MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Packers 2009

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Packers 2009

Postby Marvell » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 am

Oh, it's on.

boston_jeff better get ready to be impressed; we've already got Bears' scalp no. 1 hanging from our belts, and the Cardinals looked like a bunch of feebs against the 49'ers.

Thoughts about last nights game:

1.) Swain's already justified his roster spot.

2.) That was probably the worst job of officiating I have ever seen.

3.) Lovie Smith is one over-coaching motherfucker.

Bengals at home next Sunday. I predict a legendary flogging of some striped ass.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Packers 2009

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:43 am

For as lame as the fake punt was I think Lovie did a great job through the rest of the game. Anytime there was a weakness shown by the Pack Lovie immediately exploited it. When Barbre was getting creamed they started throwing a LB over there as well. When Collins went down they immediately went after him. And they came out in the second half looking like a completely different team. But... That Pack D sure was impressive. Pressuring Cutler all day. Induced Cutler whiny faces and tantrums. You can't blame him for all those INT's his lame ass receivers sure didn't look like they knew how to play football but like Rodgers he was running for his life through most of the game. I was hoping for a more convincing victory and I didn't expect the Bears D to still have that in them but if the D can play like that I like our chances.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 am

I'm happy about the "W", but I see the same problems that tanked 2008: dropped passes, giving up third and longs, horrible, bone-headed penalties at the worst possible times.

That said, they won a game they probably would have lost last year (did they lose something like 7 games by four points or less last year?).
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:22 am

That said, they won a game they probably would have lost last year (did they lose something like 7 games by four points or less last year?).

Yep. And that was the second most ever apparently. More than anything A-Rodg coming through in the end was the biggest victory of the night. The O will play much better than they did last night.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:37 am

Marvell wrote:2.) That was probably the worst job of officiating I have ever seen.

3.) Lovie Smith is one over-coaching motherfucker.

I'm so glad to see that the league hasn't lifted its vendetta against the GB secondary (mostly joking). That illegal hands bullshit made me want to puke.

I honestly don't think Smith had anything to do with the fake punt. He looked bewildered when the play was over (cameras cut away generously just as he was about to start yelling to the players on the field). The back had no clue the ball was coming. I'm not even sure the punter knew what was going on (although if anything he was trying to call it off with those chest taps he was doing, as if to tell the snapper "NO you lummox, snap it to ME"). I think it was all on the long snapper, and I wouldn't be shocked if he was introduced to the bench next week. Not that I know what the Chicago depth chart looks like at long snapper.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:45 am

There's no question that was the long snapper's fault.

And the refs were colluding with the Pack's O-line to try and make that a game last night. If Rodgers gets some blocking on the right side, it's not close by half time. Nice job, Cutler.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:51 am

Has Mark Tauscher's knee healed? The Packers sure could use him if he's healthy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:51 am

It's comforting to see that Lovie Smith still doesn't show any emotion - does he think he's playing poker?

I don't think the Packers looked that good, but they made it count when they needed to. Great play call on 3rd and 1 at the end.

Vikings fans seem pretty pleased this morning although I'm not sure all of them are aware how bad the Browns are.

I see that the Lions played, sort of.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:05 am

Logjam wrote:I don't think the Packers looked that good, but they made it count when they needed to. Great play call on 3rd and 1 at the end.

Yup. But if they win in Chicago and beat AZ, I will definitely be impressed. Like I said.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:37 am

To add a little injury to insult. Brian Urlacher is out for the entire season with a wrist injury. Too bad he's not still dating Paris Hilton. She could have come in handy.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:37 am

fisticuffs wrote:To add a little injury to insult. Brian Urlacher is out for the entire season with a wrist injury. Too bad he's not still dating Paris Hilton. She could have come in handy.

Handy--I said, handy, son. That's a masturbation joke, see.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:31 pm

fisticuffs wrote:To add a little injury to insult. Brian Urlacher is out for the entire season with a wrist injury.

If there's any karmic justice in the cosmos, he injured it on that cheap shot to Rodgers in the first quarter - one of at least two roughing the passer calls that the refs didn't make.

And by overcoaching I was thinking more of Lovie's 12 men on the field challenge, which ended up costing them a time-out that they desperately needed at the end of the game.

I agree with Ned about the dropped balls; if Driver can't get his act together, maybe it's time to give Nelson or Jones a shot.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:46 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:[I think it was all on the long snapper, and I wouldn't be shocked if he was introduced to the bench next week. Not that I know what the Chicago depth chart looks like at long snapper.

It's unlikely Patrick Mannelly will be "introduced to the bench next week" since long snapper is the only position he plays and has been for years.

The most frequent assessment of blame in the Chicago sports media is that the RB was supposed to make a read and call an audible to take them out of the called play, but either failed to make the read or failed to make himself heard-- at least by Mannelly.

Fire Lovie.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:59 pm

You Chicago Bear fans are missing the big picture, here.

Jay Cutler = Jeff George

So have fun with that.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Well luckily for the Bears the refs already made up for that boneheaded play with that boneheaded illegal contact call on third and whatever in the fourth. Also lucky. Mr. Urlacher apparently injured that wrist on his late hit on Rodgers in the first. Karma?
Jay Cutler = Jeff George

Jeff George was never that big of a douchebag.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking