MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, January 25, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Is Golf a Sport?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Is Golf a sport?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 5

Is Golf a Sport?

Postby MeatStick » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:21 am

This has come up in other threads, and I stumbled across this article, which put it in perspective (for me).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4157 ... ort-or-not

Anyone have an opinion other than "who cares?"
MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:23 am

You Should make "Who Cares?" a poll option.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeatStick » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:07 pm

fisticuffs wrote:You Should make "Who Cares?" a poll option.

And you should learn to read...

MeatStick wrote:Anyone have an opinion other than "who cares?"

Don't hurt yourself "thinking" up a lame reply.

Thanks for the contribution.
MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:09 pm

Interesting article - I don't exactly agree with the characterizations of other sports but it does sum up my feelings about golf pretty well. I personally play about 10-15 times a season and I tend to get a bit emotional about my game when, as often happens, things don't go so well. I'd say this is mainly because I never play "against" other players - i.e. I don't bet on holes, I don't do match play or try to come in below others' scores. I always play against myself (as well as the course), and this is why I keep going back. I'm not good enough to beat a lot of people, but if I improve my game slightly it still is a success and conversely if I flub a shot that I know I'm capable of I'm disappointed. There's enough upside to make it worthwhile, which is why I still bother to go out.

So for me, yeah sure, golf is a sport. It takes just as much physical coordination for me to hit a four wood as it does for me to hit a baseball. Strength and skill are certainly necessary, and to an extent endurance. For me it is an enjoyable pastime that requires physical and mental abilities, and I consider that a sport.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeatStick » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I too play golf, but don't really consider it a sport so much as entertainment - like playing cards.

you had me until...

wallrock wrote:It takes just as much physical coordination for me to hit a four wood as it does for me to hit a baseball.

If the baseball was on a tee, I'd agree - or if you're really that good at hitting a baseball, who do you play for?
MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:33 pm

MeatStick wrote:If the baseball was on a tee, I'd agree - or if you're really that good at hitting a baseball, who do you play for?

I guess I should have prefaced that by saying hitting either well. Yeah, it's not to hard to make contact with the golf ball when it's just sitting there (ignoring all the times I've cranked up for a monster drive and completely missed...) but it takes a lot of factors in the swing being just right to hit the proper distance, direction, angle, etc. For baseball, I'd say most people could bunt and even foul a few fastballs off but it takes a lot of coordination to go the other way or otherwise direct a hit. Personally, I was more of a contact hitter in high school and college intramural - never all that good but I rarely struck out. I haven't played in years though.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking