MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, January 30, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

"They're saying..."

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

"They're saying..."

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:22 am

Be careful whenever you hear these words. What follows is likely to be unforgivable BS. To wit, on this morning's Channel 3 gab fest, Mark Koehn says "They're saying tonight will be the biggest game in Minnesota Vikings history."

Well, the biggest if you don't count four Super Bowls, four conference championship games and numerous important match-ups in the playoffs over the four decades of the team's history.

I understand that not every single Packers fan knows a lot about the game, but you'd think that professional reporters whose job is to help make sense of the world would attempt to convey a little information and not just noise.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "They're saying..."

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:12 am

Sounds like somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

People are just having fun hyping the hell out of this thing. It's gotten so ridiculous that at this point you just have to sit back and laugh at it. It is genuinely funny...unless you feel curmudgeonly, in which case one can enjoy sitting back and bitching about it. That can be fun too.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:15 am

jjoyce wrote:I understand that not every single Packers fan knows a lot about the game, but you'd think that professional reporters whose job is to help make sense of the world would attempt to convey a little information and not just noise.

You would think (or hope), but mostly all you will get out of these guys is more inane hype. I can only imagine the garbage being spewed on sports talk radio today.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:18 am

Mark Koehn tweaks the Vikings and, sure enough, an indignant fan takes the bait.

Predictable.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:19 am

Mark Koehn tweaks the Vikings and, sure enough, an indignant fan takes the bait.

Wait. The Vikings have fans? If not for the ageless one how many blackouts would they be facing this year?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:52 am

jjoyce wrote:Well, the biggest if you don't count four Super Bowls, four conference championship games and numerous important match-ups in the playoffs over the four decades of the team's history.

Yup, their history says it all.
How many times have we seen the Vikings get off to a hot start and then, inevitably, fade down the stretch?
Born to lose.

Big game tonight.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby entretanto » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:54 am

jjoyce wrote:Well, the biggest if you don't count four Super Bowls...

Maybe the Vikings should have acted more like those were the biggest games in their history.
You really sure you want to count (or remember) those? Remind me again how many of those ended up in the "W" column.
entretanto

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:02 pm

Blackouts. I find this predictable jab from Packers fans to be the easiest to counter of any. It basically comes down to the Packers have better fans than the Vikings do. Congratulations. Being a devoted sports fan is certainly a badge of honor in our society. But taking credit for the Packers' string of sell-outs from your seat in Madison is nearly meaningless. Consider:

- The Vikings play in the Twin Cities, a large metropolitan area with a lot of arts and entertainment offerings in any given weekend. The Packers, meanwhile, play in Green Bay. You don't get to take credit for zero blackouts if you watch every game from a bar stool or your couch in Madison.

- The Vikings have engaged in many, many business practices that are not fan friendly. My own family gave up season tickets way back in the early '80s. Evidently, fans are just supposed to take this kind of treatment and support their team anyway. "Through thick and thin," Packers fan will insist.

Why? It's a business. A product offered for profit. If that product fails to meet expectations repeatedly over time, wouldn't only a sucker continue buying it? Most around here can't remember much of the lean years at Lambeau. I wonder how easy it was to pick up a ticket back then. I didn't live here then, but I can't imagine that Lynn Dickey jerseys were in abundance in our area's elementary schools.

When the Vikings sucked and their owners were shafting fans, they didn't hang around. They gave up their tickets and found something else to do on Sundays, like playing hockey (speaking for myself here).

- The Twins have won two World Series Championships in my lifetime ('87 and '91). If you and your family spend $X on sports each year, why wouldn't you devote a larger percentage to seeing a winner? Sconnies understandably can't weigh in here, as the Brewers have been pathetic losers for much of a full generation, with the franchise's high point coming in a World Series loss. But take it from me: It's easy to write off your football team when it continues to make one bad move after another and your baseball team continues to over-achieve.

To Minnesota sports fans, tonight's game isn't even as big as what took place in that same building yesterday and what will happen there tomorrow. It's a regular season game against the border rivals, which can be fun, but shouldn't be considered huge by any stretch. Get over yourselves, Packers fans.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:06 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Wait. The Vikings have fans? If not for the ageless one how many blackouts would they be facing this year?

One could say that Vikings fans are more discerning consumers of sports entertainment, and won't repeatedly shell out for mediocre product merely based on the color of the laundry.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:19 pm

Why? It's a business. A product offered for profit. If that product fails to meet expectations repeatedly over time, wouldn't only a sucker continue buying it?

Hmmm I always considered being a fair weather fan to be a BAD thing apparently it's just being a good consumer.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:25 pm

jjoyce wrote: Most around here can't remember much of the lean years at Lambeau. I wonder how easy it was to pick up a ticket back then.

I'm sure it was much easier to scalp a ticket back then, but that's still what you needed to do to obtain one. Unless I'm mistaken, Lambeau has been sold out since 1960.

And, your BS argument about there being more choices of entertainment in The Cities is, at the least, outweighed by a much larger population.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm a little confused by this thread in general.

That being said, I like the drama surrounding this game. Anyone here have any money riding on it?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Actually, I think the Twins improbably playoff game tomorrow is stealing a lot of the thunder of tonight's game although groups were already wandering around at 8 a.m. in their Vikings/Packers garb.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:48 pm

jjoyce wrote:To Minnesota sports fans, tonight's game isn't even as big as what took place in that same building yesterday and what will happen there tomorrow.

Don't tell that to the startribune.com or its readers.

Top story on the site "All Eyes on Favre vs. Packers".

Also check the "Most Popular" section - the game tonight dominates.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Y'mean the Vikings game is the most important story to the visitors of a site that has trafficked in almost nothing but Vikings news since training camp opened?

Eye on the ball here, people. The point was made on the Madison news in Madison this morning that "they're saying" tonight's Vikings/Packers game is the "biggest game in Vikings history." This notion should be laughable to anyone not currently stinking of paint thinner.

I wouldn't expect that Packers fans know what it means to have a team competing for a major league baseball divisional pennant. Trust me: It's a bigger deal than a regular season football game.

Don't believe me? Let's consult Google Insight. In the last seven days, the following are considered "hot" search terms that have experienced significant growth. Here's Wisconsin's:

1. roman polanski +1,000%
2. yom kippur +550%
3. brett favre +130%
4. vikings +60%
5. bank of america +60%
6. yellow pages +50%
7. wisn +50%
8. gap +50%
9. calendar 2009 +50%
10. act +50%

Here's Minnesota's:

1. twins baseball +300%