MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bully bikers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Bully bikers

Postby Crockett » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:06 am

How many peds/drivers have been killed by bikes this year?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:24 am

In the past 20 years?

This is a metric the media, the city, the safety and doubt industries, and neighborhood associations will never publish. It makes their cynical scare stories sound irrelevant, which they are anyway.
HOMOsapien

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:27 am

Bland wrote:Honest (and off-topic) question for bike commuters:
Do you folks change clothes/shower when you get to work?
Cuz everyone I've ever been around after several miles of biking, especially on a hot summer day, gets kinda stinky.

Forgive my ignorance in advance, but I am curious.

My commute is almost 5 miles. I bring a change of clothes and some deodorant and I'm good to go. I have many co-workers that bike to work many miles and they never smell.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:40 am

Bland, good question. I take it easy on my 8.5 mile commute, but I still bring a different shirt to wear at school, and I keep deodorant in my desk.

Winter commuting is actually MORE difficult. I wear a lot of cold weather gear, and end up sweating quite a bit under all that stuff, so I bring shorts and a hawaiian shirt to wear at school. The students get a kick out of that, seeing me walk around as if it is summer, when it is February. I actually had some idiot special-ed teacher yell at me about wearing shorts in the winter. Oh well, it takes all types.

I'm a recreational road biker, but I agree that the spandex crowd (of which I'm a member) needs to think deeply about how they/we are perceived by pedestrians and motorists. The anecdote about 3 cyclists riding abreast was a great example--this should simply not happen.

When we're on rides out in the country, like the Wednesday Night Bike Rides, the call of "car back!" seems to be pretty effective at getting the cyclists to ride mostly in line, or 2 abreast at most. IIRC, riding 2 abreast is completely legal, but still, we have to make sure the car can easily pass us. And it is always the hammerheads, the peleton of riders who are averaging 23+ mph for the ride, who refuse to line up to let the cars pass.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:17 am

Crockett wrote:How many peds/drivers have been killed by bikes this year?

HOMOsapien wrote:0

In the past 20 years?

This is a metric the media, the city, the safety and doubt industries, and neighborhood associations will never publish. It makes their cynical scare stories sound irrelevant, which they are anyway.

Maybe no one wants to publish it because it's not true.
It's certainly not common, but pedestrians most definitely get struck and killed by bicycles.
http://www.wtsp.com/news/mostpop/story. ... ovider=top
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01735.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/t ... it_by.html
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/200 ... ebate.html
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:47 am

Face palm. I don't have the time to delve into the trivial. It so great to know so many Madisonians do.

I knew I should have narrowed my comment to Madison's walker-cyclist collisions that lead to a death. I knew I should have preempted those who would take a marginal occurrence and blow it out of proportion. I knew someone would post nationwide stats about walker-cyclist collisions and then spin the stats as purely death inducing collisions and link it to a MADISON area topic. But again, I have a job and a life.

Could someone who does have the time to deal with this bull shit post all of the walker-cyclist collisions that ended in a death in MADISON in the past 20 years? I'm sure the number is 0 or close to it.
HOMOsapien

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:02 am

HOMOsapien wrote:I knew I should have narrowed my comment to Madison's walker-cyclist collisions that lead to a death.

Mighty provincial of you.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:03 am

HOMOsapien wrote:I knew I should have preempted those who would take a marginal occurrence and blow it out of proportion.
Yeah, you're right -- when I said "it's certainly not common" I really was blowing things out of proportion, wasn't I? 'Cuz clearly, when it comes to bike accidents, I'm all about exaggeration and fearmongering.

And for the record, it took me less time to Google those news stories than it did for you to write your backtracking response.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:30 am

Stebben84 wrote:
Cuz everyone I've ever been around after several miles of biking, especially on a hot summer day, gets kinda stinky.

My commute is almost 5 miles. I bring a change of clothes and some deodorant and I'm good to go. I have many co-workers that bike to work many miles and they never smell.

I also keep a change of clothes at work, but rarely need to change when I get there. My officemates are not the sort of people to give me a pass on that sort of thing. The few times I've changed shirts, I had already decided to change before I walked in the door and they told me to. Honest.

But then, I try hard to pace myself and not work up a sweat and on the really hot muggy days I ride the bus.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:43 am

No matter the season I sweat a lot when i ride.

I bring a change of clothes and use this stuff called Rocket Shower.

http://www.10nine8.net/

Works for me.

There's a ton of dumbasses and assholes out there. Even on the bike paths.

I've yelled at a few pedestrians for stepping right in front of me on the path without looking. Just yesterday my wife and I were run of the path twice on our ride out to Riley....by cyclists not paying any attention. One of my pet peeves on the path is cyclists who can't wait to pass someone so they ride right out into the oncoming lane. I hope they don't drive a car the way they ride a bike.

Just like with car drivers it's the distractions that cause a lot of the problems. It's not uncommon at all for me to see cyclists talking on their cellphones or even riding no handed, head down texting. iPods are also a huge problem.

But what the heck. I like riding so I put up with other humans. I too remember the days when the curb was the bike lane. Compared to that the paths are awesome.

Oh yeah. Stopping for lights and signs is interval training. Real "hard" riders don't mind the slight bit of extra work at all.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Assholes - who would miss them?

Postby Marvell » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:06 pm

gargantua wrote:All the back-and-forthing I've been reading about this just leads to the obvious conclusion that there is a certain percentage of assholes in any group, be they motorists, bicyclists, pedestrian, or what have you.

There's not much anyone can do about that, unfortunately.

That's where you're wrong, my friend.

The Green Fist party has a comprehensive final solution to the asshole question, and will be poised to implement it with ruthless-yet-impersonal-efficiency just as soon as an easily-hoodwinked populace votes us into power in November of 2012.

So - remember to vote Green Fist. As our campaign slogan helpfully reminds you:

Fools! Fools! I'll CRUSH you!!!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:12 pm

For a stankless day, I shower when I get to work.

There are some logistics involved in getting my clothes to work and back, but I'm starting to iron out the kinks.

Some people give me weird looks when I emerge from the shower room on our floor. Some people can go fuck themselves.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:26 pm

dave esmond wrote:I bring a change of clothes and use this stuff called Rocket Shower.

http://www.10nine8.net/

Good lord. What sort of business forces you to create an account with all your personal information before it lets you see prices? What am I missing?

Ah. Okay, they disguised it fairly well but I found it.

Never mind.
Last edited by rabble on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Gotta agree with rabble. I took a look at the web page, and quickly left. Looks very 1997ish. If they could get a local retailer to carry the stuff, maybe, but the closest retailer is apparently in Stevens Point.

A small squeeze bottle with rubbing alcohol in it would probably work just as well.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Yeah the website is horrible. Not the first time Ive bought and liked something from a place with a horrible website tho'.

Maybe call one of the Trek stores. I found out about the product from an article that said Trek was gonna distribute it.

Or use Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Rocket-Shower-Fin ... 232&sr=8-1

Or use the Google.

Stuff works for what I need it to do.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking