MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Brewers Going to the Playoffs

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby minicat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:24 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Thats true, but seven blown saves (out of 34) is a lot. Add Gagne's (also 7) and the rest of the bullpen's (Riske 5, Mota 2) woes, and you have part of the Brewer's problem as I see it. Coco is converting about 84% of saves. Torres converts a little under 80% which is great for a scrap heap pickup, but if you factor in the blown saves of Gagne and the others, its got to be much much lower as a team. If Cordero was on this team converting 84% (not stellar but better than the closer-by-committee approach) all year they are in the playoffs, no? You may not like paying closer money, and his stats may not be all-star level this year, but I think Coco would have converted enough of those saves (21 blown between the 4 guys mentioned) statistically to push them over the hump.

Middle relief is also a problem, but almost every team has their issues with middle relief. I agree that the hitting being very one-dimensional is def. a huge part of it too.

You can't add the middle relief blown saves onto the closer question. That's an entirely different issue. Or would Cordero magically be converting saves in the 7th inning? I don't remember him doing that when he was in Brewtown.

I think considering they were idiotic enough to go into the season with gagne as closer, they fixed that problem just fine. Cordero being here or not wouldn't have made much difference, beyond the fact that we'd be paying him a crapload in years 2-4 of the contract when he's sucking (which seems to be what happens with about 95 percent of age 30 plus closers with big contracts).

Here's hoping Melvin can come up with a better option next year. I agree that you can't count on Torres beyond any kind of scrapheap savior situation.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:42 pm

Yes, Torres has been good, and was the answer to the Gagne problem (he's filled in admirably). And closers like Cordero are not usually worth it in the long-term, but could be in the short-term. I still think Coco's admittedly piss-poor conversion rate of 84% would have added wins, even if you factor out Riske and Mota who were most likely not pitching in the ninth. Gagne has 10 saves, Torres 27 (37 total), Gagne and Torres each blew 7 (14 total). Thats 73% conversion for 37 saves/wins. 84% gives you close to 43 saves/wins, a difference of 7 games.

Its fantasy and Monday morning quarterbacking, but its seven more wins. Even with the terrible hitting, things would be lined up pretty well. The Brewers are in the playoffs, Yost is candidate for manager of the year, Melvin is a genius, Dale Sveum is still waving in runners, the fans are happy. :o
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:00 pm

True. It is a fickle game.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:02 pm

boston_jeff wrote:... Yost is candidate for manager of the year ... :o

that just gave me the shivers. heh.

I feel bad for Yost, because I think he's a nice guy, and firing the manager with twelve games left when you're in line to make the playoffs is completely unprofessional on the part of the organization. But man, it's also hard to argue he didn't deserve it. I just wish they had done it after last season when they should have.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:10 pm

Who do you think they will go after as manager candidates?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:42 pm

If Sveum saves their ass, he'll be annointed savior and get the job. If not ... probably someone crappier than Yost. Houston already got my replacement pick, Cecil Cooper. It'd be interesting to see what Robin would do, but I don't think he's that interested. And maybe it's time to stop going to the well of 1982 Brewers for managerial consideration.

Otherwise, someone different than the usual skipper scrapheap recycle jobs would be nice. No Showalter, please. At least we theoretically don't have to worry about arm-shredder Dusty Baker. Are there any genius coaches floating around we can poach?

I think Willie Randolph deserves another chance.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:19 pm

Randolph, Showalter def. in the mix. Sveum is out no matter what happens.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:55 pm

Man. That was a home run. Prince sparked a rally by shoving a pitcher. Maybe jawing at the fans after that shot will wake some Brewers up.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeatStick » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:11 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Man. That was a home run. Prince sparked a rally by shoving a pitcher. Maybe jawing at the fans after that shot will wake some Brewers up.

Too bad Prince was the only Brewer that came to play last night. Needs to lay off the 97mph high cheese though (last at bat).

I hope the Brewers keep him (throw some of that Gagne money at him).

That was a tremendous home run.

"Something flies that far, it should have a flight attendant (quote changed to be more PC) on it".
MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:04 am

MeatStick wrote:I hope the Brewers keep him (throw some of that Gagne money at him).

I'd like to see that too, but I don't think it'll happen. Fielder's a Boras client and a lot of small-payroll teams just can't deal with the guy.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:21 am

The Brewers are no longer small payroll.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:57 am

Yeah, they're not small payroll by the definition of Oakland or Tampa Bay, but I don't see them keeping payroll up over $90M. The Braun deal was basically unprecedented and Melvin isn't going to have the means to pull of the kind of deal that Boras will demand.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:03 am

True enough, but what is the market for an overweight 1B/DH type going to be? I just don't see a lot of clubs ponying up huge dollars for a guy like Prince. I agree that the Brewers won't sink meeeellions (nor should they), but I wonder who will be crazy enough to pull the trigger?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 am

boston_jeff wrote:True enough, but what is the market for an overweight 1B/DH type going to be? I just don't see a lot of clubs ponying up huge dollars for a guy like Prince. I agree that the Brewers won't sink meeeellions (nor should they), but I wonder who will be crazy enough to pull the trigger?

Or am I crazy?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:26 am

boston_jeff wrote:True enough, but what is the market for an overweight 1B/DH type going to be? I just don't see a lot of clubs ponying up huge dollars for a guy like Prince. I agree that the Brewers won't sink meeeellions (nor should they), but I wonder who will be crazy enough to pull the trigger?

I think if Prince had a stellar season this year he would have commanded a high price from some other team. But he didn't, so I doubt he will.

On the managerial note, I agree with you BF, Sveum is interim pretty much no matter what. He'd have to win the World Series to keep his current position.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking