MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

"They're saying..."

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: "They're saying..."

Postby acereraser » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:27 pm

Oh. I guess I'd still say the Packers are a unique franchise, what with the public ownership, and jjoyce deserves some credit, the Green Bay metro (?) area does not offer a lot of entertainment competition.

Whatever, I've lost my train of thought, and I've gotta run. Enjoy yourself! Let's hope no one gets seriously injured!
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:14 pm

I'm so excited I've already pissed my Packer pants.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby nevermore » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Marvell wrote:My big takeaway from this thread is that the Packers should replace Aaron Rodgers with Roman Polanski.

Let's see...rape allegation involving a teenage girl and a hot tub. You sure Roman Polanski didn't play tight end for the Packers already?

Oh, and if he's done it once, jason's told us dozens of times over the years not to respond to trolls. From now on, whenever he does that, there should be a link to this thread.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:14 pm

Where did joyce say that Minnesota sports fans were better fans than Packers fans? Minneapolis is a better city in which to live than Green Bay. I'll have that discussion with you. But don't say I wrote something I clearly didn't just to make your ham fisted point.

The North Stars situation is beyond your limited reach, fisticuffs, as it involved a criminal owner, some blackmail and a resolution to get out at all costs. If you're actually suggesting that the Stars left because they couldn't sell tickets, then you're as fact challenged as the trolls with whom you engage so frequently on these boards.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:25 am

Here are the NHL attendances during the final years of the No Stars - http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/index.p ... 18-2008-09

You read that right: The year they went to the Stanley Cup Finals, their average attendance was less than 8,000.

But if you really want to run smack about teams finding success after leaving unappreciative Minnesota "fans", I'd be running Los Angeles Lakers smack rather than Dallas Stars smack.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:42 am

jjoyce wrote:
The North Stars situation is beyond your limited reach, fisticuffs, as it involved a criminal owner, some blackmail and a resolution to get out at all costs. If you're actually suggesting that the Stars left because they couldn't sell tickets, then you're as fact challenged as the trolls with whom you engage so frequently on these boards.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

Are you saying that this article is hogwash, Jason? Poor attendance and an inability to secure a new arena were major factors.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:03 am

... cited by an owner who wanted to get out anyways, thanks to a sexual harassment suit and local taxpayers not caving to his every desire. Did you read that story? I think I still have a hard copy of it somewhere. Norm Green is the Bob Irsay of hockey.

Don't fall for another "they're saying" deal.

This is another reason why the Vikings will never be like the Packers: People up there like hockey and hockey season starts now. College and pro hockey are both underway and the high school season, which is serious business up there, starts in another month or so.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:26 am

jjoyce wrote:... cited by an owner who wanted to get out anyways, thanks to... local taxpayers not caving to his every desire.

Ummm...how is this any different from stating they couldn't secure a new arena?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:19 am

From the 10/5 Tony Kornheiser Show on ESPN 980 in DC:

Tony Kornheiser: You've been in Minnesota, now, how many years--over 20, right?

Dan Barreiro, KFAN broadcaster: Uhh, '86, so yeah, do the math. Like 20--almost 25.

TK: And you, y'know, went to University of Indiana, so you've been in the Midwest, except for those years--

DB: It's Indiana University, dammit. Come on.

TK: Whatever it is. But you're a Midwestern guy, that's fair to say.

DB: Chicago kid, correct.

TK: In all of your time being in Minnesota, and looking at Minnesota, and all of the teams that they've had--has there ever been anyone as charismatic as Favre, even if you only have him for an hour?

DB: Uhh, in a word, no.

Mentions Garnett as coming close, and that's it. That's the list. Gonna take cheap shots at Dan, too, jjoyce? Gonna accuse him of not knowing what he's talking about, or not having the proper perspective on Minnesota sports?

Or can we finally just agree that some people--and that group cuts across a lot of lines--are very taken by Favre, and that vapid morning teevee dorks are just that?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:46 am

I would have a pretty good argument with Barreiro (who originally coined the paint thinner references while writing a column for the Strib) who didn't come up with the obvious response in a live interview. I'm sure if I said "What about Puckett?" to him, we'd be able to have a pretty good discussion about it, and I'd win. Barreiro was never really a baseball guy and, to this day, takes every opportunity to rip the Twins. I listen to his podcast daily.

Also this: Kornheiser's obsession with Favre is legendary and closing in on pathetic. What a question to ask!

Here's all I'll admit to: Those who don't live in Minnesota who seem to want desperately to assign some level of importance to Favre's presence there, to justify their own obsession with #4, will be able to have a decent discussion. But when it comes to where last night's game ranks on the list of "big" games in the Minnesota sportsiverse, I'm not sure it makes the top ten.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:51 am

acereraser wrote:Oh. I guess I'd still say the Packers are a unique franchise, what with the public ownership

This "public ownership" thing that PackerBackers say makes the team different from other franchises confuses me no less since moving to Cheeseland. Exactly how do the many PackerBackers who own public shares in the team participate in ownership of the team? Did they ask you folks what to do about Favre last year? How does this public ownership give you any more tangible involvement with the Packers than I have with the Bears? And even as a Bears fan it's my right--no, my privilege--to have been asked by my tax preparer if I'd like to contribute to the Lambeau Field funding. Seems like "public ownership" is little more than personal seat licenses by another name.

the Green Bay metro (?) area does not offer a lot of entertainment competition.

This I agree with 100% having spent some quality time there. Win or lose, I'd prefer to be in Chicago before and after the game rather than in Green Bay.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stan Darsh » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:09 am

jjoyce wrote:..the Brewers have been pathetic losers for much of a full generation...

Get over yourselves, Packers fans.

Why do you hate Wisconsin? You probably hate America. And little babies too.
Stan Darsh

Postby supaunknown » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:09 am

Man, fuck Minnesota.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:18 am

They elect a board that hires a president who oversees the operation. It's not that much different from a corporation, although Packers stock isn't publicly traded. Same goes for the Boston Celtics, yes?

What's interesting about the deal is that the NFL forbids such an arrangement now. GB is grandfathered in.

But the fact remains that GB is a tiny town where pro football occupies an inordinately huge part of society. Its residents think that if you're not as into football as they are, you're a "fair weather" fan. And my point about the Brewers is only that of course fans around here have a messed up set of priorities: They don't have a decent baseball team that keeps them engaged into October. It's a foreign concept to them.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:24 am

I agree 100% with Joyce's assertion that this was not the most important game in Minnesota Vikings history. People in all sports markets (fans and broadcasters) say stupid things, and WI is not immune.

I was hoping for a close game, but what transpired was pretty entertaining and at the very least, proved that Favre has a lot left in the tank. Remember, this is the man who took your team to the NFC championship game a few months before the Packers traded him. The Pack "wanted their team back" and decided to move on without Brett. Now he's moved on, and has a shot at another title. It is what it is.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking