MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Ride the Drive?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Ride the Drive?

Postby cxl01 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:27 am

jjoyce wrote:As we were cruising down John Nolen, my ten-year old son said, "It's like cars were never invented!"

I get that same feeling when I read TDPF.
Its like newspapers were never invented. :P
cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cory Schmidt » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:33 am

We went down right as it was starting and rode two laps with our four year old son on his tag a long bike behind me. We all had a great time and it seemed everyone else involved did as well. I really hope they make this an annual, or even more frequent, event.

As for those earlier in this thread who were complaining about there not being a point I have to say I am not surprised. This forum, more than any other I visit, is full of those that bash, complain and act like they know best. It seems that whining is the rule.
Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:27 am

Cory Schmidt wrote:This forum, more than any other I visit, is full of those that bash, complain and act like they know best. It seems that whining is the rule.

I guess you never visited the forum at madison.com. Just as well.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:21 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Cory Schmidt wrote:This forum, more than any other I visit, is full of those that bash, complain and act like they know best. It seems that whining is the rule.

I guess you never visited the forum at madison.com. Just as well.

Their crop of whiners and bashers is extensive.

I rode the route about 11 AM. Got on at the end of East Wash and got to the underpass at John Nolen just as the bagpiper got there. Met him walking towards the convention center on Nolen and asked where he was playing. "Right over there." When? "About five minutes." Wow. You're not going to make it. Sorry I can't offer you a ride. He laughed. I pedaled up to the underpass to wait for him, and sure enough he didn't make it in time. But right on schedule he started playing while he was walkin. I forgot you can do that with bagpipes. :-)

And when he was done everybody applauded by ringing bike bells and honking bike horns. It was fun.

That was a good morning.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:33 pm

I hate when they hold the Iron Man and close off all the downtown streets. But you know what? Thousands of people love it, and it's only one day out of the year, so go nuts.

Same thing with this. You don't like it? Don't go. And they held it on the lightest traffic day of the week at a very early hour to minimize the inconvenience to drivers. If they did it on a Tuesday from 3pm - 7pm then complainers would be well with their rights.

I was amazed at the THOUSANDS of people out. Totally a worthwhile event.

Message to the Lance Armstrongs: slow the fuck down.

Message to the stroller crowd: move over to the right. You don't have to hug the curb, but at least don't putz around in the left lane of Nolen because Lance Armstrong is coming up behind you at 30mph.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:05 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:I was amazed at the THOUSANDS of people out. Totally a worthwhile event.

Message to the Lance Armstrongs: slow the fuck down.

Message to the stroller crowd: move over to the right. You don't have to hug the curb, but at least don't putz around in the left lane of Nolen because Lance Armstrong is coming up behind you at 30mph.

Yo! This year they're doin' TWO of em!

And ironically, given that first message above, guess who's gonna be there for the second one?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking