MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Packers Draft

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Packers Draft

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:43 pm

http://www.packers.com/draft/2009/
All in all seem to be good choices. I especially like the first pick of Raji he is a big boy and should be able to fill a few gaps at 6'2'' 337.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Re: Packers Draft

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:28 am

MeLurkyLongTime wrote: he is a big boy and should be able to fill a few gaps at 6'2'' 337.

Do you think he will get to experience the racial slurs and beer showers like William Perry did as he ran out of the tunnel in Lambeau?
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:29 am

Mel Kiper gave the Packers his top grade in the draft; I thought they did well(especially addressing the new personnel needed to run a 3-4), but not that outstanding.

Impressive showing by Wisconsin, with 4 picks in the top 100.

Ridiculous video of the Bears' first pick; 290# dude shouldn't be able to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:32 am

Do you think he will get to experience the racial slurs and beer showers like William Perry did as he ran out of the tunnel in Lambeau?

Dumbest post of the month. You do realize there have been several African American players on the Packers of the years. And even a few more who have played at Lambeau for opposing teams. Wild I know.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:45 am

fisticuffs wrote:

Dumbest post of the month. You do realize there have been several African American players on the Packers of the years. And even a few more who have played at Lambeau for opposing teams. Wild I know.

Yes thank you. If we really want to get this far off topic lets remember that Lombardi refused to allow the Packers to stay at racially segregated hotels when on the road in the south, sometimes ending up at the YMCA. Lombardi also worked to protect homosexual players from locker room ridicule.
Neither the city of Green Bay nor the Packers organization can be held responsible for some horrible behavior by people in the stands at games.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:46 am

Neither the city of Green Bay nor the Packers organization can be held responsible for some horrible behavior by people in the stands at games.

Over 20 years ago I might add.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:50 am

I was half expecting them to take Crabtree being the best player on the board and all but yeah the need was on the D and they more than did what they could. Matthews could be a stud. The guy is an NFL purebred. At the very least he will be a solid starter for a long time if not an All-Pro. Hopefully Raji is the answer up front. We haven't had an ass that fat up front since the Gibert Burger was clogging cheesehead arteries all over the state.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:55 am

I was a little worried and excited that we might take Crabtree too, we made the right choice fixing our D we don't seem to have too much trouble scoring.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:59 am

I was a little worried and excited that we might take Crabtree too, we made the right choice fixing our D we don't seem to have too much trouble scoring.

Can you imagine though? They could have gone 5 wide constantly (they still can). I would have been happy with Moreno or Wells in that spot too. Grant just doesn't do it for me and the NFL is pretty much a 2 back game these days. How about that PJ Hill? First he leaves college early, Then gets in a bit of legal trouble and then goes undrafted. Why leave college when you know you probably won't get drafted at all? Were there people giving him bad info or is making a D average just too much for him?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:11 pm

That is why I said exciting!Drafting a receiver is always flashy and exciting, but if you can't keep the other team from scoring there really is no point. Hill is kind of an idiot, it is like dropping out of high school, might as well drop out in second grade and not waste all those years in school.
Agree about Grant, its kind of boring most of the time but I suppose that is the way it goes.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby maiadonohue » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:46 pm

I was happy enough about the two first round picks, Raji and Matthews. However, I would have been happy taking Jamon Meredith in the 3rd round, so getting him in the 5th was incredible value. I think we could have our starting tackle tandem in this draft in the form of TJ Lang and Meredith. I've attached a couple links that include a great video analysis on the players.

Meredith (ranked as high as round 2): http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingr ... redith.php

Lang: (also ranked in 2nd/3rd round): http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingr ... J-Lang.php
maiadonohue

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking