MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
breese stevens field
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Favre cries his way to the Jets

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby dstol62 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:22 pm

If either side had been classy about it, they would have come out and said (collectively) that there was a personality conflict between Favre and Thompson. I actually think Thompson had Favre in his crosshairs from day one. Now with Rodgers, it will be a MIRACLE if the Pack does much better than 9-7. What happens if Rodgers goes down after the trade deadline? McCarthy's press conference bordered on the bizarre. He talked about "mindsets" like he took a correspondence course in pop-pysch. The bottom line is, things will probably get worse in Green Bay before they get better, and we were all here to witness it.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:26 pm

Its a good team with or without Favre. I'm just happy its over. Favre starting? Ok. Rogers? Fin. Competition? Sure why not. The only scenario I would not have accepted was Favre in a Vikings uniform. But now it would mean 3 1st rounders so even that isnt so bad. A-Rodge will do just fine. If he goes down there are guys to back him up. A good line. a good running game. What could be a great defense. No worries. Pack edges out the Vikes for the division.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:58 pm

What does the Packers QB depth chart look like now? Should they pick up Pennington? I mean, they gotta have at least one veteran QB on the roster, right? I heard Tommy Maddox is in the mix again.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wanda » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:23 pm

I'm betting Rogers first pass against the Vikings on September 8th is an interception.

OK...It's more of "hoping Rogers first pass is an interception"...
Wanda
Forum Addict

Postby doppel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:47 pm

"Wanda" I'm betting Rogers first pass against the Vikings on September 8th is an interception.
OK...It's more of "hoping Rogers first pass is an interception"...

Well, at least it's unlikely that his first pass will be to himself.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:22 pm

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/app ... /frontpage

I may be projecting here but the look on Favre's face seems to convey "Holy fucking shit, what the fuck is going on, am I really doing this, this is nuts!" and it is 1/3 cup of excitement mixed with equal cups of fear and uncertainty.

I imagine he's feeling like a middle aged married man entering a devious rendevous with a younger woman. It really looks like he's going to have some fun over there at first. They start out the season facing the Dolphins; you couldn't ask for a better team to play in the transistion... but ultimately the Jets as a whole will have a "ho hum" year that is at most 4 wins better than last year. Signing Favre does make for better ratings though.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Dulouz » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:35 pm

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:Favre's indecisiveness and instability were what led to this, along with a new regime that took stock and said, "We don't need to deal with this anymore."

Or, it might have a little something to do with the 14 to 16 interceptions so Favre threw in the final games of each season for the past 8 years or so. Many of them playof run-killing interceptions.

They put a happy face on it, but I don't believe Favre played within the system as much as McCarthy wanted. I doubt there was a truly serious personal conflict between Thompson and Favre, at first---until you realize Favre had the temerity to take umbrage when Thompson, you know, made decisions as GM.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:19 pm

fisticuffs wrote:So how many of these should I order?
http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.js ... age=family

If you're a Packer fan? Zero.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:27 pm

crevice beatle wrote:http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

I may be projecting here but the look on Favre's face seems to convey "Holy fucking shit, what the fuck is going on, am I really doing this, this is nuts!" and it is 1/3 cup of excitement mixed with equal cups of fear and uncertainty.

Take out the excitement 1/3. He's going to have to run for his life, so it's kind of like that fun little game in Apocalypto. If you can make it to the cornfield alive, you get to go to the playoffs. What fun.
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:38 am

The latest reports are that Coles is not happy with the Farve situation. The two met and afterward Coles refused comment to the media. Farve, being the bitch he's turned into, babbled about it in a news conference. They are saying the damage will have a lasting effect.
Again, Farve's egocentric way of looking at a situation is destroying a team's focus. Apparently, he never considered that some of the guys on the Jets might be miffed about their 8-year veteran QB getting thrown out to the curb.
Now that the Jets situation is not the paradise he expected, I would not be surprised to see him retire before the start of the season, or shortly after the ass-kicking he will recieve in Week 2.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking