MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 79.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Are the Brewers giving up?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Are the Brewers giving up?

Postby minicat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Bill Castro?

Of all the people involved, the fall guy is Bill Castro? He's been about the only thing holding that junk pile Melvin put together into any semblance of a staff.

Weak, weak, weak.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:38 pm

Because it's easier to fire (and replace) a pitching coach than the majority of the pitching staff.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:55 pm

The person who needs to be fired is clearly Doug Melvin. Other than the playoff-run saving pickup of CC Sabathia and a few lucky scrap-heap grabs, he has not made any good moves for the last two years. What he has done has been mediocre at best, or downright disastrously idiotic; signing David Riske; releasing most of their pitching depth last spring (then trading to get guys like Vargas back this year); trading T. Gwynn for a box of cracked bats; etc.

A panic-move scapegoating of someone like Castro, who has worked his ass off for this organization, is shameful.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:35 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Not a bad idea. Calling up Escobar? Finally. Now I may have a reason to watch. Not sure about Hardy being sent down. He should have been dealt before the deadline.

Part of the thing about trading someone is that someone else has to be willing to give you something of value. With the season Hardy has had, I'm not sure the Brewers could have gotten anything more than a hot ham sandwich.

A few years ago I thought Hardy was a star in the making. He's been incredibly disappointing. I'm hopeful that the shock of sending him down will wake his ass up and make him realize that it takes a lot of effort to stay in the show. Right now it's up to JJ.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking