MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Big Ten Network without cable

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Big Ten Network without cable

Postby Crockett » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:06 am

We'd like to cancel cable. The only thing that keeps us from canceling is Badger basketball on the Big Ten Network.

I know, I know, we could support the local economy by heading to a bar to watch it, but in our case that usually just isn't possible. Also, we like to watch it on our time terms.

So, is there anywhere online (legal or otherwise) where you can watch Badger games? Its sad that the Big Ten Network sold out to cable companies. I'm willing to pay for it but I'm not willing to pay for the other 100+ channels of garbage that go with it.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Big Ten Network without cable

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:24 am

Its sad that the Big Ten Network sold out to cable companies.

How do you figure? Did you expect them to offer it over the air?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:31 am

fisticuffs wrote:

No kiddin'! What exactly would be the business model that would allow the BTN to broadcast over the air, Crockett? Individual UHF channels in every town in every state in which BTN is in demand? You're often posting as the sane business like voice of reality, so how would this work?

Or are you just looking for tips on pirating the signal?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:03 am

fisticuffs wrote:

Ummm...yeah. Just like many other networks.

Or barring OTA, how about offering a streaming package online?

Or barring a streaming package, how about cable channels a la cart?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:03 am

scratch wrote:Or are you just looking for tips on pirating the signal?

I'd pay to stream it online. But since they made a deal with the devil (cable), yes, I'll take tips on pirating the signal.

Why should I pay for the Hallmark Channel and BET to get a handful of basketball games?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:06 am

Ummm...yeah. Just like many other networks.

You're clearly clueless on the infrastructure that would require.
Or barring OTA, how about offering a streaming package online?

Now THAT they could do. Maybe they will. Most networks are moving into that as an option.

Or barring a streaming package, how about cable channels a la cart?

Surprisingly they lack they leverage to force cable providers to this. No wait. That's not at all surprising.

But since they made a deal with the devil (cable)

They made a deal to get their network into peoples homes where people could watch it. Without a deal with cable networks there wouldn't be a Big ten network. Could you please list some high integrity networks who have chosen the high road and kept their programming off the devils services?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:10 am

You can stream big ten events for $15 per month
http://video.btn.com/allaccess/

Or just Badgers for $10 per month
http://www.uwbadgers.com/allaccess/

They might just make available games that AREN'T on BTN TV, though, not sure. I'm interested in college wrestling, lots of the matches are there.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:25 am

fisticuffs wrote:They made a deal to get their network into peoples homes where people could watch it. Without a deal with cable networks there wouldn't be a Big ten network.

I've read that their pricing is insane. Like $1.10 per subscriber vs pennies per subscriber for other cable channels (think Hallmark).

So while I understand the economics of what you're saying I do believe they make PLENTY of money by colluding with their cable brethren to squash streaming.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:31 am

Like $1.10 per subscriber vs pennies per subscriber for other cable channels (think Hallmark).

And why do you think Big Ten Network commands a higher fee than Hallmark?
So while I understand the economics of what you're saying I do believe they make PLENTY of money by colluding with their cable brethren to squash streaming.

Seems they do offer streaming.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:34 am

fisticuffs wrote:Seems they do offer streaming.

For games not on BTN. They offer streaming for everything outside the US and Canada.

As for your comment on pricing, yes, I understand they demand more. My point is that their deal with the cable networks to squash streaming stateside has more to do with collusion to inflate profits than demand.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:39 am

My point is that their deal with the cable networks to squash streaming stateside has more to do with collusion to inflate profits than demand.

Yeah probably. It probably helps them keep the price of their product up by not giving it away. I fail to see how this is evil or different than any other product. I fail to see what is evil about cable TV. It is overpriced and there are few options for it. Their business models are under attack by streaming internet and they are doing what they can to stem that tied (see net neutrality) but it's completely optional on your part and nothing to throw a shit fit over. Don't like cable companies? don't subscribe. If that means you don't get BTN that is your choice.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:47 am

OK, now that we've agreed that the whole business is bullshit and screws customers, is there a way I can stream it?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:54 am

OK, now that we've agreed that the whole business is bullshit and screws customers,

It doesn't screw me. I pay their prices (complain every year when my special deal runs out) and enjoy the product they provide me.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:59 am

fisticuffs wrote:
OK, now that we've agreed that the whole business is bullshit and screws customers,

It doesn't screw me. I pay their prices (complain every year when my special deal runs out) and enjoy the product they provide me.

You're a strange bird Fisti. You love your ex-burb, your commute, highway funding and large businesses that collude to screw consumers. You're hard to figure out.

I think you just like to argue and you're comfortable slinging arrows as long as no one challenges anything you do or anything that makes you comfortable in your white picket fence life.

I pay cable. I own a car. I use roads. I don't like high priced gas. But I can see beyond my personal needs/wants/desires for the greater good.

Anyway, find that streaming for me yet?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:46 am

Crockett wrote:Why should I pay for the Hallmark Channel and BET to get a handful of basketball games?

Now that I agree with, but for me the complaint would be forcing me to pay for Fox News and the fascinating collection of "Christian" outlets. Where's my damn RastaVision channel?*

other than in my imagination, that is
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking