MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Playoffs Round 2

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

WS matchups?

Phils-Rays
25%
Phils-Sox
No votes
Dodgers-Sox
75%

Total votes : 4

Playoffs Round 2

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Really enjoyed the Brewer game on Saturday, the fans were really into it, the place was full at first pitch, and the noise level was off the charts (aided by a closed roof--I still can't get behind that one tho'). Brewers won the game, but not the series--might've had a chance if CC won game two, but timely hitting was an issue, as it was down the stretch.

I'm predicting an LA-Boston WS with the Red Sox winning in 6 for obvious reasons (personal and rational), what do the rest of you forons think?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:10 pm

fisticuffs

no disrespect but the story line that would do the most for me would be Torre winning the WS after the Yaknholes fired him and Manny being Manny being the WS MVP against his old team.

boston_jeff

Torre absolutely deserves it after the pisspoor way the Spankees handled his contract (I will never understand the fascination with Joe Girardi as a player or as a manager--the guy sucks) and how his team played the Cubs in the NLDS.

After everything I've read and heard about the Manny thing in Boston, I can't really get behind wishing him well. He quit on his team, plain and simple. I love and respect him for what he did for the Red Sox most days, but any guy with that much talent who quits on his teammates (much less the fans) during a pennant race to get out of his contract, doesn't deserve the October spotlight. Jason Bay on the other hand...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Dodgers-Rays would be an interesting collision of history and "who the hell are these guys."

If the Brewers had been smart enough to not start Suckpan, maybe they would have had a chance.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:17 pm

If the Devil Rays hadn't changed their name to just Rays, I'd root for them.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:22 pm

I can easily see any of the four teams here making the WS.

I am rooting for the Phillies to get in because the Phils' fans deserve it more than TB and LA's fans do. But the LA-Bos storyline is a lot more fun, so I'm predicting that one (LA has better starting pitching too). Rays are obviously a great story that small-market fans can get behind, but sadly, nobody really cares.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeatStick » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:55 pm

LA - SOX

Boston in 6.
MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby MeatStick » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:50 am

MeatStick wrote:LA - SOX

Boston in 6.

Can I call it, or can I call it?

:wink:
MeatStick
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:32 am

I know, I really hope the Phillies win it now.

The Rays are the better team, and that ALCS was the WS as far as I'm concerned. I can't really be convinced that TB has real baseball fans or that they "deserve" a championship after a decade of futility/disinterest. I did see one guy with a "Devil Rays" shirt on that obviously has been a fan for awhile, but everyone else is a bandwagon jumper with a shiny new hat (see Dbacks fans in 2001).

Philadelphia hasn't had a major sports championship since 1983's Sixers and those are some serious sports fans in that city. I am definitely pulling for them. If the Rays win, its great for the players, even though in two years they will all be on the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, and Cubs. Kind of like the Dbacks and Marlins teams that won it over the last ten years.

I hope its a good series. When your team is in it, you want a sweep, but when you're more of a casual observer, its fun if it goes to six or seven!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:40 am

Philadelphia does not need a championship. "Serious sports fans?" They're a bunch of battery-throwing drunks.

Plus, a Rays championship gets Gabe Gross a ring and denies one to Geoff Jenkins. Bonus!
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:45 am

Yeah I dont know how I feel about Philla sports fans. They come off as pretty surly but they do have good reason. Still though you take it like a man when your team sucks you don;t throw batteries.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:45 am

Nice strike three call on Kotsay. Fuck. I hate sports. If Bo Ryan and the boys don't have a successful season, I fear I may drift into a severe sports depression. A taste of honey is certainly worse than none at all.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:58 am

O.J. wrote:If Bo Ryan and the boys don't have a successful season, I fear I may drift into a severe sports depression. A taste of honey is certainly worse than none at all.

Tell me about it. It's making the Badger Hockey team's 0-4 that much more painful.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:15 pm

nevermore wrote:
O.J. wrote:If Bo Ryan and the boys don't have a successful season, I fear I may drift into a severe sports depression. A taste of honey is certainly worse than none at all.

Tell me about it. It's making the Badger Hockey team's 0-4 that much more painful.

I've actually been preferring WORK to my usual October complement of baseball, hockey and football. That said, I'm torn between the Rays and the Phils. I know that the Philly fans have been waiting a while and I generally prefer the NL team to win (provided that team is not the Cards) but I too have been suckered in on the feel-good story that is the Rays. After seeing the ESPN special on Tropicana Field I thought anything that atrocious deserves a WS banner.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:18 pm

It was a big call in that spot but I think the strike three calls in game two were much worse. Last night he was calling 'em like that on both sides. Fact is, strike three calls didn't cause the Sox to lose. They just got outplayed in a Game seven (reverting back to the pre-2004 Sox?)

Philly fans are passionate and angry, and I love it. They love their Flyers, Eagles and Sixers too, and they know their shit. Batteries and Santa Claus are part of the package (the Vet had a courthouse in it for a reason). No one gave a fuck in TB until September and that's a fact. A Phillies win will be huge!

Learned, are you seriously trying to tell me that you want Gabe Gross to get a ring before Jenkins? Jenkins was a longtime Brewer (ten years) who they elected to let go, who now has a chance to finally win a championship. Gabe Gross is a scrub who can't even catch a flyball (2 years). On a smaller scale, the Jenkins story reminds me of Ray Bourque in Boston. Spent his entire career with one organization, and got traded to one with a chance for a title at the end of his career. I would think Brewer fans would be rooting for him to win one. I know we all rooted for Ray to win the cup with Colorado. Gabe Gross?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:42 pm

Just wanted to clarify that I wasn't blaming the umpires for the Red Sox loss; it was more of an excuse to vent. It's not like the correct call would have given Kotsay first base anyway. He and his teammates still would have needed a few clutch hits; unfortunately, that wasn't happening last night.

The Rays beat us fair and square. As much as I hate the guy right now, Garza's going to be challenging for Cy Young's in the very near future. He has dominating stuff and he knows it and it leads to the confidence and cockiness that most aces exude.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking