MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Home cookin' in Fatlanta?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Home cookin' in Fatlanta?

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:31 pm

There's some hullabaloo over potentially discriminate in-game replay at the Georgia Dome. Apparently, the in-arena video director only shows replays on the big screen if he's/she's deemed them beneficial to the Falcons. In addition, there's an unusually long delay after the previous play until the assistant coaches in the booth get to see the replay. This time is crucial in order to determine whether a challenge should be issued, a decision which needs to made quickly before the next play is snapped.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/22477/return-to-georgia-dirty-replay-laundry

This seems like blatant cheating to me. Replays for in-booth coaches should be available almost instantaneously after the play has occurred. A delay longer than a few seconds is highly suspect. Also, has the NFL checked to see whether or not the assistant coaches for each respective team receive the video replays at the same exact time? Or is there a longer delay for the opposing team's coaching staff? I implore the NFL to scrutinize this before & during this weekend's playoff games.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Home cookin' in Fatlanta?

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:30 pm

Yeah, they coulda used some advantage.

Wait a minute... Brett who?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:24 am

Mmm, Falcon. Tastes like chicken.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:43 pm

What's almost scary about that is the Packers will almost certainly be better next year. Yes, Driver and Woodson are getting a little long in the tooth, but the rest of the team is still pretty young; if Jermichael Finley and Ryan Grant come back any where near their previous capacity the offense will see a significant upgrade even without bringing in any new personnel.

That's a thought that should keep some NFL defensive coordinators up at night.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:05 pm

The Packers will be at least good for the next few years most likely, and hopefully even great for a couple.

Still, realistically, given the parity in the league I'd forbear counting Super Bowl trophies until they are actually in the case. Another concussion or two to Aaron Rodgers just for one example of what could go wrong....I hope by saying it makes it not happen.....but NFL life at the top is fragile.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:38 pm

gargantua wrote:The Packers will be at least good for the next few years most likely, and hopefully even great for a couple.
Still, realistically, given the parity in the league I'd forbear counting Super Bowl trophies until they are actually in the case. Another concussion or two to Aaron Rodgers just for one example of what could go wrong....I hope by saying it makes it not happen.....but NFL life at the top is fragile.

RBs are fragile, too, but other than that the Packers do look loaded for the next few seasons.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:28 am

I believe the average playing-life-span of an NFL player is in the range of 2 to 4 years. "Fragile" may be putting it lightly.
c02
Forum Addict

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking