MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bike commuting up in Madison

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Bike commuting up in Madison

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:56 am

Crockett wrote:People underestimate the power of <insert derogatory term for any different race here> showers.

Yikes, where did you grow up? I've never heard a racist term for whore bath.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Crockett wrote:People underestimate the power of <insert derogatory term for any different race here> showers.

Somewhere outside of Madison where there actually ARE different races...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:25 pm

dave esmond wrote:So I wear my funny bike clothes and change at work. A towel and this stuff:

http://10nine8.net/

works well for me.

I couldn't sit all day in the clothes I ride in. I've tried. Very gross.

Rocket shower huh? Looks promising, thanks.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Ducatista wrote:

This is the closest I could come up with.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Ducatista wrote:

This is the closest I could come up with.

My father always called this a "G.I. Shower" and ordered me to take more than a few of them when I was a teenager.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:25 pm

Crockett wrote:
Ducatista wrote:

Somewhere outside of Madison where there actually ARE different races...

I didn't set foot in Wisconsin till I was 18 and didn't hit Madison for another two years. It seems I had a much more sheltered childhood than I had previously thought.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Crockett wrote:Somewhere outside of Madison where there actually ARE different races...

I like a playground rejoinder as much as the next guy, but that's just dumb.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:01 pm

Out at sea in the Navy, fresh water is at a premium. We took "Navy showers". Turn the water on just to get wet. Turn if off and soap up.* Then rinse off. Takes about two or three minutes. Those who keep the water running and took their good natured time were said to be taking a "Hollywood shower." That was frowned upon.

*Ned inserts snide homophobic comment here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Maybe I don't sweat a lot. I just go into work early, and ride pretty slow.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:19 am

Same here. Why not save the workout aspect of the trip for the ride home?

I wonder what all the Dutch people do. They can't take another shower every time they arrive someplace.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:43 am

snoqueen wrote:Same here. Why not save the workout aspect of the trip for the ride home?

I still sweat a lot. I'm not riding any faster then others on the path or trying to have a workout. Slowing down doesn't do a thing for me. Heck I'm sweating right now sitting here just from walking to the building.

I wonder what all the Dutch people do. They can't take another shower every time they arrive someplace.

Some of 'em still gotta be wet, uncomfortable and kinda stinky I'm guessing. Unless Dutch people sweat different.

Some can ride for miles and not break a sweat. Some are like me and sweat all the time. People who don't sweat enough to worry about it I envy. If that's not you, then there's some easyish ways to deal with it.

Sorry for the sorta rant. "Just slow down" always comes up. It doesn't work for everyone. I'm gonna sweat and frankly I've got too far to ride to go really slow. I'm not out sightseeing either. I'm trying to get to and from work.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:21 am

My old commute was about 5 miles in 25 minutes on my way in. In the armpit of Summer I was a bag of sweat by the time I got to work even if I took the easy route.

I wore a pair of baggy bike shorts and some sort of department store knockoff Under Armour t-shirts. Keeping deodorant and a comb in the desk at work was all I really needed to do (and I'm kind of a fat bastard these days). The sweat dries and most people didn't even know I rode my bike in every day.

Starting out was the hard part. I remember a pretty painful two weeks of monkey butt when I first started riding in and it took me a while to get used to being a little moist once I made it to work. But like anything, you settle into a routine and habit takes over. Pretty soon I was to the point where I didn't even remember the ride in by the time I got to work.

Now I'm fucking spoiled. I'm two miles away and it only takes me 10 minutes door to door from home to work. Rain still sucks though. I don't really like fenders, but I'm on the verge of breaking down and getting a pair so I don't have to deal with the wet ass just because we got a little drizzle the night before.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby JohnWS » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:33 pm

You folks see this? Maybe showers!
(via http://www.facebook.com/CityofMadison )

Bicycle Center at Judge Doyle Square Survey

www.surveymonkey.com/s/8LXYMM8
JohnWS

Postby Ducatista » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:49 am

snoqueen wrote:I wonder what all the Dutch people do. They can't take another shower every time they arrive someplace.

They don't. It's commonplace to see Dutch commuters in full office dress. Suits, skirts, heels, you name it. They ride at a more relaxed pace than Madison commuters. Which isn't to say they're slow—long legs and daily riding since childhood means their relaxed pace is our decent clip. And they never wear helmets, which also helps keep things cool.

Not only is the pace more relaxed, the experience is more relaxed. Dedicated bike lanes separated from the roadway, bike-aware and bike-friendly drivers, everybody (cars, bikes, peds) adhering to their traffic signals.

Still, in summer, even a helmetless relaxed pace can get a little warm. Probably one of the reasons the Dutch are so enthusiastic about electric bikes. (They're incredibly fun to ride—the cycling equivalent of those moving sidewalks in airports that make your normal gait feel like a superhero stride.)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:08 pm

dave esmond wrote:Sorry for the sorta rant. "Just slow down" always comes up. It doesn't work for everyone.

Indeed, nothing works for everyone. If one thing is true about bike commuting, it's that each cyclist's commute is a unique puzzle.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking