MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Loud Mouth Idiot who is helping destroy baseball

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Loud Mouth Idiot who is helping destroy baseball

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:52 pm

sees fit to take a shot at the Brewers owner for pointing out the obvious.
http://sports.espn.go.com/newyork/mlb/n ... id=5060292
at least he had the decency to LIE in the process. $175 Mil over 7 years spread across multiple teams does not equal hundreds of millions given to the Brewers that they should spend on players. What an asshat.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Loud Mouth Idiot who is helping destroy baseball

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:26 am

The appeal of pro sports baffles me. Point out some CEO or business executive pulling in 33 million to your average sports fan and they will most likely recoil in disgust and go on a 5 minute tirade about corporate greed and the widening gap between the rich and themselves, and I might agree with them. But put the guy on third base and they'll cum all over themselves trying to get him to sign his jersey they just paid $40 for.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:52 am

Meehh...I don't know about that. Maybe right up until the point that the team struggles, or the player struggles, or the player does something that can be interpreted (reasonably or otherwise) as demonstrating a sense of entitlement.

Then the "fan" goes apeshit about how much money athletes made, and how "if I made that kind of money, I sure as hell wouldn't be ___," or "that guy makes so much money, he doesn't do a single hard day's work in his entire work week, he doesn't deserve it."

Yes, athletes do get a little more of a pass from the anti-expertise underculture in America than, say, teachers or scientists. But only a little.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:44 am

Oh god forbid the multi-millionaire stickball player catch a little shit from some drunk in the stands for missing a catch. I'm sure he lies awake thinking about it later that night on his Vividus mattress.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:47 am

That was sarcasm, yes?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:42 am

Well...no, but maybe I misunderstood your point. It seemed like you were justifying their pay for dealing with the fickle affections of the sports fan. To which I would say boo hoo. We live in a country where a guy can make a billion dollars for being a really good golfer and an aide in a nursing home might make $100 a day for wiping people's butts.

Sorry for the threadjack fisti.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:51 am

No no, I'm saying that fans aren't necessarily as accepting of high sports salaries as you seemed to be stating in your first post.

The same "snobs vs. slobs" mentality kicks in more often than not, although the pretension and judgment comes from the slob end in this case.

I will, however, basically defend the right of any athlete (or other celebrity) to A) make whatever the market for his or her industry will support, and B) still have problems like every other human. Their money doesn't mean they can't complain about the weather, nawmsayin?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 pm

I also do not blame athletes for taking the money they can get, I'd do the same. It's the market that supports the industry that baffles me and brings me back to my original thoughts..

narcoleptish wrote: Point out some CEO or business executive pulling in 33 million to your average sports fan and they will most likely recoil in disgust and go on a 5 minute tirade about corporate greed and the widening gap between the rich and themselves, and I might agree with them. But put the guy on third base and they'll cum all over themselves trying to get him to sign his jersey they just paid $40 for.

..and the idea that yes, many fans do show resentment for the money players make but continue to support the industry, an industry fueled by disposable income.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:19 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I also do not blame athletes for taking the money they can get, I'd do the same. It's the market that supports the industry that baffles me and brings me back to my original thoughts..

narcoleptish wrote: Point out some CEO or business executive pulling in 33 million to your average sports fan and they will most likely recoil in disgust and go on a 5 minute tirade about corporate greed and the widening gap between the rich and themselves, and I might agree with them. But put the guy on third base and they'll cum all over themselves trying to get him to sign his jersey they just paid $40 for.

..and the idea that yes, many fans do show resentment for the money players make but continue to support the industry, an industry fueled by disposable income.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but: How is this any different from the film or music industry?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:41 pm

Or any industry?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Oh it's not. But this is a sports thread..
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking