MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Your 2011 Milwaukee Brewers!

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Your 2011 Milwaukee Brewers!

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:28 pm

My bold prediction is this year will be better than last year. Going out on a limb I know. The pitching staff is much improved and the bats should still be lively. Fielder's future depends on the first have record. Barring a complete collapse I think the Crew will be in position to hold onto him until the end of the year. Not that that's necessarily the best move. I'd almost rather get something for him than let him walk even if the team is in the hunt.

When it's all said and done though here's my bold NL Central
prediction:

Brewers - League Champs!
Reds - NL Wild Card
Cardinals (Wainright might be done, Puljous could be a distraction)
Astros
Cubs
Pirates
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Your 2011 Milwaukee Brewers!

Postby O.J. » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:08 pm

The Cubs will finish ahead of the Astros, but I agree with the rest of your standings. Wainwright is just a brutal, brutal loss for the Cardinals, who also have to deal with the possibility of Poo Holes landing on the north side of Chicago. Ouch.

I don't think the Brewers will end up dealing Fielder, as I doubt they'll get an offer better than the draft pick compensation they'll receive after he walks in free agency. It will be interesting to see if St. Louis goes after him if Pujols decides to flee.

The Brewers should have an excellent rotation, solid bullpen, and some offensive pop. I think their only major weaknesses are on defense, a lack of a true leadoff hitter, and a couple of .300 OBP hitters in the lineup. For those of you who hated Gregg Zaun, Yuniesky Betancourt is going to make him look like Johnny Bench(different positions, yes, but YB might be the worst player in MLB). In my mind, accepting him in the Greinke deal was as big of a loss as trading Cain and Escobar. That's still a great trade, though, especially if they can extend Greinke's contract.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:38 am

I'm optimistic about the Cubs this year, as I am this time every year, so I fully expect them to win the division. With that out of the way, I really don't know how it'll all shake out given the immense upgrade to the starting rotation in Milwaukee and my feeling that the Cards fall apart in the wake of Wainwright/Pujols. The Brewers are certainly in a "Win Now" mindset and if they start out hot they'll be battling the Reds all the way. However if things don't come together right away, if the offense produces inconsistently or the defense loses close games on a regular basis, I can see the pressure start to fracture the team a bit. I'm pretty confident that no team will be running away with the Central this year and I don't expect there to be much of a gap between first and fourth in the standings.

No matter what I'm getting excited for this season. It's got the makings to be a great one.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 pm

wallrock wrote: The Brewers are certainly in a "Win Now" mindset

For the life of me, I can't understand why so many pundits think the Brewers are all-in this season. Part of this is predicated on extending Greinke and Marcum, but consider that:

1)Braun, Weeks, Hart and Gallardo are all signed through at least 2013.
2)Mcgehee doesn't even become arbitration eligible until 2012.
3)I'm assuming this will be Fielder's and Hawkins' last year; the Brewers will have $20 million in payroll freed up, plus get draft pick compensation for Fielder.

For years, Melvin did a terrible job of constructing the Brewers; this offseason, he corrected his mistake by creating a formidable rotation. They could use part of the Fielder/Hawkins savings on extending the contracts of Greinke/Marcum, and use the rest on a bat to help compensate for Fielder. Unless both of the recently acquired pitchers leave after 2012, the Brewers should be set for the next half-decade or so, without having to make any major changes.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Melvin also managed to not blow a bunch of money on worthless relief pitchers this year -- provided, of course, that Saito doesn't fall apart. Even if he does, at least it's only one expensive reliever rather than several craptastic wastes of money. I think the bullpen fixing itself with the scrap heap options and young guys probably reminded him that overpaying and giving multi-year contracts to so-so veteran relievers is usually a bad idea.

my picks, first to last:
Brewers
Cards
Reds (take a backwards step when youngsters have sophomore slumps)
Pirates meander along but finally finish above .500
Astros
sCrubs finally melt down completely

As much as I'd like to count the Cardinals out, they always manage to come up with some guys who keep them in it. And the idea of Pujols hitting in a contract year is immensely disturbing. That being said, I don't think he or Fielder are going to get anywhere near the money they think - the major spenders already all have long-term committments to expensive first basemen.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cainabel » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:17 pm

I also would not count the Cardinals out! They always find a way to stay competitive. That is why they are in the top 5 respected MLB franchises since what the 40's? They have won in the past and they will win in the present and future with/without Pujols. That topic, don't you think it is kinda worrying Prince that AL is not getting his money? Might be second-hand distraction for the Brewers. Nonetheless:

Brewers
Cardinals
Cubs
Reds
Astros
Pirates (always the Pirates)
cainabel

Postby scratch » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:52 am

Pointless rumor regarding the Cardinals' loss of Wainwright, courtesy of Chicago sports talk radio:

The White Sox may try to trade Mark Buehrle to the Cardinals. Buerhle's from the St. Louis area and makes meatball Sox fans squirm at least once a year by mentioning that he'd like to play for his favorite team, the Cardinals. Given Buerhle's declining performance the last couple of years, this could be a net loss for the Cardinals, especially if they give up anyone of value for it.

And as to the Reds, watch their pitching staff. Dusty has a habit of overusing young pitchers. They could meltdown early and often.

Also, if the Cubs are going to be players in the Pujols acquisition festivities, they'll need an infusion of money. The Ricketts family holdings have suffered greatly in the crappy economy. There were lots of empty seats in Wrigley toward the end of last year. No shows rather than unsold seats, but this year's Cubs Convention didn't sell out for the first time in memory, so the money machine that Wrigley has been may also be in decline.

All-in-all, I think this year is a great opportunity for an exciting Brewers team.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:36 am

scratch wrote:Also, if the Cubs are going to be players in the Pujols acquisition festivities, they'll need an infusion of money.

Fukodome's and Pena's combined $24.5M are off the books after this year, and the Cubs don't have that much committed to payroll after 2012. Money shouldn't be that much of an issue.

By the way, this site rules. Just click the link for future payroll obligations, and you can become an armchair GM.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/0 ... 77294.html
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:51 pm

The injury bug bites the Cardinals, again.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/124198443.html
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:05 pm

I think the "easy-as-shit-interleague-schedule" might be the Cardinal's cure.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:48 am

It's official. I now hate the Cardinals more than I hate the Cubs.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:53 am

LaSucka should indeed be ashamed for last night's shenanigans.

The even more unfortunate part is that the Brewers also should have won that game easily, and didn't capitalize on it. 3-run home run by the opposing pitcher? Loading them up with nobody out and not scoring? Letting Holliday steal 2nd in the 11th? And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

This team's got the talent to go all the way, but they still have the fundamentals of the 1984 Brewers. I hope they come back today and crush the Cardinals and prove me wrong.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:02 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:22 pm

minicat wrote:LaSucka should indeed be ashamed for last night's shenanigans.

As should the home plate umpire for tolerating that crap.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:19 pm

well, the home plate ump was part of the problem. He was inconsistent and awful. Molina freaked out for a reason.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking