MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

one less bike...

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: one less bike...

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:17 pm

I started biking to work this summer after my job took me downtown. I like it, though Kyle, Josh, and Aaron Motor find it an endless source of unretaliatable Hipster burns......

I'm on the fence about bikers in this town, most of them seem like jackasses (do you really have to wear your red, white and blue Trek jersey for the morning commute?) who appear to have spent more on their bike that I did on my 1st car.

To the Cops on bikes I say "meh," Madison is a smallish, big town, and they need to justify their existence too. If the Feds are going to give them free money to get in shape all summer and not have to sit in the cruiser, who can blame them.

Dan Motor

Mendota Blue!!!!!
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:I'm on the fence about bikers in this town, most of them seem like jackasses (do you really have to wear your red, white and blue Trek jersey for the morning commute?) who appear to have spent more on their bike that I did on my 1st car.

While I admit there is a very healthy percentage of that type of rider, I take issue that most of them are that kind. That may have more to do with with the fact that I do most of my riding between campus and the near east side more than anything else, though.

I run into swarms of spandexies pretty often but most of the riders are normal people whose bikes are just one way to get from A to B. They don't dress for biking and while there are some pretty sharp bikes, most of them are just well maintained utility vehicles.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Matt Logan wrote:my chocolate foot...

I know what that expression means, but why chocolate? Just curious.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:32 pm

rabble wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:I'm on the fence about bikers in this town, most of them seem like jackasses (do you really have to wear your red, white and blue Trek jersey for the morning commute?) who appear to have spent more on their bike that I did on my 1st car.

While I admit there is a very healthy percentage of that type of rider, I take issue that most of them are that kind. That may have more to do with with the fact that I do most of my riding between campus and the near east side more than anything else, though.

I run into swarms of spandexies pretty often but most of the riders are normal people whose bikes are just one way to get from A to B. They don't dress for biking and while there are some pretty sharp bikes, most of them are just well maintained utility vehicles.

whoop! yeah, I probably should have given some specifics on location....

I'm riding from 2 miles west of Hilldale. When I leave in the morning I usually pass a few of the spandex monsters with something to prove coming from middleton. its the same story as you make the brief pass through shorewood to the hospital. Once I hit the lakeshore path coming downtown things normal out a bit and you see people with bikes that don't look like nascars.

To be fair I'm not much of biker, I don't get the culture, the dress, the fascination with Styrofoam helmets, or the padded butt-shorts (I figure "fuck you" i had to suffer a sore ass for the first week when I started riding--they should too!) ....so think of my impressions as that of a n00b

I have to agree there a some very cool rides around town. People in Madison are very resourceful in combining new and old parts into some very commuter-friendly, solid, and fast rides.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:14 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:To be fair I'm not much of biker, I don't get the culture, the dress, the fascination with Styrofoam helmets, or the padded butt-shorts

At my last doctor's visit we talked about what activities I liked and when biking came up, she didn't ask if I wore spandex or padded butt shorts. She asked if I wore a helmet. I don't think you should include helmets in a list of bicycling affectations, but then again if the helmet costs as much as the bike did, maybe you have a point.

I don't like helmets. They're hot and they look dorky. But on the morning commute I am uncomfortable without one because traffic is heavy enough and there are enough idiots to make me believe I could end up in a pile up at 15 or 20 miles an hour no matter how careful I am.

And until now I was unaware that "padded bike shorts" existed. I don't know how I feel about that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:21 am

And until now I was unaware that "padded bike shorts" existed. I don't know how I feel about that.

Really? They look like spandex shorts with a couple of depends sewn into the ass. Super hot look.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:52 am

fisticuffs wrote:
Really? They look like spandex shorts with a couple of depends sewn into the ass. Super hot look.

Agreed. Smoking hot....upon passing someone in a pair I have an almost irresistible urge to give the wearer a big ol' swat on the ass followed by shouting: "GOOD GAME!"

rabble wrote:At my last doctor's visit we talked about what activities I liked and when biking came up, she didn't ask if I wore spandex or padded butt shorts. She asked if I wore a helmet. I don't think you should include helmets in a list of bicycling affectations, but then again if the helmet costs as much as the bike did, maybe you have a point.

I don't like helmets. They're hot and they look dorky. But on the morning commute I am uncomfortable without one because traffic is heavy enough and there are enough idiots to make me believe I could end up in a pile up at 15 or 20 miles an hour no matter how careful I am.

Helmets. Yes, good. Something is better than nothing protecting all my beer addled brain-cells. However, I still have a hard time buying in. I wear my helmet on the Motorcycle, I know that its a glorified bug shield though cause at 65+ mph my brain is goo if I bite it head-on. I don't wear a helmet when I'm skiing (I did when I used to race). But once again, if I kiss a tree on a downhill helmet or not, the ski patrol is bringing my lifeless fat ass down the hill in that orange sled.

I've read briefly about the testing for bike helmets, and come to same conclusion. citation

I mean come on, they drop a 5kg "head" from 2m, and test whether the "head" survives the impact......then the helmet gets a sticker. If they make a test where they simulate the "head" getting launched over the handlebars at 30mph on that downhill by the hospital with my 220 lbs meat-sack behind it. I'd probably change my opinion.

I'll still wear my helmet though...of course.....

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:26 am

fisticuffs wrote:

Hey, some gals pay good money for that look. Booty Pop!
Attachments
Booty Pop 2.jpg
Booty Pop 2.jpg (4.8 KiB) Viewed 422 times
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:29 am

Just when I begin to think I've seen it all, someone comes along with a whole new set of mental images.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:49 am

Be careful about using "most". I think that some are jackasses and those tend to stick out. Some of the jersey wearers do it purely out of comfort. I know a guy who wears his because it wicks sweat and he doesn't need to shower to change into his work shirt.

From my experiences on the SW path, the vast majority of people on bikes in this town are a cross-section of the city itself; mostly just fine, some tools.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:57 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:To be fair I'm not much of biker, I don't get the culture, the dress, the fascination with Styrofoam helmets, or the padded butt-shorts

I had no respect for the butt shorts until I started doing 50-mile rides. Now I get it.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:30 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:

I had no respect for the butt shorts until I started doing 50-mile rides. Now I get it.

I don't. Why not get a padded saddle instead? What's the difference?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:56 pm

rabble wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:

I don't. Why not get a padded saddle instead? What's the difference?

That might work too. Didn't look into it.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:11 pm

jjoyce wrote:

Be careful about using "most". I think that some are jackasses and those tend to stick out. Some of the jersey wearers do it purely out of comfort. I know a guy who wears his because it wicks sweat and he doesn't need to shower to change into his work shirt.

I'm sticking with "most." My warped little world is subject to gross exaggerations...besides, I'm riding in from the near west.

Kenneth Burns wrote:

sweet jeebus, you get a pass. The only way I could do that is if the ride took me past a bar every 5 miles.

...actually, now that I think about it, how long does a 50 mile ride take, a few hours? I'm thinking I could use a pair of those shorts when i go to the bar, it might take the monkeybutt out of sitting on a bar stool for 6 hours. Padded Butt-shorts makers have a whole new market!

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Every time I see this post it invokes "One Less Bell to Answer" by the 5th Dimension. If you're young enough to remember that, you can thank me later. Or not.
Maeve
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking