MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Whither Dan Patrick?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Whither Dan Patrick?

Postby markkay » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:25 pm

I heard on the radio that Fox Sports on 100.5 FM will be taken over by ESPN Radio in January. Apologies if this has been addressed before elsewhere, but I assume this means that I can no longer hear Dan Patrick in the morning. Does anybody know if the Dan Patrick Show will be availble elsewhere on the local radio dial?

I like Mike and Mike on ESPN, but I can only take Colin Cowherd in limited doses. As for anything else on Fox Sports Radio, I could do without pretty much all of them but Patrick. Oh, except that I think that the Homer's show on 100.5 is much better than Heller and Murphy. I hate to be mean, but Heller and Murphy are pretty awful most of the time.
markkay
Forum Addict

Re: Whither Dan Patrick?

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:38 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:42 pm

Thanks for the link. Don't know if I can get the non-100.5 channels, but I'll give it a try, assuming he doesn't land on a different local station.
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:55 pm

There is quite the local sports radio shake-up going on. AM 1070 WTSO is ditching ESPNRadio, and now you say the WWL is heading to FM. FoxSports is now homeless (although my first thought when I heard 1070 was shedding ESPN was that they'd be going Fox).

markkay, your taste in sports radio talk is fascinating. I mean that genuinely. Thank you, at least, for not being a Cowherd fan. The guy's a tool and a hack.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Totally disagree on the herd, i think its the best show to come out in years.

The best thing about this change is that with 1070 losing espn they will most likely get rid of Owen the bozo since his connection to the espn personalities is no longer a reason to keep him on the air. There cant be any other reason hes been on air this long.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:51 am

Peacetrain wrote:Totally disagree on the herd, i think its the best show to come out in years.

The best thing about this change is that with 1070 losing espn they will most likely get rid of Owen the bozo since his connection to the espn personalities is no longer a reason to keep him on the air. There cant be any other reason hes been on air this long.

Personally, I like Czaban the best, but all of them get tiring after a while.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:56 pm

Cowherd is brutal. His whole schtick is that he's either a [fill in the blank] guy or he's not. Who cares? He's formulaic in his approach, constantly trying to find just the right subject for his big market listeners. Guy's got nothing but cliches and rote observations about big-time teams like the Lakers, Ohio State football, etc. He's a front-runner.

As for Patrick, he's entertaining, but he's so buddy buddy with the jock-ocracy that it's hard to listen to sometimes. We get it, you're buds with Reggie Miller and now, thanks to the SI hookup, various swimsuit models. But don't try to pass yourself off as a regular guy who happened across this fortune. You were on national TV for 20 years.

I can't wait for Kornheiser to drop off Monday Night Football so he can return to radio, his true calling, full time. I listen to him when he's on and Dan Barreiro out of Minneapolis. Thanks to the magic of podcasting, others (Randy Galloway in Dallas comes to mind) are now readily available.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:40 pm

For my money (none), Boers and Bernstein out of Chicago (WSCR 670) is the best show on sports radio. Of course, you have to listen to talk about the Bearse and Cubs and Sox, though.

That station has Patrick's show on at night, too, but not sure what time.

I second or third (lost count) the Cowherd thumbs down.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:05 pm

Listening to Colin Cowherd makes kittens cry. He's the Natty Light of the sportstalk world.

Mike & Mike are good, although we only get the last hour on the radio here (the full show is on the Deuce though). I also like Tirico and Van Pelt, although I think it's actually better when Michelle Tafoya fills in for Van Pelt.

Dan Patrick is pretty good, but Kornheiser is even better. At least at everyting but MNF.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:10 pm

I can only hope that the somewhat irritating turn Mr. Tony has taken on MNF this season is indicative of his desire to be fired rather than his current style of expression. He's the best sports radio guy I've ever heard, not that I've heard a ton.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigote » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:37 pm

buckyor wrote:Colin Cowherd ... [i]s the Natty Light of the sportstalk world.

Which I suppose makes Jim Rome the Stella Artois.

:?
Bigote

Postby markkay » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:09 pm

Looks like DP is going to 1070. Hurrah (from me anyway)!
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:00 am

Bigote wrote:
buckyor wrote:Colin Cowherd ... [i]s the Natty Light of the sportstalk world.

Which I suppose makes Jim Rome the Stella Artois.

Are we doing this? 'Cuz I'll do this.

Cowherd: Natty Light
Rome: MIckey's Malt Liquor (fun while you're drinking, but you regret it after)
Dan Patrick: Spotted Cow (drinkable, but I fail to see what all the fuss is about)
Mike & Mike: Bud Light (if it's the only thing left in the cooler, I won't go thirsty. But it's barely anything to talk about)
Van Pelt/Tirico: Foster's oil can (there's a novelty factor in the packaging, but when it comes down to it, it's not really much different from anything else)
Heller/Murphy: Zima
Steve "The Homer" True: Miller High Life (better than most give it credit for)
Lucas/Lepay: Schlitz (reliable, good to have it more prominent)
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:48 am

Kornheiser: Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (bitter, only comes around certain times of year, but far and away the most interesting of the bunch)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby novicius » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:09 pm

Sweet mercy, thank you for asking this question! It might mark me as being nothing more than a flake and a follower but I love me some DP.

8)
novicius

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking