MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Bill Hall

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Bill Hall

Postby minicat » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:24 am

Here's an interesting bit of stats (annexed from another blog):

Bill Hall has 148 at bats this season and is batting .222 overall with a .291 OBP and only 12 RBI.

against right-handed pitching only:

2008: .175 avg and .242 OBP
2009: .172 avg and .261 OBP

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:17 pm

Hater!

His defense is still great. He knocked down a hard shot the other night versus the Reds that could've blown the game wide open for them. And he's got an absolute gun for an arm.
I dislike his unorthodox, unbalanced batting stance. Since his right leg starts so far back he rarely has a good balanced hip turn. He's also greatly limiting the areas within the strike zone where he can hit effectively. It's impressive that he generates such power with such a poorly mechanized swing. And like I said before, he appears to simply take his eyes off the ball. No excuse for that. Every time I hear them say "he's learning to be more patient" I call bullshit. He hasn't really changed a thing.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Bill Hall and Greg Vaughn quickly pop into mind as major leaguers that I'm convinced I could have struck out in my prime. Of course, my stuff was downright electric(actually, my buddy likes to describe me as a right-handed Brian Shouse...and that certainly wasn't meant as a compliment).

As much as it pains me to admit it, I think David Ortiz has joined this group. Right now, I think he'd have a hard time catching up to my 70 MPH "heater."
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:58 pm

I didn't know OJ played baseball too. Take that Bo, Deion.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Remember when Deion played a football game during the day and then had to catch a plane to play baseball later that evening? I would've loved to have seen him try to do that in a Hertz.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:20 pm

O.J. wrote:Bill Hall and Greg Vaughn quickly pop into mind as major leaguers that I'm convinced I could have struck out in my prime. Of course, my stuff was downright electric(actually, my buddy likes to describe me as a right-handed Brian Shouse...and that certainly wasn't meant as a compliment).

As much as it pains me to admit it, I think David Ortiz has joined this group. Right now, I think he'd have a hard time catching up to my 70 MPH "heater."

So painful, but stick a fork in him.

OJ, are you a Victor Martinez, Adam Dunn, or Tejada guy?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:33 pm

I would love to see Victor Martinez on the Sox. The Indians aren't quite ready to throw in the towel yet, but when they do, you can be sure that Theo will at least kick the tires. Boston has a ton of good prospects and Martinez is one of the few possibly available players that I would be willing to use Clay Buchholz as a centerpiece to obtain.

Adam Dunn would be a lower-cost alternative....wouldn't give up Buchholz, but maybe Bowden.

Not so sure about Miggy...part of it depends on what they do to address the hole at DH. If they got a big bat to replace Ortiz, I'd be more inclined to go after a defensive-minded shortstop, like Vizquel(or, bring back Alex Gonzalez).

With a boatload of prospects to potentially deal, along with Brad Penny(he's surely gone, barring a big injury in the rotation) and possibly Manny Delcarmen(Sox shot down the Nat's offer of Nick Johnson), it will be quite interesting to see what direction they go.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Very intriguing stuff. Today the Globe blogger suggested that Lugo DH if they get a light hitting SS. I'd prefer Martinez as well. If they get a slugger they prolly don't need a SS at all.

I am fine with trading Buchholz or DelCarmen for value.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:09 pm

O.J. wrote:As much as it pains me to admit it, I think David Ortiz has joined this group. Right now, I think he'd have a hard time catching up to my 70 MPH "heater."

One of my favorite statistical comparisons right now:

Yovani Gallardo, 22 AB, 2 HR, 4 RBI
David Ortiz, 178 AB, 1 HR, 18 RBI

Maybe the Sawks can trade for Yo Vonnie and make him into a DH?
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:55 pm

The difference is Ortiz has won two titles.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:03 am

Marvell wrote:So - how do you like Bill Hall now, haters?

Well, he's 2 for 21 with 9 strikeouts since that GWRBI, so I'm guessing: Even less?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:49 pm

from CBS recap of last night's game:
Bill Hall went 0 for 4 to extend his slump to 7 for 75 (.093)
Ouch.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:22 pm

One of those outs was hit to the warning track for an RBI. I'll take what I can get from Billy.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Learned wrote:One of those outs was hit to the warning track for an RBI. I'll take what I can get from Billy.

Just to nitpick, this is technically wrong. A sac fly doesn't count as an official at-bat, so Hall actually made 5 outs yesterday, although one was productive.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:37 pm

O.J. wrote:
Learned wrote:One of those outs was hit to the warning track for an RBI. I'll take what I can get from Billy.

Just to nitpick, this is technically wrong. A sac fly doesn't count as an official at-bat, so Hall actually made 5 outs yesterday, although one was productive.

I was unsure about my comment but decided to post anyway because I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking