MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Duke game

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

The Duke game

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:56 am

Duke by 16. I'm tempted to say even more, but I think the home court advantage will keep it within reach, but Wisconsin doesn't stand much of a chance. Why? Because unlike a lot of teams, Duke can win inside and outside and Wisconsin can't defend both, especially teams with more than one outside threat. Look at any big game where Wisconsin can't stop a hot outside shooter. And unlike Wisconsin, Duke has more than one or two guys who can shoot from outside.

Duke is the team Wisconsin seeks to be with big guys who can score outside and guards who can post up. Wisconsin is shooting 29% from three-point range and Duke is shooting 40%.

Finally, Trevon Hughes is averaging 2.6 turnovers per game to just 2 assists. Compare that to Duke's Jon Scheyer who averages just .5 turnovers per game to 5.2 assists. Hughes' bad decisions played a big role in Wisconsin's loss of a couple years ago at Duke. Is he really that much wiser now? He's leading the team in scoring, but he's only shooting 39%. That's worse than anyone playing for Duke.

In a game like this, he's got to do a better job of distributing. I'm concerned that he'll think he has to score 24, as he did against Arizona, for them to win and I don't think he can do that against Duke.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Duke game

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:17 pm

jjoyce wrote:Duke by 16. I'm tempted to say even more, but I think the home court advantage will keep it within reach, but Wisconsin doesn't stand much of a chance. Why? Because unlike a lot of teams, Duke can win inside and outside and Wisconsin can't defend both, especially teams with more than one outside threat. Look at any big game where Wisconsin can't stop a hot outside shooter. And unlike Wisconsin, Duke has more than one or two guys who can shoot from outside.

Finally, Trevon Hughes is averaging 2.6 turnovers per game to just 2 assists. Compare that to Duke's Jon Scheyer who averages just .5 turnovers per game to 5.2 assists. Hughes' bad decisions played a big role in Wisconsin's loss of a couple years ago at Duke. Is he really that much wiser now? He's leading the team in scoring, but he's only shooting 39%. That's worse than anyone playing for Duke.

In a game like this, he's got to do a better job of distributing. I'm concerned that he'll think he has to score 24, as he did against Arizona, for them to win and I don't think he can do that against Duke.

Love having 2 of the 3 teams i grew up watching play eachother.

Agree with your assessment jj. Just hoping UW is within 10 with 5 min. left...
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:48 pm

What a cold, clinical analysis. I'm glad I'm not sitting by you.

You are probably right, though. UW does best against more talented teams when they are undisciplined, and the Badgers can lure them into foul trouble, then poor shot selection. One thing Duke is not is undisciplined.

But, I will take the under on your point spread, just for kicks. My biggest hope is for a strong but not disgusting display from the student section.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:52 pm

I know I'm a hopeless optimist when it comes to Badger B-ball, but I think the intangibles are going to shred the paper tonight. Was originally thinking intangibles outweigh the paper...but then paper covers rock. What I mean is ...this could be one of those games where the stats get thrown to the wind. I think Hughes, Bohannon & Leuer will be highly motivated to erase the memory of their past Duke experience and will elevate the Badgers' play on-court. Coach Ryan will have them level-headed, disciplined and playing their game - not getting completely discombobulated a couple minutes in, as per round 1 with the dukies. I'm predicting Bucky by five - 78-73, with Hughes being completely vindicated.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:18 pm

Basketball's a sport where one tremendous player can make up for their team's shortcomings. Unfortunately, Bucky may not have one of those, and Duke is stacked from top to bottom. Whup-on the Badgers. Blue-balled Devils by 27.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:04 pm

acereraser wrote:What a cold, clinical analysis. I'm glad I'm not sitting by you.

I'm a blast to sit next to, mainly because I make up trash talk on the spot and it's often incomprehensible. "You wanna bring that North Cackalacky shit to a Big Ten gym? Well put on your bib, Dukie, 'cuz you're about to get fed your lunch and it's not gonna be barbecue!"

But the light of day calls for objective observation, no?

I'll post some stuff to Twitter during the game tonight if you're interested. twitter.com/jjoyce
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:25 pm

jjoyce wrote:
acereraser wrote:What a cold, clinical analysis. I'm glad I'm not sitting by you.

I'm a blast to sit next to, mainly because I make up trash talk on the spot and it's often incomprehensible. "You wanna bring that North Cackalacky shit to a Big Ten gym? Well put on your bib, Dukie, 'cuz you're about to get fed your lunch and it's not gonna be barbecue!"

I'll post some stuff to Twitter during the game tonight if you're interested. twitter.com/jjoyce

I will be there as well. Cant wait!

Line is Duke -4. Wow!
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:11 pm

Peacetrain wrote:
jjoyce wrote:

I will be there as well. Cant wait!

Line is Duke -4. Wow!

I just checked, cuz that seemed low, and the lines I saw were either Duke minus 4 1/2 or 5. I don't wager much, what is the assumed bump for the home team, 3-5 points? So, really the prediction is Duke by 8 to 10? Seems fair.

By the way, what is Bobby Hurley up to these days?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:20 pm

keelio wrote:I know I'm a hopeless optimist when it comes to Badger B-ball, but I think the intangibles are going to shred the paper tonight. Was originally thinking intangibles outweigh the paper...but then paper covers rock. What I mean is ...this could be one of those games where the stats get thrown to the wind. I think Hughes, Bohannon & Leuer will be highly motivated to erase the memory of their past Duke experience and will elevate the Badgers' play on-court. Coach Ryan will have them level-headed, disciplined and playing their game - not getting completely discombobulated a couple minutes in, as per round 1 with the dukies. I'm predicting Bucky by five - 78-73, with Hughes being completely vindicated.

Man, that keelio kinda knows what he's talkin about! :D
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:31 pm

Holy Shit! Bucky takes it 73-69! They led the whole game. Time for some folks to eat crow...not that I predicted this win either.

One thing that annoys me...students selling their tickets to opponent fans. I was really getting annoyed by all the shots of that tubby, "Where's Waldo" Dukie fan right in the front of our student section plus all the other little spots of blue throughout. Anyway, our fans helped make the Kohl look like a premier venue tonight. I hope those of you who got to go had a blast...and if you didn't, I wanna know why!
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Wow! Great game. Physical. The Badgers protected their homecourt well. Duke is shaken to the core. Awesome.
I just ate my hat. Mmm-mmm good.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Wow. Just wow. Is it just me or do the Badgers always put on their best performances when they're supposed to be having a "down year"?

Gratz Bucky. Way to make the whole freakin' State smile.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:33 am

Wow! What a great game!!
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:20 am

Rewatching the 1st half (TiVo'd), I don't know if I've ever seen a Badger basketball team play a better-looking half. Lights-out shooting, stifling defense, great ball control and patience. If we can recreate that magic, we can hang with any team in the nation. Problem is, we rarely have such a solid shooting half. This team has the talent for another surprising run though, no doubt about it. When his head is on right, Hughes is a flat-out STUD.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby Peacetrain » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:30 am

Holy shit, 4 turnovers! Only 1 from starting 5. Thats impressive against anyone, amazing to do that against Duke.

Loudest ive ever heard the Kohl Center.

How bout that halftime show JJ?
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking