MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bike commuting up in Madison

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Bike commuting up in Madison

Postby Stubby » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Madison is now on par with Portland Oregon for commuting at over 6% as of 2010. That puts us among the top bike commuting cities in the country and is up 20% over 2009.

http://bfw.org/2011/09/23/bicycle-commu ... in-cities/

As the bicycle infrastructure continues to improve I would expect this number to continue to go up. To bad some major projects have been delayed as in the Cannoball bike path on the south side and the forever delayed Sherman Ave flyer on the north side.

Still, its good news for everyone.
Stubby

Re: Bike commuting up in Madison

Postby JohnWS » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Amen. I really like the % trips by bike metric. It's measurable, and give us something to shoot for. Look out Netherlands! (I think they are like at 46% or something :) )
JohnWS

Postby massimo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:30 pm

I refuse to concede that there any societal benefits to bicycling as long as there exist bicyclists who brazenly thumb their noses at the rules of the road.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:56 pm

massimo wrote:I refuse to concede that there any societal benefits to bicycling as long as there exist bicyclists who brazenly thumb their noses at the rules of the road.
What do you say about motorists who brazenly thumb their noses at the rules of the road?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Your question is absurd. Roads are built for motorized vehicles.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:31 pm

I would counter that roads are built for people. Whether those people drive cars, ride bikes, ride burros, walk or rollerskate has no bearing on the fundamental purpose of roads.

If you want to qualify your statement with something like: "roads built in the 20th and 21st centuries were largely built with car traffic in mind", this would make more sense, but this statement is tantamount to identifying the problem we're trying to solve by encouraging more people to ride bikes.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:35 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:"roads built in the 20th and 21st centuries were largely built with car traffic in mind"

That's what I said.

(Dammit, AB, DNFTT!)
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:03 pm

Heh. Point taken. Conversely, please do not be a troll.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:30 pm

I live on the far north side. Count me as another person who would love to commute to work downtown if they finally built the Sherman Flyer. I tried one summer to do it without a dedicated path, but it put another load of stress in my day equal to a day of work, so I gave up. I am not talking about the physical exertion, I like exercise, and my job doesn't require me to maintain appearance like a realtor. The stress came in trying to navigate the route. It felt like I was making a border run, twice daily.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stubby » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:22 am

I gave up trying to get to the North side on a bike a long time ago. I'm not surprised to hear things haven't improved. The North side, along with areas like Fish Hatchery Road on the south side among other areas of the city are not good biking areas.

Ruskin Ave is a bike boulevard that the city has recently begun working on. I don't know how far along it is. Unfortunately from what I have heard it follows the cities approach to the other boulevards with no real traffic calming and to many stop signs. They just can't quite get it right. It is still to compromised and favors motor vehicle traffic to much.

This is where the city stands on the Sherman Flyer path
http://www.cityofmadison.com/bikeMadiso ... t.cfm?id=8
It may be a long time before this one happens.
Stubby

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:40 am

JohnWS wrote:Look out Netherlands! (I think they are like at 46% or something :) )

May as well aim high!

I spent the last couple summers in the Benelux, and can attest to their amazing bike infrastructure, especially in Holland. (Though sharing a bike lane with motorized scooters is a little odd the first few times you get buzzed.)

The cycling culture in NL runs much deeper than "people ride bikes everywhere." Deeper than our car culture, even. Speaking of which, cars there have absolute respect for cyclists. I've heard it put this way: there are no Dutch drivers, only Dutch cyclists behind the wheel of a car. Couple other differences from biking here: cyclists obey traffic laws, and nobody wears a helmet.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:44 am

I need shower facilities at work to go up before I can commute via bike.

What do other people do? I sweat like a pig so I need the (non-existent) shower facilities.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:50 am

bdog wrote:I need shower facilities at work to go up before I can commute via bike.

What do other people do? I sweat like a pig so I need the (non-existent) shower facilities.

Set up a meeting with your facilities person for next monday morning.
(don't shower all weekend )

Bike in. In your meeting, just say, "What would it take to get a shower put in here?"

To answer your question, my office has a shower. Much appreciated.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:30 am

bdog wrote:What do other people do? I sweat like a pig so I need the (non-existent) shower facilities.

People underestimate the power of <insert derogatory term for any different race here> showers. Bring a change of clothes, cologne, a towel and some deodorant and hit the bathroom sink. You'll dry off just fine.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:37 am

bdog wrote:I need shower facilities at work to go up before I can commute via bike.

I sweat a lot too.

So I wear my funny bike clothes and change at work. A towel and this stuff:

http://10nine8.net/

works well for me.

I couldn't sit all day in the clothes I ride in. I've tried. Very gross.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking