MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Giving us a bad name

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Giving us a bad name

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:19 am

I bike a lot so I'm not bemoaning bicyclists, but this type of attitude give us a bad name. I know she rides with this crap on the bike path. I'll take those flags out if I have to pass her.

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=29474
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Giving us a bad name

Postby talagaster » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:04 am

Eh, I'm one of the first people to get annoyed at self-righteous cyclists but this one is reasonable. People don't know or don't care about the 3 foot law. Trying not to get runover by a car isn't what I would call bad behavior. Now, give me something about bikers who walk around all day with a jeans leg rolled up just to remind you that they biked to work... then maybe I'll agree with you.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby HOMOsapien » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:21 am

Unfortunately, no, most people don't know that law. Did Host-Jablonski provide 3 feet of distance between herself and the other biker she was either chatting with or passing? Did she pass when it was clear and safe, or when it was convenient for her? What was she doing? The article wasn't clear about that, which makes me skeptical. The whole story would be nice.

I don't buy the scare story of the stalking anti-biker driver. Bill laid this one on pretty thick. It's as if he wants his readers to imagine a hunting scenario where the villain pulls a crossbow out of the glove compartment while approaching their prey. This archetypal character is typical in Madison's prog/lib media's propaganda narrative about the good bikers as victims, but this villain rarely materializes in the real world. This lore of the stalking car driver has reached mythical status by some anti-car advocates, which is unfortunate. I'm convinced that this perpetual myth does more harm than good because it promotes animosity and fear, not strong riding skills and self discipline.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... No law will make up for common sense, quick street wits, a survival instinct, and critical riding skills. If you're reliant on law to fill safety gaps, you shouldn't be on the road bicycling. Predictably, you'll get hurt sooner or later. Reliance on traffic law is outright irresponsible and puts me at risk in order to make up for your lack of skill and lazy dependencies. This isn't to say law and psychological traffic planning don't have their part on the road, they do, but that's not my point.

I didn't get much out of the article other than what I already knew; law is typically beneficial to few while being harmful to most. I'm an outlaw biker, and I'm still alive to tell my tales.
HOMOsapien

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:45 pm

talagaster wrote:People don't know or don't care about the 3 foot law. Trying not to get runover by a car isn't what I would call bad behavior.

But riding on the bike path with these flags on is. If you're gonna pull this crap, stay off the bike path.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:09 pm

I didn't see the flags the first time I looked at the picture. There are white poles that go out from the sides of the bike, beyond the limits of the photo... are there flags on the end of those?

I agree with Stebben84. This is like spinning around with your arms wide out and warning people not to get into your personal space.

HOMOsapien - why not be a safe, aware and skilled cyclist and also respect traffic signals and markings? Why do you need to be an outlaw? However, your points about not being dependent on the law are totally valid, thanks for adding.
btw, I laughed at this:
quick street wits, a survival instinct, and critical riding skills

Are you talking about a cyclist or an undercover cop embedded in a motorcycle gang? I suppose I'll have to sharpen my wits before heading to Trader Joe's later this afternoon.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Her bike, with all it stickumouts, looks hazardous to herself and others. Not sure if she's the ideal advocate for either cyclist's rights or safety in general.

I'm one of the ignorants who doesn't know what this '3 foot' deal is. I do know that I try to give cyclists more space than that when driving around them.

Does the '<6 feet from the curb whenever possible' law still apply to cyclists?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:30 pm

I believe it is 3 feet from the curb; enough to clear the gap between the curb and the pavement. Watch that gap, if your 32c goes into it at high speed, your going down, possibly into the patch of a vehicle.
HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Stebben84 wrote:the bike path

No offense, but I have to correct you here. It's something other than a bike path, I call it a neutral tem: urban trail. See my post on this matter. It's not a bike specific thoroughfare, it was never intended to be. Pedestrians use it to walk their dogs, some even let their dogs shit in the middle of it. I almost caught a nose in my spokes last week when a dog pulled away from its owner to lunge at me. Totally lame. "Bike Path" was/is a term concocted by politicos designed to frame a public works project as infrastructure rather than an industrial recreational project. It's a lot easier to gather support for Infrastructure. Who can argue with taking some congestion off the streets and protecting us victims from evil cars? This city already has enough side walks, why tell the public it needs another one? Even Tammy Baldwin is confused by this frame, so it doesn't surprise me that the misperception persists.
HOMOsapien

Postby massimo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Who gives a shit what you want to call it? They are known by most as "bike paths", and if you're suggesting that these paths were rammed down our throats under the guise of infrastructure rather than recreational entities, I'd have to say you're probably wrong. Most people like having these paths in their neighborhoods.

I bet you also blow your nose with facial tissue and put bandages on your boo-boos.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:27 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:the bike path

No offense, but I have to correct you here. It's something other than a bike path, I call it a neutral tem: urban trail.

Well bully for you! I call it a "bike path".

HOMOsapien wrote:Why?

Hmm, good question. Some possible reasons:

1) Because that's what I'm used to calling it.

2) Because you're a douchebag.
Last edited by supaunknown on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:42 pm

Why?
HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:48 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Are you talking about a cyclist or an undercover cop embedded in a motorcycle gang?

I need to stop using the word biker and instead use the word cyclist.
HOMOsapien

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:01 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:No offense, but I have to correct you here. It's something other than a bike path, I call it a neutral tem: urban trail.

No offense taken. I call it a bike path just because I use it as such. I could care less what it's called. I've read the other posts about this and we don't need to get into it here. It's actually even worse if there are peds on the path cause then she has to worry about tagging them with her dumb flags.

ArturoBandini wrote:are there flags on the end of those?

Yes.

If she wants to make a statement, just put a sign up. The poles are a danger to her and others around her. I also wonder if it's even legal. I dunno about that one.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:03 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:I need to stop using the word biker and instead use the word cyclist.
Why do you hate cyclops?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:05 pm

One reason people call it a bike path is some of the blue signs that say what it is say bike path.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking