MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, March 6, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 2.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Badgers vs Wofford (??) = Pathetic

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Badgers vs Wofford (??) = Pathetic

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Wofford is a liberal arts college of 1400 students. The Badgers might as well play UW Oshkosh or MATC.

Beating up on little guys so you can pad your record and maybe sneak into some rinky-dink bowl game is embarrassing.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Badgers vs Wofford (??) = Pathetic

Postby doppel » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:05 pm

Not if your first name ends in "et".
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Could be Barry and Bret in place of Mick and Rocky:

- What? I had ten title defenses. - That was easy.
- What do you mean, easy? - They was hand-picked!
- Set-ups? - No, they weren't set-ups!
They was good fighters. But they wasn't killers, like this guy.
He'll knock ya into tomorrow, Rock.
Jeez, Mick.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:02 pm

Wofford's claim to fame:
On Wofford and the Civil War: "The first martyr in the Southern cause was William Maxwell Martin, a Wofford graduate of 1857, who had developed into a gifted poet as well as orator. His graduation speech, The Calico Flag, it was said, 'produced a sensation in its way beyond anything in the annals of the college.' He died February 21, 1861, of illness contracted from exposure on duty at Fort Moultrie, standing by his canon through the cold damp night."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:41 am

Padding the record takes a back seat to padding the pocketbook. Wofford will play here for less than other schools, and not demand a return game.

Apropos of nothing, I am of the opinion that while their football recruiting may lag, Wofford's cheerleader recruiting appears to be ahead of the UW.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:32 am

From the front page of Wofford's website:

The Wofford football team makes an historic trip this Saturday to face Big 10 power Wisconsin before what could be the largest crowd to ever see the Terriers play. It will be Wofford's second game against a BCS opponent in three weeks.

It's a win for Wofford. They get cash and exposure.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:29 am

I played football for UW Oshkosh about 10 years ago, I would have loved to have gotten my ass kicked at Camp Randall. If the Badgers are going to continue this pathetic practice, the least they could do is play a team in the home state- UW-Whitewater been to the national championship game in Division III three years running and would have been a better opponent.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby Peacetrain » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:26 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:I played football for UW Oshkosh about 10 years ago, I would have loved to have gotten my ass kicked at Camp Randall. If the Badgers are going to continue this pathetic practice, the least they could do is play a team in the home state- UW-Whitewater been to the national championship game in Division III three years running and would have been a better opponent.

Im not a big fan of the realities of College Football scheduling but i do understand them.

Sorry but UW-W would not have been a better opponent.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Wofford was a late substitution-add to the schedule because a home-and-home deal with Virginia Tech fell through in that slot.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:33 pm

The extra half million that the Athletic Department makes from scheduling the likes of Wofford isn't going to seem so attractive in the coming seasons when more and more season ticketholders won't renew and individual games continue to not sell out. As season ticket holders we've very seriously discussed what else we could do with our money that would be far more enjoyable....a few extra meals at top restaurants, go to a few more Overture shows, a couple weekends in Chicago, etc. Those are mighty attractive options compared to being crammed in Camp Randall to watch a mediocre team playing against uninteresting opponents while being "entertained" by recycled half-time shows. How's that for a college football scheduling reality?
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:25 am

ASU in 2010 and Oregon State in 2011 are steps in the right direction. 2011 will also have a road game at Soldier Field against NIU, that should be fun.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:49 am

pulseCzar wrote:The extra half million that the Athletic Department makes from scheduling the likes of Wofford isn't going to seem so attractive in the coming seasons when more and more season ticketholders won't renew and individual games continue to not sell out. As season ticket holders we've very seriously discussed what else we could do with our money that would be far more enjoyable....a few extra meals at top restaurants, go to a few more Overture shows, a couple weekends in Chicago, etc. Those are mighty attractive options compared to being crammed in Camp Randall to watch a mediocre team playing against uninteresting opponents while being "entertained" by recycled half-time shows. How's that for a college football scheduling reality?

Considering they've been scheduling cupcakes for atleast 3 of 4 non conf games for many years i dont see it affecting overall seaon tickets too much

I go to the games to support the players, (and to some extent the coaches). They have nothing to do with the schedule so im not going to punish them for it.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:06 pm

Peacetrain wrote:Considering they've been scheduling cupcakes for atleast 3 of 4 non conf games for many years i dont see it affecting overall seaon tickets too much.

No so. Thousands did not renew their season tickets for this year. And the Wofford game did not sell out - for the first time in over 40 games.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Peacetrain wrote:Considering they've been scheduling cupcakes for atleast 3 of 4 non conf games for many years i dont see it affecting overall seaon tickets too much.

No so. Thousands did not renew their season tickets for this year. And the Wofford game did not sell out - for the first time in over 40 games.

How many are because of non-conference schedule?

After Virginia Tech dropped out, UW had very few choices.

In some ways you can thank everyother UW sport(except mens bball,mens hockey, and womens vball) for the football & Mens bballs weak non-conf schedule.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Peacetrain wrote:In some ways you can thank everyother UW sport(except mens bball,mens hockey, and womens vball) for the football & Mens bballs weak non-conf schedule.

A) How?

B) You're calling the Men's Basketball non-conference schedule weak? Let's see... Last year: Connecticut, UW-Milwaukee, Marquette, Texas. The year before: Georgia, Duke, Texas, and the two Wisconsin schools again. 2006-07: Auburn, Florida State, Winthrop, Pittsburgh, Georgia, and the two WI schools. 2005-06: Old Dominion, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, and the two WI schools. Want me to keep going?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking