MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Pete Rose: cheater

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Pete Rose: cheater

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:50 pm

If you're around my age, you probably heard way too much about Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose when you were a kid. Watch how Rose plays, somebody would say, he hustles. He's not the most gifted guy, but he gives 110% all the time. Back then, when there was no ESPN, we got our baseball highlights on This Week in Baseball (which I discovered over the weekend is still on TV).

I never bought it. I always thought Rose was an arrogant ass. I hated his sneer and his cocky way of speaking to the press. I always rooted against him, whether he played for the Phillies or the Reds. Rod Carew was my guy, a naturally great hitter who played the game the way he carried himself off the field: with grace. While Rose took great pains to make sure he got credit, Carew was quiet and unassuming.

I'm firmly in the camp of thinking Rose should stay banned from baseball and I don't care that his banishment comes from crimes committed as a manager, not as a player. His contempt for the truth and unwillingness to admit that gambling while a manager -- even if it was allegedly never against his own team -- was wrong paint him as a guy who cares more about his ability to cash in on a spot in the Hall of Fame than the game he claims to love.

Now comes this: In Rose's pursuit of Ty Cobb's career hits record, he used a corked bat.

http://deadspin.com/5555714/this-is-pet ... corked-bat

"Go up to Steve Wolter and get that 4192 bat," Rose said in 2004. "Take it to an examiner and see if there's any cork in it. I guarantee you there won't be.

"If somebody has a corked bat that has my name on it, bring it on down."

So what, right? Again, if you're my age and follow baseball, you've been beaten over the head by Rose's accomplishments and how he got them more through hard work and playing the game "the right way" instead of with a surplus of natural talent. But the more we learn about Rose, the less there is to like.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pete Rose: cheater

Postby Walter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:59 pm

+1 on Rose. I feel the same way about Griffey Jr (obnoxious, arrogant, sneering), Rickey Henderson (what an asshole), and all those guys chasing the home run records a few years ago (cheaters...really, you were 150 lbs at the start of your career? Now your neck is the circumference of a Volkswagen and you're clean? Oh, sure, sorry for doubting you).

My west of the Mississippi bias is showing but Carew was the man. Don't forget about Tony Oliva, either.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:06 pm

Don't hate on Rose. Whatever you have to do to win, you should do.

Sincerely,

Ray Fosse
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:00 am

I always thought it was an unwritten rule in baseball - it's only cheating if you get caught.

Biggest cheaters in baseball

Or, as in the case of Gaylord Perry, it's O.K. as long as you really flaunt it.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:24 am

A guy who is betting large sums of money on his team to win is also cheating? I am shocked, SHOCKED...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking