MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Packer Pre-season Pululations

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Packer Pre-season Pululations

Postby nevermore » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:16 pm

I predict the Pack will go 8.6-7.4 and that record will be good enough to win the NFC Norris.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:45 pm

13-3, first in the Norris.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Sun., Sept. 13 Chicago Bears (W)
Sun., Sept. 20 Cincinnati Bengals (W)
Sun., Sept. 27 @ St. Louis Rams (W)
Mon., Oct. 5 @ Minnesota Vikings (L)
Sun., Oct. 18 Detroit Lions (W)
Sun., Oct. 25 @ Cleveland Browns (W)
Sun., Nov. 1 Minnesota Vikings (W)
Sun., Nov. 8 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (W)
Sun., Nov. 15 Dallas Cowboys (L)
Sun., Nov. 22 San Francisco 49ers (W)
Thurs., Nov. 26 @ Detroit Lions (L)
Mon., Dec. 7 Baltimore Ravens (W)
Sun., Dec. 13 @ Chicago Bears (L)
Sun., Dec. 20 @ Pittsburgh Steelers (L)
Sun., Dec. 27 Seattle Seahawks (W)
Sun., Jan. 3 @ Arizona Cardinals (W)

Looks like I like 11-5. Marvell, how you could have this Packers team losing to Tampa Bay is beyond me. That team is a hot mess.

Now, I know I have GB losing to Detroit on Thanksgiving, but I don't think it's debatable that the Lions have more talent and less discord than the Bucs. They might shape up enough by 11/26 to eke one out at home.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:00 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Marvell, how you could have this Packers team losing to Tampa Bay is beyond me. That team is a hot mess.

Now, I know I have GB losing to Detroit on Thanksgiving, but I don't think it's debatable that the Lions have more talent and less discord than the Bucs. They might shape up enough by 11/26 to eke one out at home.

My thinking was that in the modern NFL you pretty much always have that one road game a season that you lose to a team you should, on paper, flog. I considered the Lions for that spot, but my gut said that it would be the Bucs instead.

Flip/flop the two and you still have 12-4.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:42 am

My pre-playoff prediction - Packer's season record: 11-5 ; win the NFC North by virtue of divisional strength tie breaker - Aaron Rodgers makes first string NFC Pro Bowl team quarterback.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:06 am

If they beat the Bears once and the Cardinals, I will be impressed.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:34 am

Marvell: 10-3
TheBookPolice: 7-6

I am shown the error of my ways.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

It's an aggro-prognostinomicon!

Postby Marvell » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:56 pm

Eh - I'm probably more lucky than wise.

I will say that I still find this particular Packer team to be maddening - they're a potentially dominating team that seems to insist on playing down to the level of their opponents. They are the youngest team in football, which presumably has a lot to do with it.

At the very least they need a new special teams coordinator. Remember - that '96 team had Hentrich, Jacke and Desmond Howard (and Don Beebe's td against the Niners). Kapinos is looking pretty good, but Mason Crosby's kicking like Bing Crosby and so far the return game - both in returns and coverage - has been a great big nothing.

If we can get by the Steelers this weekend I'm pretty confidant that we'll have a Wild Card wrapped up; I don't see the Pack losing to Seattle at home, and by the last weekend the Cards will presumably be resting their starters, so even if Big Ben goes apeshit on Sunday we should still finish 11-5. That would mean either the Eagles / Cowboys (probably the former) or a rematch with the Cards in the opening round of the playoffs.

I'd given even odds that we'll make it through the first round, and will then have our asses handed to us on a plate by either the Minnesota BrettFavre!s or the Saints.

2010 is our year. With better special teams and another year under our belt Green Bay will be the team to beat next time around.

Mark my words.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:11 pm

crevice beatle wrote:My pre-playoff prediction - Packer's season record: 11-5 ; win the NFC North by virtue of divisional strength tie breaker - Aaron Rodgers makes first string NFC Pro Bowl team quarterback.

An 11-5 record obviously is the only thing I may have predicted precisely during late summer - being that Minnesota would obviously hold the tie breaker in the unlikely event we caught up to them - and even though Rodgers has had a solid year, Favre is a much more likely candidate for the Pro Bowl.

If we have another shot at Minnesota in the playoffs, despite the fact they are the better team pretty much all around, I just don't see them beating us 3 times in 1 season. Despite the fact I believe anyone playing us in the playoffs will have been the consistently better team in the regular season, my crystal ball is telling me that the Pack is going all the way, only to lose to Colts in the Superbowl. Call it wishful thinking we make it even beyond the initial wildcard matchup, but I've just got this feeling.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:35 am

crevice beatle wrote:If we have another shot at Minnesota in the playoffs, despite the fact they are the better team pretty much all around, I just don't see them beating us 3 times in 1 season. Despite the fact I believe anyone playing us in the playoffs will have been the consistently better team in the regular season, my crystal ball is telling me that the Pack is going all the way, only to lose to Colts in the Superbowl. Call it wishful thinking we make it even beyond the initial wildcard matchup, but I've just got this feeling.

Dude - I know the feeling well; that's why I stopped taking mushrooms.

As much of a homer as I've often been accused of being as I am, I just don't see it. I'd say the Packers are in an analagous situation to the 84 Bears, a team which showed flashes of their enormous potential during the regular season, won one game in the playoffs, and then were crushed by the eventual NFL champion 49ers. The next year, after some relatively minor tweaking, they were doing the Superbowl Shuffle (to the world's everlasting regret).

This just ain't our year. Next year very well may be, especially if we can sign a decent free agent kicker and/or kick returner.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:23 pm

Marvell wrote:
crevice beatle wrote:If we have another shot at Minnesota in the playoffs, despite the fact they are the better team pretty much all around, I just don't see them beating us 3 times in 1 season. Despite the fact I believe anyone playing us in the playoffs will have been the consistently better team in the regular season, my crystal ball is telling me that the Pack is going all the way, only to lose to Colts in the Superbowl. Call it wishful thinking we make it even beyond the initial wildcard matchup, but I've just got this feeling.

Dude - I know the feeling well; that's why I stopped taking mushrooms.

As much of a homer as I've often been accused of being as I am, I just don't see it. I'd say the Packers are in an analagous situation to the 84 Bears, a team which showed flashes of their enormous potential during the regular season, won one game in the playoffs, and then were crushed by the eventual NFL champion 49ers. The next year, after some relatively minor tweaking, they were doing the Superbowl Shuffle (to the world's everlasting regret).

This just ain't our year. Next year very well may be, especially if we can sign a decent free agent kicker and/or kick returner.

So you've drawn an analogy to the 84' bears - which seems fair. Flash foward to the 06' Bears. Did this team have any business being in the Superbowl? Despite losing to the Colts in the big game, would you have referred to it as being "their year"?
I'm not saying this is our year. Only winning the Superbowl makes it our year. I'm also not saying that we have more business going then any other team in the NFC - although, I do believe we've got a better shot making it than any other wild card (yes, I realize we haven't solidfied this yet either), NFC or AFC. Ok, it may be the mushrooms talking... but, regardless of my bold (as many friends had seen it) 11-5 prediction last summer, I honestly tend to be a bit more of a pessismist in regards to the Pack.

I'm basing my feelings more on the fact that over the past few years, in the NFL, the unlikely tends to be more likely in regards to the NFC championship team.

Also, I must point out that the only way you possibly successfully made a prediction that evoked shamanistic vision (ourTampa Bay loss) was under the influence of mushrooms. Sincere props there.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Re: It's an aggro-prognostinomicon!

Postby tibor » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:58 pm

Marvell wrote:2010 is our year. With better special teams and another year under our belt Green Bay will be the team to beat next time around.

I think they'll be good next year, but not world-beaters. They still haven't solved their LT/RT issues, next year will only be worse. It's supposed to be a deep draft, but not for OL. Poor line play cost them a number of games this year. If help isn't coming in the draft or FA, how will next year be any better?

And while the switch to zone coverage helps their corners, they need to get younger there, too.

It's an odd team because they're so strong at so many other positions. But I don't think they're as solid a team as, say, the Colts who have lost most of their starting secondary, #2 WR, kicker, LT, etc. and still winning games.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Marvell wrote:
Sun., Sept. 13 Chicago Bears (W)
Sun., Sept. 20 Cincinnati Bengals (W)
Sun., Sept. 27 @ St. Louis Rams (W)
Mon., Oct. 5 @ Minnesota Vikings (L)
Sun., Oct. 18 Detroit Lions (W - may set NFL record for most lopsided win, breaking the Bears legendary 73-0 ass-stomping of the Redskins in the 1940 title game)
Sun., Oct. 25 @ Cleveland Browns (W)
Sun., Nov. 1 Minnesota Vikings (W)
Sun., Nov. 8 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (L)
Sun., Nov. 15 Dallas Cowboys (W)
Sun., Nov. 22 San Francisco 49ers (W)
Thurs., Nov. 26 @ Detroit Lions (W)
Mon., Dec. 7 Baltimore Ravens (L - Joe Flacco runs wild)
Sun., Dec. 13 @ Chicago Bears (W)
Sun., Dec. 20 @ Pittsburgh Steelers (L)
Sun., Dec. 27 Seattle Seahawks (W)
Sun., Jan. 3 @ Arizona Cardinals (W)

There's your 12-4, right there.

Wrong about the home wins over the Bengals and Vikings, and the home loss to Baltimore.

A perfect 8-0 in my predictions for the road.

Guess I might be Mel Kuiper after all.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:19 pm

Marvell wrote:Guess I might be Mel Kuiper after all.

You really need to do something different with the hair.

And...tell us what is going to happen next week.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:26 pm

And lose the wooden clogs. They're so predictable.

(it's a very Dutch misspelling of "Kiper" you've got there)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking