MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Vikings 2009

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Vikings 2009

Postby nevermore » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Rather than ask for it, I'll just create it.

And to start: Lookit, Brent spent decades completing passes to guys dressed in purple. What's so special about what happened yesterday?
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Vikings 2009

Postby Stomach » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Longwell is 10 for 10 on extra points with a kickerback rating of 136.7 after 3 games.

With a guy like that on board the ol' gunslinger won't need any bullets!
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:03 am

The Packers OL sucks sand. The defensive backfield is riddled with injuries and oldsters. I'm thinkin' 9-7 this year.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:09 am

I don't think the assessment of the secondary is accurate. Woodson is an oldster yes but He's playing like an MVP right now. Harris not so much but certainly he's an asset not a liability. Collins was back playing last week even though it looked like he wasn't going to and Bigby should be back after the bye. The youngsters have stepped up pretty well in nickel and dime and the back up safety's have been serviceable.

Gotta run. Have to go back the the Packers thread and talk about the Vikings.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:54 am

The way Ned talks about sports makes me wish he would just stick to his favorite topic - which would be Clinton's penis.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm just happy Ned's a Packer-backer and not a Bears' fan. Otherwise I'd have to seriously question my existence. :D (emoticon for the benefit of Ned)

Despite my loyalty to the Bears, I've always had a grudging respect for Favre...I mean, the guy seriously kicked Bear butt most of his career in green & gold. I have that muddy, Bear/Packer Halloween matchup in the throwback jerseys from years ago permanently etched in my psyche. Can't help but pull for him, especially after enduring a company down-sizing a few years back, when oldsters were dumped for youngsters. He's a walking metaphor for that mid-life forced career-change. Should he make a respectable showing, I'll feel a little vindication against my old employer, too.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:38 pm

Can't help but pull for him, especially after enduring a company down-sizing a few years back, when oldsters were dumped for youngsters. He's a walking metaphor for that mid-life forced career-change

Not quite. He retired. Not quite the same as downsizing or forced career change. He retired. Several times. Whether or not he should have been taken back is debatable but this one point is not. He retired.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:00 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Can't help but pull for him, especially after enduring a company down-sizing a few years back, when oldsters were dumped for youngsters. He's a walking metaphor for that mid-life forced career-change

Not quite. He retired. Not quite the same as downsizing or forced career change. He retired. Several times. Whether or not he should have been taken back is debatable but this one point is not. He retired.

And I resigned...after getting a clear message that I wasn't in the long-term picture. Not knowing exactly what happened between Favre & management the last few years of his time there, that's the myth I want to believe...they just didn't see him in the long-range picture and forced the issue. Seemed pretty obvious threatening retirement was the only leverage Favre had in his situation. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall with McCarthy's commitment to 'zone-blocking' and small, athletic linemen that have a little trouble when it comes to pass blocking.

Man...Don't mess with my metaphor. :D
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:08 pm

And I resigned...after getting a clear message that I wasn't in the long-term picture. Not knowing exactly what happened between Favre & management the last few years of his time there, that's the myth I want to believe...they just didn't see him in the long-range picture and forced the issue.

So he was forced to retire?
Maybe he saw the writing on the wall with McCarthy's commitment to 'zone-blocking' and small, athletic linemen that have a little trouble when it comes to pass blocking.

So he wasn't forced to retire?

Whichever one of your competing arguments is correct Favre made the decision. All the team did was ask him to answer the question so they could start preparing for the season. Favre CHOSE retirement. Well at least for a week or two. Favre also CHOSE retirement this year. Only to "change his mind" a month or so later. The Packers are the only ones here who have stuck with a decision and it wasn't even a decision they made. It was Favre's. He doesn't deserve anyone's sympathy. He wasn't forced out.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Refrain from discussing Brett Favre in any kind of positive light with "sports fans" from WI. Your opinion can never be valid.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:10 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Whichever one of your competing arguments is correct Favre made the decision. All the team did was ask him to answer the question so they could start preparing for the season. Favre CHOSE retirement. Well at least for a week or two. Favre also CHOSE retirement this year. Only to "change his mind" a month or so later. The Packers are the only ones here who have stuck with a decision and it wasn't even a decision they made. It was Favre's. He doesn't deserve anyone's sympathy. He wasn't forced out.

Jerry Kramer's opinion, fwiw:
Thurston's "Run to Daylight" sidekick, Jerry Kramer, doesn't have any trouble letting people know he squarely places the blame for Wisconsin's most famous divorce on general manager Ted Thompson.

"I still feel that the whole Brett thing was handled badly by the people in Green Bay, so I don't blame Brett for wanting to play. I understand that perfectly well," Kramer said.

"That was a decision they made. The Packers decided they did not want Brett back and they let him know that. That's part of the reason he's still playing. I think that anger, that pissed-off, 'I'll show the SOBs.' I think it insulted him a little bit, hurt his feelings a little bit that they didn't want him back.

"Maybe if they would have handled it differently, it might have turned out differently, but I think that's part of the equation and Green Bay made the decision to go on without Brett and bring Aaron (Rodgers) into the picture.

"You can understand the decision. Aaron has certainly carried himself in an exemplary fashion. I mean, you couldn't ask more from a young man on how to handle the crisis situation with dignity and class. I just think Aaron has done a hell of a job and I'm damn sure pulling for him.

"But, again, the Packers made that decision and if that decision was a bad decision, then somebody ought to be called on the carpet and asked, 'Why the hell did you do this?' "
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:13 pm

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. People that retire and unretire should all be rounded up and shot.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Clearly boston_jeff and I do not know that same Packer fans.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:57 pm

Vikings 31, Packers 18
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:59 pm

Where do you get 18 from? 6 field goals?

Packers 31 Queens 17
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking