MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Camp Randall scoreboard hacked

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Camp Randall scoreboard hacked

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:20 am

Anyone else in attendance at yesterday's UW - Indiana football game notice that the scoreboard was hacked? When the game statistics were up, instead of the normal numbers for rushing, passing and total yards for Wisconsin, SHT, DAM and AMN appeared. The control room would put that up and then immediately take it down. This happened throughout the first half and well into the second, until it was finally straightened out. Ms Vilas even took a photo of the hacked board with her cell phone.

On a somewhat related note, the ES-FU cheer did continue (only once for a short time), so two random student ticket holders won't get free bowl game tickets.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Camp Randall scoreboard hacked

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:41 pm

I didn't see the scoreboard incident, but I did hear the infamous chant two distinct times (for the usual duration).
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:15 pm

I noticed that the stats screen was messed up, but didn't look at it closely enough to see the messages.

Was sitting only a couple sections over. They did actually start "tastes great / less filling" for a little bit.

ES-FU is pretty played out. They should take lessons from some of the high school student sections that actually do chants related to the game action. All it takes is someone clever in the front row with a whiteboard.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:08 pm

I still have yet to find a media report about the scoreboard hacking. Everyone around me at the game saw it and commented on it. I sit in the upper deck and the press box would have full view of the hack, so someone up there must have seen it. Maybe they just thought it wasn't worth reporting.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:36 pm

I'm just disappointed those responsible couldn't come up with something more creative for nine characters in a row.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Yeah, I would've gone with
WTF
FTW
LOL
or something.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Igor wrote:ES-FU is pretty played out.

Yes it is, but drawing public attention to it probably just prolongs the whole thing. Some fan things like this just persist without any reason, like Packer fans enjoying the Bears still suck song when the Green & Gold are playing teams other than the Bears, or NBA fans chanting Beat LA when the Lakers (or for that matter the Clippers) aren't invovled in the game at hand.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:03 pm

scratch wrote:

Yes it is, but drawing public attention to it probably just prolongs the whole thing.

Oh, I totally agree in that regard. The only hope (and that is no better than a coin flip) is if they eventually realize how dumb it is.

I remember decades ago when Brad Sellers was shooting free throws for the Buckeyes at the Fieldhouse. When the place went quiet, the band yelled "Hey Sellers - you're losing. Why don't you switch teams again?" Not high humor or anything, but at least related to what is going on at the time.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:01 am

Igor wrote:
scratch wrote:

Yes it is, but drawing public attention to it probably just prolongs the whole thing.

Oh, I totally agree in that regard. The only hope (and that is no better than a coin flip) is if they eventually realize how dumb it is.

Yeah, right; we're talking drunk students here. How many years has it continued to this point?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:45 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Igor wrote:
scratch wrote:Yes it is, but drawing public attention to it probably just prolongs the whole thing.

Yeah, right; we're talking drunk students here. How many years has it continued to this point?

The chant started before current undergrads were even born. I don't think it will naturally end any time soon.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking