MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Packers v Vikings

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Who wins?

Packers
50%
Vikings
50%
ESPN
No votes

Total votes : 10

Packers v Vikings

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Fill out the poll and post your predictions. We have a few on record in other threads but thought we could put them all in one place so those of you who pick the Vikings will have a place to eat Crow on Tuesday morning.

Pack 31 Queens 17
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Packers v Vikings

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:46 pm

Damn this is tough. Queens by 18 unless Favre get INT-happy.

Queens 35-17

QB-Tie
RB-Queens
OL-Tie
Receivers--Pack
DL-Queens
Linebackers--Tie
DB-Queens
ST-Tie
Coaching-Tie
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:08 pm

I'll say Packers 24-21. Farve will throw two TDs but two picks as well, with the last to seal the game. Rogers will come out strong and keep GB in the lead. Peterson will have a halfway decent night but not run all over the place - I'll forecast 100+ yards and a TD.

I'll also forecast a low-level hangover Tuesday morning for me, not nearly as bad as half my coworkers will have.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:28 pm

I heard Princess Farve is out with a twisted ankle. The fudgepackers will beat the queens with a mere a 3 pt margin.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:14 am

QB-Tie
RB-Queens
OL-Tie
Receivers--Pack
DL-Queens
Linebackers--Tie
DB-Queens
ST-Tie
Coaching-Tie

QB-Tie
RB-Queens
OL-Queens (Really Ned?)
Receivers--Pack
DL-Queens
Linebackers--(Pack. Kampman, Hawk, Barnizzle, Matthews, Poppinga, Chillar)
DB-Pack hands down (Woodson is playing like the MVP right now HArris is better than anyone on MN Collins is a pro bowler and will play)
ST-Queens - Percy Harvin.
Coaching-Tie
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:35 am

I don't think that the Vikings OL is superior. Favre was beaten up pretty good last week. Matt Birk is gone. Steve Hutchinson is hurt.

Peterson gets a lot of his yards downfield by punishing LBs and DBs
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:08 pm

I think this is the game the Pack's OL shortcomings costs them big-time. As in Rodgers getting knocked out of the game. If they keep Rodgers' safety valve receivers (TEs & RBs) in to shore up deficient line play, it'll be boom or bust...with Rodgers getting busted. Hard to play ball control if you have to pull in extra blockers for the passing game.

If the Pack OL rises above, then Vikes 24-21

If the Pack OL plays to form, then Vikes 27-13

Both QBs will likely take a pounding, but Favre will weather it best - especially with a superior RB to keep the Pack D honest.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:23 pm

I can get behind Keelio's assessment but I'm just a little more optimistic. This could also be the game where that O line gets its shit together and plays at least somewhat respectable. This could also be a game where that Packers D really takes over. As for QB durability. Yes Favre has the track record but he's also almost 40 years old. It's hard to make that bet regardless of how many games he's started.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:03 pm

I'm just hoping for Paul Bunyan's Axe.

Monday night could be ugly, so ugly, but I hope I'm wrong.

Anybody want to bet if Peterson has twice as many rushing yards as Grant?

Prediction for play of the game: Favre shovel pass picked off by Jolly.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby buckyor » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:33 pm

The Packers will win this game if they run the ball at least 25 times. Despite the reputation of the Williams Wall, the Vikes can be run on. Ask the Lions. The Packers themselves had success last season running the football (had they run more often, I think they'd have won the rematch in the Dome).

That said, I don't have a lot of confidence in McCarthy's (or Philbin's) offensive gameplans. If, as I fear, we see a lot of 7 step drops for Rodgers with only 2 receivers, we'll get drilled.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:42 pm

I think the 3-4 defensive scheme is a total bust, personally. While it's been pretty good at creating turnovers, it's been totally ineffective at stopping even mediocre running backs. Basically RB's start with two yards and see what they can get from there. That won't win you many football games.

Statistically, this game will look terrible from the Packers perspective. Favre will outgun Rodgers and Peterson is going to run all over the field, yet the Packers will win the turnover margin and eke out an unlikely victory. Our DB's know Favre and they know what kind of mistakes he's likely to make when he's under pressure. I give them at least two and maybe three picks. Add a Favre fumble for icing on the cake.

Packers 20- Vikings 17
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:12 am

Well last night wasn't the night the O line pulled it together like I had hoped. In fact the opposite I'm sure everyone noticed. Until Rodgers last night I don't think anyone has spent that much time on their back in one night in MN since Ned at that 2004 Bush fundraiser. Better get that fixed. When Collidge went out I was seriously thinking just put in Flynn. Why risk getting Rodgers maimed. Oh well you win some (hopefully) and you lose some. Still like they way the kid handled that constant pressure and the way the D shut down AP.
Go Pack!
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:12 am

Favre: The Drinking Game would have been deadly last night.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:20 am

pjbogart wrote:I think the 3-4 defensive scheme is a total bust, personally. While it's been pretty good at creating turnovers, it's been totally ineffective at stopping even mediocre running backs. Basically RB's start with two yards and see what they can get from there. That won't win you many football games.

Statistically, this game will look terrible from the Packers perspective. Favre will outgun Rodgers and Peterson is going to run all over the field, yet the Packers will win the turnover margin and eke out an unlikely victory. Our DB's know Favre and they know what kind of mistakes he's likely to make when he's under pressure. I give them at least two and maybe three picks. Add a Favre fumble for icing on the cake.

Packers 20- Vikings 17

Dont quit yor day job... I think you wrong on all accounts.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking