MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Can someone explain this new developing stupidity?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Can someone explain this new developing stupidity?

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:50 pm

BrianV66 wrote:
But if you're not a daily commuter maybe that's not you. Sure would be nice to have a paintball gun sometimes, though.

My typical lake loop (in good weather...) is between 5:15 and 6:15 am weekdays, almost never see a bus...

Then you're not one of the happily oblivious riders ignoring the city bus two feet behind them in second gear, as they lazily make their way down the street in the middle of rush hour.

Bless their addled little heads.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri May 13, 2011 11:54 am

Riding back from work yesterday I approached the driveway to Machinery Row, heading eastward along the bike path. Some dude was pulled up most of the way across the bike path, and as is my usual practice I made sure that I made eye contact with the guy before riding in front of him. I do this out of what I feel to be a reasonable desire not to get squished.

As I rode in front of him he kept his eye contact with me, which seemed a little odd but whatever. I kept riding.

Next thing I know, I hear a vehicle roar up beside me. I look over and it's this guy; he screams out of his window at me, "There's a yield sign there, dickhead!!!"

Except there isn't.

There is a yield sign for westbound bike path traffic at that intersection, since there's a blind corner for bikes heading that way. But eastbound there's not; you can see any bikes coming down the path all the way to the convention center, and have absolutely no excuse to impede the bike path to through traffic. If you're coming out of the driveway, you're behind a stop sign and the bikes are not; them's just the facts.

So - having already established himself as a law-breaking asshole, he decided that the best course of action was to double-down by being either a liar or a moron. Granted these last two characteristics aren't mutually exclusive.

So - Machinery Row dude, if you're reading this:

Stop being such a witless chump.

Love,

-M-
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri May 13, 2011 2:08 pm

Dude, how funny that this thread just resurfaced.

Yesterday I was riding the eastbound bikelane on Dayton past the SERF and ate some pavement.

Two cars in front of me, the first car starts slowing down and is making his way into the turn-lane to hang a left on Lake. The car following him decides not to wait until the guy in front of him was completely in the turn lane and swerves around to the right.....which left me...well, screwed.

It was a perfect storm on my end, I stood up in the saddle thinking I might be able to thread the needle between the car and the curb. So I kept peddaling, and low and behold I my chain (which I had just looked at before leaving and through: "man, I need to adjust that...its getting a little loose) popped off my crank. Lost my footing, almost nutted the crossbar, and my front wheel ate curb.

A poorly executed tuck'n'roll on to the sidewalk followed and I ended up with this:

Small price to pay I suppose, just have to chalk it up as the first slam of the season. Dickhole car didn't see me and didn't stop. heh, but a nice mom(ish) lady who was walking on the sidewalk asked if I was okay, then congratulated me on wearing a helmet. Couldn't help but laugh and told her my mom would said the same thing.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri May 13, 2011 2:59 pm

swoon_queen wrote:However, Jeni Street is notoriously narrow (barely fitting 2 normal cars depending on how big the parked vehicles are on either side)...

Is it really? We lived on the 800 block of Jenifer for 4 years and that never struck me. Probably feels different living there than driving there, though we also drove it often.

rabble, I don't know if you were driving that route in the mid to late 90s, but if so, you disrupted a lot of my phone calls, conversations, and TV shows. Our 2nd-floor living room had windows on three sides, and with the windows open the bus noise was deafening. That's not a complaint, just a little slice of Jeni St life.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 13, 2011 3:14 pm

Ducatista wrote:rabble, I don't know if you were driving that route in the mid to late 90s, but if so, you disrupted a lot of my phone calls, conversations, and TV shows. Our 2nd-floor living room had windows on three sides, and with the windows open the bus noise was deafening. That's not a complaint, just a little slice of Jeni St life.

I'm a rider, not a driver but I've only been riding that route since 2000.

That's why I'd like to have a paintball gun. If I was the driver I'd have to open the door as I drove by and I wouldn't have time to get a good shot off. As a passenger I could take my time getting a bead on the target.

In fact if Metro handed those things out, I bet there wouldn't be any bikes on Jenny St at all and your bus noise wouldn't be quite as bad. Unless you lived at a bus stop or a stop sign.

We live near a bus stop ourselves. And Schoep's. And there's a feral pack of kids down the street. And then there's that airport traffic. Neighborhood noises. :-)
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri May 13, 2011 4:48 pm

rabble wrote:That's why I'd like to have a paintball gun. If I was the driver I'd have to open the door as I drove by and I wouldn't have time to get a good shot off. As a passenger I could take my time getting a bead on the target.

Howabout strapped to the frontal bike rack, or boosted out of the overhead hatch?

rabble wrote:We live near a bus stop ourselves. And Schoep's. And there's a feral pack of kids down the street.

If any of them have a chainmail glove and a boomerang, get back inside the bus.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking