MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, January 29, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Packers vs. Steelers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Who wins?

Packers
92%
Steelers
8%

Total votes : 25

Packers vs. Steelers

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:47 pm

It'd be lovely to be able to predict the outcome of Sunday's game against the Steelers but there are too many variables and close comparisons to do so with accuracy. I can say I have a feeling we are going to win but everything depends on how their game plans hold up against the reality on the field. I think we have the better team, and better coaches. When our coach is a play-caller and their coach is a mannequin, I call that an advantage.

On display: the "Zone Blitz", a hybrid formation developed via the collaboration of Dom Capers and Dick LaBeau - our defensive coordinator, and theirs. Theoretically each team displays great coverage and great blitz capability with a lot of active fakes and switches going on in both defenses. Ranking, we are placed slightly behind the Steelers in statistical categories (like points allowed) - not a coincidence. My personal observation is that we had a large number of starters injured for a large number of games during the regular season (Clifton wore a "mitt" on his right hand during the first Falcons game); based on that observation my opinion is that our defense is slightly better when all the starters play, and I think Dom Capers has a competence edge over LaBeau (case in point the Patriots nearly fell to our 2nd string quarterback - we gave up 31 points, Steelers gave up 39, but the Patriots only won because of a fluke of nature kick return by an offensive lineman - minus that the Pats scored only 24 regular points against our defense).

The Steelers are (gloriously) a wild team - other than the visible influence of LaBeau, their coaching is haphazard and wayward; where the coaching falls (frequently) short their physical talent and team familiarity kick in... very similar to the Eagles in this respect.

I see this Superbowl as a contest between a team that is playing the purest football in the league (Packers) verses a fundamentally similar team (Steelers) that's playing the most physical game in the league. It seems inevitable that we're going to have to watch Rodgers being roughed up a bit/lot more often than we'd like.

Packers: Our coach is a play caller. Dom Capers edges LaBeau. Our team is more balanced (except special teams). Williams, Woodson and Shields are going to create serious algebra problems for "Brawling Ben" to figure out while Mathews finally has a more balanced line to draw coverage as he, Hawk and Raji go after their quarterback against a Steelers line with a few holes in it. Ben will want to rely on the big pass and Williams and Shields are fast enough to curb it. Our biggest worry: Steelers running game - we will find out early how much of a problem it will be.

Offensively we will have every chance to win this game because we will be playing in the same conditions we played in Atlanta - reliable turf, no wind, controlled climate. We will be playing a better defense, a more physical defense, but we have every opportunity to do to them what the Patriots did to the Steelers earlier in the season. Last time we played the Steelers it was the only 37-36 score ever recorded in NFL history. Both teams have improved since that game, but we have improved a lot more than they have.

That said, every game is different, and every little thing that happens affects the way we call the game. Will the big stage of the Superbowl play a part or will this play like a normal game? If it was a normal game I'd call it 28-20 Packers. Then again if the Packers get an early lead McCarthy is prone to slow things down and try to shut down the game. But with the Steelers highly physical (and sometimes dirty) defense I won't disallow the possibility of a disaster either.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Packers vs. Steelers

Postby persia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Somebody will win, somebody will lose, the players and owners will go home millionaires as usual. Life will go on as before. The Universe will not notice.
persia
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Bludgeon wrote: I think Dom Capers has a competence edge over LaBeau (case in point the Patriots nearly fell to our 2nd string quarterback - we gave up 31 points, Steelers gave up 39, but the Patriots only won because of a fluke of nature kick return by an offensive lineman - minus that the Pats scored only 24 regular points against our defense).

You can't compare results like this to make a case for who has a "competence edge." Otherwise, wouldn't the fact that Pittsburgh held Atlanta to 9 points, while the Falcons scored 20+ in both games against the Packers count for something?

And, even though I think and hope the Packers will win, I think you're greatly underestimating the talent of Pittsburgh head coach Omar Epps.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:20 pm

O.J. wrote:
Bludgeon wrote: I think Dom Capers has a competence edge over LaBeau (case in point the Patriots nearly fell to our 2nd string quarterback - we gave up 31 points, Steelers gave up 39, but the Patriots only won because of a fluke of nature kick return by an offensive lineman - minus that the Pats scored only 24 regular points against our defense).

You can't compare results like this to make a case for who has a "competence edge." Otherwise, wouldn't the fact that Pittsburgh held Atlanta to 9 points, while the Falcons scored 20+ in both games against the Packers count for something?

And, even though I think and hope the Packers will win, I think you're greatly underestimating the talent of Pittsburgh head coach Omar Epps.

We've never trailed by more than 7 points all season, injuries galore. That's the sign of a defensive coordinator who's in full control of his defense. We have not had a big loss all season even with all the injuries and the 1.5 games without a quarterback. Steelers can't say that. LaBeau is great, don't get me wrong, just saying Capers edges him in competence and consistency. I hope whoever they have under Capers learns as much as possible before he jets off somewhere else in a few years.

Tomlin, if his players weren't so talented, I don't think he'd be a head coach for long. Edit: wow he does look like Epps.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm trying to think of something to do on Sunday that will maximize that fact that 99% of Wisconsin will be sitting on their couches.

The problem (a good one) is that nothing in Madison is really ever that crowded. Maybe I'll ride my bike down the middle of John Nolan Dr. Or go snow-shoeing alone in the Arboretum. Perhaps I'll go the pool and swim laps alone for once. If the Children's Museum is open I'll let the kids run wild.

I'm more excited to see what Madison outside of the game will be like on Sunday than I am excited to see the game.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:48 pm

You do know you could have just as easily not posted at all on the Packers vs. Steelers thread. But now that you did we all know how much better you are than all of us pigskin lovin' morons. BTW not all of us sit on our couches for games. Some of us prefer to stand in crowded bars, beer in hand, screaming expletives.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:54 pm

fisticuffs wrote:But now that you did we all know how much better you are than all of us pigskin lovin' morons.

Whoa...someone is a bit defensive. My apathy with regard to football translates into 'morons'? Dude, have a drink, eat some cheese and relax.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:09 pm

persia wrote:The Universe will not notice.

Yet you did, otherwise you wouldn't have posted.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Whoa...someone is a bit defensive. My apathy with regard to football translates into 'morons'? Dude, have a drink, eat some cheese and relax.

I didn't think apathy was something people actively tried to share with others. If you were truly apathetic to football why even post about it? You're proud of your apathy and wanted us all to see it. That's not apathy, it's snobbery.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:32 pm

fisticuffs wrote:That's not apathy, it's snobbery.

I'm a snob because I don't like football and said as much?

Football is boring, moronic and appeals to the lowest common denominator in our society. There it is. Snob? No more than an Atheist. And god how you love them in Madison...

Its also hilarious how the govt cracked down on drugs in baseball 'for the good of our kids' but won't touch football. What gives?
Last edited by Crockett on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Football is boring, moronic and appeals to the lowest common denominator in our society.

Check and mate.

Packers 31 Steelers 20. A-Rodge lights them up from the start. Big Ben gets date raped by a blond with long luxurious hair.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:39 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Big Ben gets date raped by a blond with long luxurious hair.

Speaking of rape, isn't Sunday one of the most violent days for women?

Another great attribute that gets ignored...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Crockett, do feel the same way about sports in general, or just football?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:45 pm

jman111 wrote:Crockett, do feel the same way about sports in general, or just football?

Mostly NFL. Kids look up to these morons and ruin their bodies and brains trying to emulate them. Husbands beat their wives after getting 'fired up' watching grown men in tights beat each other. People overeat and drink too much while spending inordinate amounts of time on their couches watching advertising to get them to buy more TVs and to eat more junk food.

Throw rampant steroid use into the mix along with wasted tax dollars and you have the current state of the NFL and its followers.

Its the national religion of the US and its tenants are not ones to which I subscribe. Look at the modern-day 'cathedrals' in cities, you'll find stadium houses of worship.

If that makes me a 'snob' then so be it.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:51 pm

So it's not really football, per se, that you have the problem with, but the NFL "machine" and it's side-effects (for lack of a better term).

Put in that perspective, I'm a bit more accepting of your stance.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking