MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
shriners
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Big Ten Network without cable

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Big Ten Network without cable

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:47 am

Can somebody tell me how to steal food from restaurants? I'm sick of paying for my lunch and think it's totally justifiable to demand that I start getting it for free. I heard somewhere that ground beef costs restaurants less than $2/lb., so why do they make me pay $5 for a hamburger? RIPOFF!

Legal or illegal recommendations welcome.

While we're at it, anybody know how I can get into movies for free? I mean, I like seeing big stars like George Clooney and Justin Timberlake in movies, but why do I have to pay for all the bit players and extras? If I could just pay to see the stars, I would. But since I can't, tell me how I can see movies for free.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:06 pm

jjoyce wrote:Can somebody tell me how to steal food from restaurants? I'm sick of paying for my lunch and think it's totally justifiable to demand that I start getting it for free.

Cute but wrong channel (so-to-speak). Its all about the collusion between to BTN and cable to stop streaming. I'd pay for it, but I can't. And I can't because they both make more money by not offering it. That is collusion.

The music industry fought change and then evolved to take advantage of new technology. BTN and cable can fight it, but its inevitable.

So hilarious all you anti-establishment Dems rushing to defend the status quo.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:19 pm

Your position is simply too insane for any dems to jump on board with. There are far bigger fish to fry than forcing Big Ten to offer their service sin a way you personally would approve of.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:35 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Your position is simply too insane for any dems to jump on board with. There are far bigger fish to fry than forcing Big Ten to offer their service sin a way you personally would approve of.

Asking them to offer streaming instead of colluding with the big cable companies to make out-sized profits is insane? ok.

And yet you and JJoyce will be the first in line to bitch about gas prices and oil companies' profits...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:41 pm

And yet you and JJoyce will be the first in line to bitch about gas prices and oil companies' profits...

Streaming content is not a necessity nor is it even the norm in 2011. They don't have an obligation to stream anything. Surely you can see that comparing Big Ten network to the giant heavily subsidized oil industry is a little bit insane.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:53 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Streaming content is not a necessity nor is it even the norm in 2011. They don't have an obligation to stream anything. Surely you can see that comparing Big Ten network to the giant heavily subsidized oil industry is a little bit insane.

Not at its core. Its collusion.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:04 pm

When have you seen me complain about gas prices? My beef is with a government that doesn't offer alternatives to commuting by car.

What's hilarious is your bellyaching over an athletic department's moves to make money at the hands of fans as opposed to taxes or tuition. The UW is a huge entity and the athletic department is self sufficient. It was recognized years ago that in order to maintain excellence among Big Ten schools, they would need to keep more of their television revenue. Hence, the BTN.

If you want the Badgers to be competitive, you'll gladly pay the going rate for supporting the teams, which includes tickets, donations and yes, the Big Ten Network. It's the cost, as they say, of doing business. Status quo was networks like ESPN and CBS monopolizing the coverage. The BTN is the disrupting force, dictating its own terms and dispersing important money to member institutions.

And the last I checked, all games are broadcast on radio.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:38 pm

Crockett wrote: Its all about the collusion between to BTN and cable to stop streaming. I'd pay for it, but I can't. And I can't because they both make more money by not offering it. That is collusion .

I agree with your frustration, BTN & cable are being pricks by not offering a streaming option. And I think it is a dumb business decision too, cable is so friggin expensive that BTN is not going to make/break decision to subscribe to full cable for many people.

But Joyce is right too, business is business, BTN is entitled to maximize their profit as they see fit.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:45 pm

Isn't BTN also available on satellite TV? If so, there's your all-American competition, Crock! You have options!
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:49 pm

http://www.btn2go.com/btn2go/

Is this not just a mirroring of whats on the tube?

edit. nope it's not. You have to have a login from a provider to watch live tv. not unlike HBO.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:54 pm

fisticuffs wrote:http://www.btn2go.com/btn2go/

Is this not just a mirroring of whats on the tube?

edit. nope it's not. You have to have a login from a provider to watch live tv. not unlike HBO.

good detective work, cuffs.

you have to already be a tv subscriber. And I suspect you have to have internet service through that subscriber to login, otherwise I would sell my account password to Crockett for, you know, what the market will bare.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:04 pm

you have to already be a tv subscriber. And I suspect you have to have internet service through that subscriber to login, otherwise I would sell my account password to Crockett for, you know, what the market will bar

Great. We found our solution. Crockett have any friends who trust you and have BTN? Just get their login info. Done.

It's still not collusion for cable providers to ask BTN not to directly compete with them. My company who is a retailer wouldn't do business with a vendor who also sells direct at our cost to consumers. How would we compete with them? Some vendors (very few) will sell direct on their site and we'll tolerate it but only when their prices allow their dealers to compete. That's what this is. The cable providers say OK we'll pay you x amount for your product but we don't want you undercutting us by going direct to our customers. It's a contract, not collusion. Collusion generally happens between competitors, behind closed doors, and is illegal. Out in the open contract negotiations and no compete clauses are not collusion.
Last edited by fisticuffs on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:08 pm

ya, but unless they are dummies, they will at least check to see that your IP address matches one from the TV/internet provider that you claim.

but who knows, maybe it will just work from any computer.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:12 pm

ya, but unless they are dummies, they will at least check to see that your IP address matches one from the TV/internet provider that you claim.

Currently I could go to any PC/smartphone etc, pull up HBOGo and login in with my info and start watching. Maybe they will get more sophisticated eventually but right now all you need is an account and a password.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm holding out for a Pastafarian channel...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking