MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Brewers Going to the Playoffs

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Brewers Going to the Playoffs

Postby nevermore » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Possibly. That is, 2007 Brewers Gabe Gross, Grant Balfour, Scott Linebrink and Geoff Jenkins. 2008 Brewers? Who knows now.

Sorry. I'm just sick of talking about Sarah Palin in here.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:52 am

Put a fork in 'em, the Brewers are done.

Yost needs to go.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby MeatStick » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:11 pm

Right Bower wrote:Put a fork in 'em, the Brewers are done.

Yost needs to go.

Agreed.
MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:15 pm

As fun as these Brewers are to follow, Doug Melvin simply hasn't built a slump-proof operation. These Brewers are all about strong starters and long balls. If they fail to get either, they suck.

No decent middle relief and no ability to manufacture runs rarely works when you are dominated by youth. See Philadelphia, a team with Milwaukee's power, but also the ability to bunt guys over when they need insurance runs.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:10 pm

Yost out... can't get any links to work on jsonline.com for details, however.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:20 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3589405

Y'know, I was gonna ask earlier today if anyone thought it possible that the team would make this move at this point in the season.

Guess they would.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:24 pm

When the Brewers are on their game they're fearsome, but when they slump it's not pretty. When you live by the long ball you die by it as well. The Cubs used to be that way for years, but I'm much happier with the current alignment, which values on-base percentage as to power. Of course, there's probably no such thing as a slump-proof team across 162 games

I don't think the Brewers are completely out of it but I'd say they've got to play .750 baseball to hold off the Phils/Mets. I don't see that happening unless the Brewers sweep the Cubs at Wrigley, and I'd rather not see that happen.

EDIT - now that they've dumped Yost I think they're probably done. I like Sveum but I don't think he's going to be able to motivate.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:59 pm

I guess Melvin's thinking is that something needed to be done to shake thinigs up. I think it's too late, but we'll see what happens.

I don't think the issue with the Brewers' lack of offense has to do with whether they can bunt. Bunting just puts a guy in scoring position. You still need to get the base hit to score the guy. And there are only three or four guys in that lineup who even have a chance of getting that done. Hell, I'd rather have CC Sabathia come up with guys on base than Rickie Weeks, Bill Hall, or Mike Cameron.

The run production problem is a function of a leadoff hitter who is never on base when the big bats come up, as well as having half of the everyday starters hitting below .250. It's ok to have one or two guys that can't hit if they can field; for instance, Jason Kendall is a huge upgrade behind the plate over the putz that was there last year. But Rickie Weeks as a leadoff hitter is simply a joke.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:11 pm

buckyor wrote: But Rickie Weeks as a leadoff hitter is simply a joke.

That right there is reason enough for me to have Yost packing his bag. Undying loyalty to a player who isn't getting the job done.

Speaking of which, when is Dusty Baker going to end his love affair with Corey Patterson?
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:38 pm

I agree that Weeks needs to be benched. Who ever heard of a leadoff hitter that nearly leads a team in strike outs? Plus he's below average defensively. They didn't bring in Durham to sit on the bench, I have a feeling Svuem will be given marching orders with flipping these guys around.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby nevermore » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:55 pm

Right Bower wrote:Speaking of which, when is Dusty Baker going to end his love affair with Corey Patterson?

Hopefully, never.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:57 pm

I don't know how you let go of your manager this late in the year, while your team is still in contention. Dale Sveum was inept as a third base coach; I fail to see how he's an upgrade over Yost.

I think Melvin dumped him now because he feared how difficult that move would be if, God forbid, they made a run in the playoffs.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:17 pm

O.J. wrote:I don't know how you let go of your manager this late in the year, while your team is still in contention. Dale Sveum was inept as a third base coach; I fail to see how he's an upgrade over Yost.

I think Melvin dumped him now because he feared how difficult that move would be if, God forbid, they made a run in the playoffs.

Totally agree, desperation move with fingers crossed hoping this will shake things up and motivate the players. Sveum is a joke and he will not be the motivator that Yost supposedly was not. Yost was not the problem, the players and the front office are to blame. He will continue to succeed as a MLB manager in another market. Look at the Brewer's record since he was hired, then look at the 5 years before. No manager can guarantee a playoff spot without a leadoff hitter, consistent middle relief, and a proven closer. He did as well as to be expected with the team Melvin fielded. Sveum will do worse.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:04 pm

There's no way this was Melvin's call. Dumping the manager is a big deal and when you do it with 12 games left, in the thick of playoff contention, there needs to be at least a "say the word" deal with the owner.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:28 pm

boston_jeff wrote:
Totally agree, desperation move with fingers crossed hoping this will shake things up and motivate the players. Sveum is a joke and he will not be the motivator that Yost supposedly was not. Yost was not the problem, the players and the front office are to blame. He will continue to succeed as a MLB manager in another market. Look at the Brewer's record since he was hired, then look at the 5 years before. No manager can guarantee a playoff spot without a leadoff hitter, consistent middle relief, and a proven closer. He did as well as to be expected with the team Melvin fielded. Sveum will do worse.

Look, the fault has to be placed somewhere in these situations, and it's the manager's fault. It has always happened this way. His job is to get wins with the team he's got, right? The Brewers have been flirting with leading the division all season, and they can't get it done. What's Melvin going to do, fire the team but keep Yost?

If Yost had a problem with his leadoff man, he shouldn't have played him as much as he did. If he had a problem with Gagne, he shouldn't have stuck by him at times when he did. Are you saying his hands were tied with these two idiots?

Their middle relief is terrible, to be sure.

Sveum won't be the manager to lead them to the promised land, but firing Yost now is the only time other than the post-game press conference after the last game of the season that's ok with me.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking