MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Inline Skating

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Inline Skating

Postby OliverevilO » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:36 pm

I used to skate to the store or for exercise nearly every day before I moved to Madison--from a place where I could roll out the door with my skates on knowing I'd find a safe and efficient route to just about anywhere. The paving there had less texture and was much more even--I guess because it never froze and traction was hardly an issue either. I was excited to find and to skate the Military Ridge trail segment from Verona to the end of the fee/permit zone around McKee and Verona Rd--which has a nice surface. Does anyone know anyplace else? I've skated the shoreline from around Olin Park to Monono Terrace and up to the capitol via the bike elevator, as well as beyond Monono Terrace to East of the Isthmus--more or less according to a map the Mad City Rollers have online, although the site seems to have been left dormant for awhile. But only the shoreline around the Terrace itself was really my idea of skate-friendly. Where do other people like to skate?
OliverevilO

Re: Inline Skating

Postby Galoot » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:19 pm

I was one of the founders of Mad City Rollers 10 years ago, and Ron Dennis and I switched off on running the club, until we both got tired of it, and sort of took up other hobbies. I'm out in CA all summer now that I'm a teacher, so I'm not going to do anything with the club anymore.

You can't be too picky about the pavement you're skating on, and the various bike/pedestrian/skate paths around Madison are plenty smooth enough for some good distance skating. If you really want to do a good number of miles, you can do the Capital City Trail south of Madison, up the lakeshore path, over the Central Isthmus path to Camp Randall, then down the Southwest Bike Path to where it connects with the Capital City trail, near the Allied/Dunn's Marsh neighborhood. I think the entire loop is around 18 miles. You'll need a trail permit to do the Cap City trail, but it's very much worth it.

We used to have a good Friday Night Skate group that did the 10 mile route described on the website, but the group got smaller and smaller. Ron Dennis realized that the fitness/speed skaters were much more committed, and likely to show up, so he ran speed workouts for the last few years, with great success.

We also gave beginner skate lessons on Monday evenings, in the parking lot at Machinery Row, but it sounds like you know what you're doing. Please wear your helmet whenever you skate!
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby OliverevilO » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:31 pm

You can't be too picky about the pavement you're skating on...

Hmmm. I suppose I could try softer wheels or a larger diameter. I think I'm using 80A 82mm, but I can't read the sidewalls anymore. Anyway, thanks for the background and suggestions.
OliverevilO

Re: 80 82A

Postby BillEKlub » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:55 pm

You called out all of the routes I do...with one exception. Going out Highway 12 from Middleton, on the way to Sauk City there is a trail next to the highway. Hardly scenic what with the traffic and noise, but the pavement quality is very high and you can skate for a long ways without encountering a dogwalker/stroller/pedestrian/jogger/iPod Zombie/etc.

Driving to skate is wrong I know, but...well, you can't get there from here on skates. I park in the dead end between the airfield and the Lexus store. If you go out past the Missoury Tavern, thru the Springfield Corners intersection and reach the end of the trail at the top of Springfield Hill you have just over a 17 mile round trip. You know you are at the end of the trail by the nice sign that says "Trail Ends Here". Nice, very nice. Turn around at the farm where the trail loops around the knob of the hill, between the Missouri and Springfield Corners and it is exactly a 10 mile round trip.

Other than that, the Capital City Trail loop is good. Try going from the bridge over the Beltline at Sub-Zero at Pacific Cycle (they let you park in their lot) down to Camp Randall, keep going all the way to the Boathouse on Monona Bay. Feeling ambitious? Take a left down past the Terrace, slide down where Central Park will never be between E Wash and Willy, continue on down Atwood to Dempsey. Through Monona is really poor pavement but you end up at the John Nolen/Beltline overpass and you can take a left on to the Cap City Trail, past the Sewage Treatment plant and the Farm Tavern, Lussier stuff and then due West to Fish Hatchery and the new bridge. Still not tired? Take a left instead of getting mugged by Allied and you can take the paved part all the way to Verona. This is 26 miles PLUS, depending on whether you take the Verona detour or risk your life on the Allied/Bennet's Meadowod/CUB Foods leg of the journey. For the price of the pass, they should sweep the trail now and then, keep the bubbler (local) running and a sidearm for the Allied stretch. Note the packing tape laminated articles at the SubZero/Pacific Cycle bubbler/bench re: mugged bikers.

I do the 82A deal and replace rather than rotate just the front wheel every 50 miles or so.
BillEKlub

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:35 am

BillEKlub wrote:...risk your life on the Allied/Bennet's Meadowod/CUB Foods leg of the journey...

Ok, so how dangerous is this section of the path really? I tend to avoid it, but often wonder if I'm exaggerating the risk.

I've read of muggings/assaults in years past, but it seemed sporadic. Anyone in the know have good info on the safety of biking/walking/skating through there these days?

For the sake of argument, let's assume daylight. No way would I head through there at night.

Walter? You still on board?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Allied / Bennett's Risk Assessment

Postby BillEKlub » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Ok, I have been through there dozens of times without incident. I am a bit wary and keep my eyes wide open.

But...

BILL NOVAK The Capital Times bnovak@madison.com | Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 9:00 am

A bicyclist riding in the Allied Drive neighborhood allegedly was mugged by five teens Wednesday night, with the muggers getting away with 30 cents.

Madison police said the 18-year-old Madison man was attacked when he was riding on a bike trail in the 2300 block of Allied Drive at about 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.

"A teenager kicked his bike and flattened the rear tire," said police spokesman Joel DeSpain. "Four other teens then came out from behind a dumpster."

According to police, the teens demanded money, with one teen pulling a knife on the bicyclist while another punched him in the stomach.

Similar story in July.

I am about as worried about the politics/antics of the Bennett's folks as I am about the droopy pantsed bunch under the overpass.
BillEKlub

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking