MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

2011-2012 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: 2011-2012 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Well, the regular season adversity seemed to pay off in game #1. They beat a team they were supposed to beat quite handily.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:52 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Well, the regular season adversity seemed to pay off in game #1. They beat a team they were supposed to beat quite handily.

Well, the jerkwad analyst on the ESPN bracket show picked Montana over the UW. He's a Bo-hater, though.

I had to miss the game because I'm apparently invaluable at work or something. But I see from the box score that the Bruiser finally canned a couple of threes. Sweet!

Go Harvard; I wanna see Bucky kick some Crimson ass.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:50 pm

I think the East Region placement is looking pretty good right now. Assuming we can get by Vanderbilt, Syracuse looked pretty beatable today. Not sure if that's the loss of Melo, their center, or if they're slumping or perhaps they just played a really tough #16, but they didn't seem like a #1 seed today. A grudge match vs. OSU would be one hell of a way for the Badgers to punch their ticket to an unlikely Final Four appearance and the math doesn't look that bad. It's no cakewalk, but those are all games we could win.

If we were sitting in any other region, I'd call that a pipe dream.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Lots of complaining on the Vanderbilt message boards. I can (somewhat) see the gripe about the last play, where their big guy got out muscled by a guy that weighs about 170 and was apparently barfing most of the prior day.

Most of the other complaints were about the charging calls. I realize that the charge/block call is a tough one, but IMO:

- Those all seemed pretty clearly correct to me.

- The Badgers quite intelligently attempt to take charges in those situations. If you stay still and get run over, your odds are probably 40% charging call, 25% blocking call with a miss, 25% blocking call on a made basket, 10% no call. By way of comparison, by going for the ball you maybe have a 25% chance of getting a clean block or steal, and some of those will get called as fouls anyway.

- The reason that players "flop" backwards when an offensive player runs into them is that the refs will not make the call otherwise. As anyone that has played forward or (especially) center can tell you, you can stand perfectly still and have guys with their elbows raised plow into you all day, but you will not get a charge call unless you slide backwards on the floor.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:33 pm

UW isn't Final Four material. That said, every year it seems like one team that shouldn't make it does just that. UW has some things going for them: a frustrating style of play, a fantastic coach, bigs who can play outside the 3 point line and a really good (but not great) point guard. It's going to be interesting! When i moved to Madison in 1992, UW B-Ball was the laughing stock of the Big 10. As a Chapel Hill native, I was more than down on the program here....but they have done an admirable job of building their program since then and I have much repsect for the jobs Stu Jackson, Dick Bennett and now Bo Ryan have done here!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking