer-by-committee tack during the Duquette era, its not usually something that works, and it definitely does not work in the postseason.

Coco was a bit overvalued, but you can bet he is better than what they have now and could be a difference maker in a playoff series. They could have also signed a free agent closer. I think the club has done great with their moves this year, this is one area that may end up hurting them.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:14 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Where is the chatter? I see more posts about the Packers here, get into it, you're...gulp...in a pennant race!

Bump. Fuck football.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:26 pm

Splitting with the Pads, I guess it could be worse. Hopefully, the Brewers will be able to hold off for the playoffs. They will need to ride CC and Sheets' arms to the postseason, lets hope they can rest them both a little before the NLDS. Makes all the difference in the world. CC struggled last year because he "stacked up more innings than pancakes."
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:43 pm

A win.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:52 pm

boston_jeff wrote:A win.

Finally! A win!
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Previous