MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, January 31, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Jay Cutler to QB for Bears

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Jay Cutler to QB for Bears

Postby crevice beatle » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:27 pm

Hopefully the result of this trade will only make "the bears still suck" chant ring all the more true opening night at Lambeau.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Re: Jay Cutler to QB for Bears

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:28 pm

The price tag seems a little steep but good on the Bears for doing something they should have done 8 years ago. Now if only they had an O line to protect him and some receivers to throw to.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crow » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Am I alone in thinking that the Broncos got the better of this deal? I mean, Orton plus two first round picks? And Cutler goes to an environment that is... well, not a place where QBs have managed to thrive of late. Or am I missing something?
Crow
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:24 pm

Crow wrote:Am I alone in thinking that the Broncos got the better of this deal? I mean, Orton plus two first round picks? And Cutler goes to an environment that is... well, not a place where QBs have managed to thrive of late. Or am I missing something?

I agree that the Broncos got the better of the deal(in addition to the 2 #1's, they also got a 3rd rounder, while sending the Bears a 5th). I have to wonder about Cutler's makeup after whining about possibly being traded, and the media in Chicago is much tougher than Denver.

That being said, Cutler's the first decent QB the Bears have had since McMahon. If they can somehow manage to keep recent signee Orlando Pace healthy, they'll be much improved on offense. As a Pats fan, I'm just glad he didn't go to the Jets, who now seem to be stuck with Kellen Clemens at QB. Good luck with that.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:36 am

I got a chance to see Cutler play live a few years ago at Chicago. He is a stud. Orton is decent, but not in Cutler's league. Defenses will no longer be able to put 8-9 men in the box because the Bear's couldn't go deep with Orton. Cutler's presence will make everyone else better. Out of the last 8 first round draft picks of the Bears, only 2 or 3 remain on the team. Their record with 1st rounders is poor. This is a big time move for the Beloved, and something they usually don't do. They now have the best quarterback in the NFC North. Go Bears.
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:46 am

They now have the best quarterback in the NFC North. Go Bears.

That's debatable.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:57 am

fisticuffs wrote:That's debatable.

Yes it is, but Bears/Packers games have suddenly become much more interesting. Two gunslingers competing now, instead of 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It will be fun. Also, the Bear's 1st round pick this year is 18th. Cutler would be the first guy chosen in this years draft, is in the middle of his rookie contract, and this season will only cost the Bears probably half at best, of a 1st rounder these days.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:00 am

Stella_Guru wrote:I got a chance to see Cutler play live a few years ago at Chicago. He is a stud. Orton is decent, but not in Cutler's league. Defenses will no longer be able to put 8-9 men in the box because the Bear's couldn't go deep with Orton. Cutler's presence will make everyone else better. Out of the last 8 first round draft picks of the Bears, only 2 or 3 remain on the team. Their record with 1st rounders is poor. This is a big time move for the Beloved, and something they usually don't do. They now have the best quarterback in the NFC North. Go Bears.

I'm trying to figure out how someone who constantly waxes ineloquently over the inequities caused by a capitalist society run amok, can so staunchly support a non-producing swine in the midst of a 6-year/$47.86 million contract, forcing the masses to pay inflated ticket prices to support the lavish lifestyles of the robber barons that employ him.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:03 am

O.J. wrote:I'm trying to figure out how someone who constantly waxes ineloquently over the inequities caused by a capitalist society run amok, can so staunchly support a non-producing swine in the midst of a 6-year/$47.86 million contract, forcing the masses to pay inflated ticket prices to support the lavish lifestyles of the robber barons that employ him.

Because, as sports comedy goes, there is nothing funnier than watching the gap-toothed Packer fans sitting in stunned silence as the Bears kick their ass in Lambeau Field.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:13 am

Why do you support a team whose stadium was 100% publicly financed? When you look up the word hypocrite in the dictionary, how crystal clear is that mirror image that greets you?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 am

O.J. wrote:a non-producing swine

Say what you will about the Broncos record, but I wouldn't lay the blame on Cutler. His passing numbers are strong.

Aaron Rodgers texted response upon hearing about the trade: “What?????”
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:28 am

supaunknown wrote:
O.J. wrote:a non-producing swine

Say what you will about the Broncos record, but I wouldn't lay the blame on Cutler. His passing numbers are strong.

Aaron Rodgers texted response upon hearing about the trade: “What?????”

Jay Cutler is a very productive QB, I was just trying to speak in Stella's language. I guess I need a few more lessons.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

I'll pass on the papist pork paradox

Postby Marvell » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:55 am

At least you didn't call him a 'nun-producing' swine.

Because I don't even want to think about how that would work...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:29 pm

Speaking of swine, maybe the Packers could send one of their goons after Cutler ala Charles Martin. You remember, sneak up behind him after the play, pick him up and throw him down on his shoulder, injuring him for the rest of the season. The red-faced dopes up there would love it.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:47 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:Speaking of swine, maybe the Packers could send one of their goons after Cutler ala Charles Martin.

If it comes to that, the Bears could always re-sign Tank Johnson to exact their revenge.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking