MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

backpacker

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

backpacker

Postby aanerutha » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:56 am

Where's a good place to go for a white Xmas for a poor backpacker? My friend and I are from NZ and currently working in England. We would love to have our first white xmas this year but everywhere is sooo expensive! Any suggestions?
Last edited by aanerutha on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
aanerutha

Re: backpacker

Postby rabble » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:12 am

I like Governor Dodge State Park in the winter time. There are lots of lovely little nooks and crannies. Nice snowshoeing.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:47 am

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is very reasonable. And plenty of snow.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:12 am

My mom swears by the southern tip of Lake Superior, in the Ashland/Bayfield area. Her land up there is prime snowshoeing territory.

(For the foreign nationals, you'd probably want to look into flying into Duluth, although I think there's an eensy-weensy airport closer-by.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 am

It never snows in England or New Zealand.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:47 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:My mom swears by the southern tip of Lake Superior, in the Ashland/Bayfield area. Her land up there is prime snowshoeing territory.

(For the foreign nationals, you'd probably want to look into flying into Duluth, although I think there's an eensy-weensy airport closer-by.)

My dad's been to a lot of great hiking/snowshoeing areas of the US and he loves the coasts of Lake Superior.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:21 pm

To the OP: Do you actually want to get out and hike in a white Xmas, or just visit somewhere that will be snowy? By asking about where a "backpacker" can go, did you mean you want to backpack, or just that backpacking is your travel mode and price range?

If you are looking for a community to hang out in with guaranteed snow, you can always go to Minneapolis/St Paul. There is a hostel there, so that should be reasonably priced accommodations. It's a pleasant place, and likely to be snowy.

Madison has a hostel as well, but we are not guaranteed to have snow. As a matter of fact, they are predicting a very mild winter.

If you actually want to be outdoor/camping/hiking, I would second the recommendations for Bayfield area or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The UP can be pretty remote, so a car is a necessity, and that's expensive.

In the Bayfield area, I suggest staying in Washburn, which is waaaaay cheaper than Bayfield - the main tourist center. There is bus service to Bayfield, which is 12 miles away, and the prices are more backpacker-friendly.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking