MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Thoughts About the Packers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Thoughts About the Packers

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:53 am

Now that the seasons over, it's a good time to reflect a little bit.

One of the big concerns about Aaron Rodgers, at least in my mind, was his durability. For all that went wrong this season, he pretty much put that concern to rest.

Special teams just killed them this year. While thinking about THAT, I remembered that Ryan Longwell and Craig Hentrich used to be Packers. Probably would have had a better record if they still were. I wonder if they'll replace Mason Crosby in the offseason. While he has made a lot of field goals, he wasn't exactly clutch, especially against the Bears and Vikings.

I wouldn't be surprised if TT and McCarthy are a lot more popular a couple of years from now. They'll still come off as arrogant, which they are, but people don't mind arrogant if it's successful arrogant.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Thoughts About the Packers

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:20 pm

The D was just way too beat up. You lose Jenkins at the beginning of the year and Barnett half way through. Bigby etc etc. They couldnt play the D they wanted to and made hardly any adjustments to work better with what they have. When you lose that big pass rush you gotta blitz every now and then and they didn't I'd get a new D coordinator and hope everyone heals up. A couple of kicks and a couple of stops and this team was in the playoffs a long time ago. Rogers played great.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:31 pm

This is a team that's one good off-season away from being a contender.

That said - is Thompson the guy to give them that good off-season? He's got everything a GM needs to effect a serious upgrade - salary cap room, decent draft position, and a deep enough roster that he doesn't necessarily have to draft for need. But does he know what he's doing?

Both lines need serious help. And as much as I love Al Harris and Woodson, they're both getting a little long in the tooth. So, that's where I would concentrate my free agent efforts - along with special teams. I would use the draft to provide some depth in the secondary, the linebacking corps (most under-performing part of the team, IMHO) and at running back.

I would also use one of my top three picks on a quarterback, in addition to trying to bring in an experienced back-up through free agency.

The receiving corps is as deep as any in the league. No need to do anything there.

Anyway, that's my $.02 USD.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:40 pm

gargantua wrote:Special teams just killed them this year.

My friends & I really embraced this Chiefs fan's hilarious take on Mike "Suck" Stock. Now all Packers special team blunders get a "Suck!" humorously yelled at the TV screen.

Packers, please fire Mike "Suck" Stock.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:51 pm

I hope Thompson changes his tune on free agency a bit this offseason. The last time he did it with Woodson, and he's turned out to be quite the acquisition for us. I would love if he picked up a veteren, probowl caliber defensive linesman to improve our pass rush and serve as a defensive leader. Too many quarterbacks on opposing teams with way too much time to find open receivers. Remember back when we picked up Reggie from the Eagles? You could just feel the a Superbowl in our future.

Some other random thoughts:

Fire our special teams coach. Make our newest punt kicker compete for his job. I don't believe we need to get rid of Crosby - some chokes this year, but I'm not convinced he needs to go. (he almost made that 69 yard attempt into the wind against the Bears)

Strengthen the offensive line.

I'm not sure how I'd distribute draft pics based on near future need (cornerbacks) vs. current need (o and d lines) vs. best player available regardless of posistion needs. I suppose this picture becomes clearer once you analyze what is available to us in the draft and free agency.

I think Thompson's and McCarthy's concept of Rodgers as more of a game manager was fine this season. I think that now that he has more of a comfort level starting in the NFL, they should allow him to open it up a bit more. No, he's not the same quarterback as Favre, and in many ways, this is a good thing... but the kid's got an arm and I think we could afford to allow him to take more risks and not hold onto the ball as long.

Continue to make Flynn and Brohm compete for the number 2 spot.

Also, next year: please, no handing off to the fullback on 3rd down and goal.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:20 pm

Somebody else needs to be calling plays, for one. McCarthy spent the whole season calling too conservatively for a team whose QB doesn't have his instincts under him yet -- Favre could balance that style out with his veteran gunslinging, but Rodgers is still too fresh. And even still, nobody could do anything with all those 3rd & 1, 4th & 1 runs up the gut that went nowhere. With the quality of the GB receiving corps, they need to be relying on the pass more.

It's probably time for a new def. coordinator, too. Yeah, they had some key injuries (I certainly didn't realize how important Barnett still was to the team until he got injured), but Harris and Woodson both got real old real fast toward the end of the season, and the gameplan never adjusted to any of it.

On special teams, draft Graham Gano. He can handle all the kicking, so a first round contract is essentially paying for two players. The Packers' punting especially was atrocious, and it'd be great to see them winning the field-position battle for once.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby Logjam » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:02 pm

They need a pass rusher to complement Kampman and at least one offensive tackle. We still need to see what Patrick Lee can do at corner but another wouldn't hurt, as somebody else said, the corners aren't getting any younger.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby JohnnyBlood » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:46 pm

Here are my thoughts:

There is a reason the Green Bay Packers are not spending money in free agency and hoarding cash. Either the team is frightened about the end of the collective bargaining agreement (CBA), which expires after the 2009 season and how it will impact the Packers with the possibility of no salary cap OR free agents can't stand Teddy Thompson. And with the personality of a cold, dead fish, I would understand that. He even sits alone all by himself in the sky box during games. He is clearly a arrogant dufus. Frankly, I think it is a little bit of both.

The Packers are in dire straights and no one seem to recognize it. Good football teams are built on a foundation of (1) strong OL and DL lines and (2) big play makers. The Packers have neither...and replacing all of the above would take years.

Teddy Thompson is to blame for many of the woes of this team. His first round selections of Justin Harrel and AJ Hawk were complete busts. He has spent hardly a dime in free agency for some reason. He completely mishandled the whole Brett Favre affair regardless of what side of the fence you sit on. He gave big bucks to a washed up KGB. He shit-canned a perfectly fine punter and replaced him with a poor one. He oversaw the hiring of a horrible special teams coach and defensive coordinator (and average head coach at best).

With the team performing in the cellar of the National Football League, no big bucks owner at the top, dwindling cash reserves at the end of the CBA, the disappearance of the salary cap, and a team that plays in the smallest market in all of professional sports, prospects couldn't be any more bleak and Teddy Thompson is the only man to blame. The end of the Green Bay Packers is nigh...and Teddy Thompson will be remembered with the likes of Ray "Scooter" McLean and Dan Devine in the annals of team history.
JohnnyBlood

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:56 pm

Here are my thoughts:

There is a reason the Green Bay Packers are not spending money in free agency and hoarding cash. Either the team is frightened about the end of the collective bargaining agreement (CBA), which expires after the 2009 season and how it will impact the Packers with the possibility of no salary cap OR free agents can't stand Teddy Thompson. And with the personality of a cold, dead fish, I would understand that. He even sits alone all by himself in the sky box during games. He is clearly a arrogant dufus. Frankly, I think it is a little bit of both.

The Packers are in dire straights and no one seem to recognize it. Good football teams are built on a foundation of (1) strong OL and DL lines and (2) big play makers. The Packers have neither...and replacing all of the above would take years.

Teddy Thompson is to blame for many of the woes of this team. His first round selections of Justin Harrel and AJ Hawk were complete busts. He has spent hardly a dime in free agency for some reason. He completely mishandled the whole Brett Favre affair regardless of what side of the fence you sit on. He gave big bucks to a washed up KGB. He shit-canned a perfectly fine punter and replaced him with a poor one. He oversaw the hiring of a horrible special teams coach and defensive coordinator (and average head coach at best).

With the team performing in the cellar of the National Football League, no big bucks owner at the top, dwindling cash reserves at the end of the CBA, the disappearance of the salary cap, and a team that plays in the smallest market in all of professional sports, prospects couldn't be any more bleak and Teddy Thompson is the only man to blame. The end of the Green Bay Packers is nigh...and Teddy Thompson will be remembered with the likes of Ray "Scooter" McLean and Dan Devine in the annals of team history.

So you're an optimist then? I think you're being a little gloom and doom. A year ago this team was very deep on the D-line. We let one of those guys go and lost several more to injury. I don't think Harrel and Hawk are busts. Hawk has played well. Not All-Pro well but decently enough to compliment the players around him. He was forced out of position this year due to injuries. Harrel as well. He's been hurt all but a few games since being drafted. Maybe that is a bust but i'd like to give the guy a full year of football before I make that determination. The Packers need depth at corner and on the o-line. Healthy and maybe with a big free agent the D line is golden. Tauscher and Clifton should be good enough at Tackle. Clifton is likely at the end of his career. The guys we've brought in on the inside havent worked out that well. They also have been forced to move and play out of position so maybe theres some hope for a consistent starter ion one of those guys. Wells?

Anyways I dont think Football happens without a cap. The Pack doesnt have to worry about that. As for free agents. Yes I want them to go after one or two big ones every year but what I dont want is to be Dallas picking up every star with an attitude issue just because they are available. I like that the team build through the draft and developes players. Much like the Brewers although they do it because in baseball thats their only option.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby JohnnyBlood » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

You don't think Harrel and Hawk are busts? What games are you watching on Sundays? Harrel has done absolutely nothing and Hawk is only a tad better...he did NOT play well. In both cases, neither are worthy of their first round draft status and the money spent on both. There aren't too many people who would call them anything other than busts.

As for your prediction that the Packers can be like the Brewers is utter nonsense. In 2010 there is NO salary cap. There is a war on the horizon and for the first time there are owners who may side with the player's union. (i.e. Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, etc.) and those in the league who have deep pockets, 100,000 seat stadiums, huge local revenue packages, and devil-may-care attitudes about their bottom line. The Cowboys will become the New York Yankees of the NFL and the Packers will be nothing more than a Triple-A affiliate for the rest of the league. Then the talk will begin about forcing the team to move to a larger market in order to survive. That will be the end of the Packers as we know them today. And there is no Pete Rozelle and Vince Lombardi here to save the Packers.
JohnnyBlood

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:11 pm

Go look at the Defensive players picked in the first round that year. The only one I would say that has done any better than Hawk is Mario Williams and he was #1 over Reggie Bush. No I havent seen Harrel playing on Sundays. You must not be watching. The guy hasnt seen much action. (played in 11 of 32 possible games)
Last edited by fisticuffs on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:15 pm

And I never said the Pack could do what the Brewers do I said I prefer that to what say the Yankees and the Cowboys do. I think teams that try to buy victories are huge pussies and while the NFL has a cap it doesnt stop owners like Jones and Snyder from paying out huge signing bonuses most teams wouldnt touch to get their guy. I sure as hell hope there is a cap. Football would be so non-competitive that no one would bother watching without it. And even if there were no cap. The pack may be the smallest market but they bring in as much money as a lot of big market teams because of their loyal rabid fan base. Something you are obviously not a part of.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:24 pm

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/30/biz ... s_DOV.html

There ya go. 2007's numbers. The Packers are the most financially sound team in the league (unless your a Bush Republican then it's the Cowboys and their 42% debt). Not too bad for a little hick town huh?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:07 pm

fisticuffs wrote:http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/30/biz_07nfl_NFL-Team-Valuations_DOV.html

There ya go. 2007's numbers. The Packers are the most financially sound team in the league (unless your a Bush Republican then it's the Cowboys and their 42% debt). Not too bad for a little hick town huh?

Great info in there. The latest figures are here, and the Packers organization is still looking strong...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Sanders and 5 others got the axe. Hope we can find someone good for the D. Coordinator job.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11226192
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking