MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

2012-13 Badgers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

2012-13 Badgers

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Wilson: gone
Toon: gone
Brady Ewing: gone
Aaron Henry & Fenelus: gone
Peter Konz is a junior, but the best center in the country and also might be gone.
Ball: gone (If he's projected to go in the 1st or 2nd rounds, he'd be dumb not to get outta here. Running backs especially need to get paid ASAP).

Now comes word that Paul Chryst has been talking to Kansas about their head coaching job (although they just canned Turner Gill after just two seasons) and his name keeps coming up as a hot prospect.

I'm not sure Chryst has the right personality to be a head coach (he's pretty guarded and matter of fact, almost quiet), but he's going to want to take a shot and this year it seems like the timing is perfect.

What I'm trying to get at is that 2012-13 will represent a huge challenge for Bielema because so many of the people that were the difference in winning games this season will be gone. How will Badger fans greet an 8-win season (or worse) after two straight Rose Bowls?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 2012-13 Badgers

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:14 pm

After Wilson's success as a transfer, others are considering coming here too.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:20 pm

I think a drop-off would be understood, especially if they win the RB.

Barry had some stinker seasons in-between Rose Bowls, but he won the Rose Bowls he was in.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Wilson's success had some to do with UW's system, but mostly due to his own abilities, approach and personality. That kid is pretty unique.

The thought of bringing in a kid who initially wanted to be a Domer and is described as "injury-plagued" doesn't excite me.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:28 pm

There's pretty much zero chance that the Badgers don't win at least 8 games next year: Northern Iowa, @ Oregon St, Utah St, UTEP, Illinois, @ Purdue, Minnesota, @ Indiana. That leaves games @ Nebraska and Penn St, plus home games against Michigan State and Ohio State. I would doubt the Vegas line on our over/under for wins will be less than 9.

We lose Fenelus, Henry, Nzegwu and Claxton on defense, but our deep, if unspectacular, defensive line returns. We'll have the best linebacker duo in the conference. We had a bunch of young defensive backs see some valuable playing time, plus Devin Smith should return from injury.

The biggest question mark is quarterback, but rumors are rampant that Dane Crist might transfer here from Notre Dame. He's set to graduate in December and would be in a similar situation as Wilson was last year, so he wouldn't have to sit out a year. Our offensive line will still be good, we'll still have solid running backs, plus we return Rock Me Abbrederis at wideout and Pederson at tight end.

I'll take the over on 8 wins. Care to place a wager?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 pm

There almost has to be a drop off at the QB position, since Wilson was by far the best who ever played here.

I think we're loaded at running back, even assuming Ball leaves. I expect growth from White. and what little I saw of Jeff Lewis reminded me a bit of Ball.

So I think we may pull off 9 or 10 wins, including the bowl game.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:46 am

O.J. wrote:There's pretty much zero chance that the Badgers don't win at least 8 games next year: Northern Iowa, @ Oregon St, Utah St, UTEP, Illinois, @ Purdue, Minnesota, @ Indiana.

I'll take the over on 8 wins. Care to place a wager?

Nice call, Nostradumbass.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 am

Line looked like shit. Receivers looked like shit. Couldn't tackle for shit. O'Brien looked like shit... Gonna be a long year. The good news is our buddies in Lincoln look equally in over their heads.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:35 am

Wow that didn't take long. Somebody had to pay.
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... h-markuson
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:32 am

fisticuffs wrote:Line looked like shit. Receivers looked like shit. Couldn't tackle for shit.

You talkin' Packers or Badgers?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:40 am

fisticuffs wrote:Wow that didn't take long. Somebody had to pay.
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... h-markuson

Interesting. In fall camp, an O-lineman or two mentioned that the new coaching was requiring some adapting to. I thought at the time that it seemed like they were trying a little too hard to be diplomatic.

Any public statement short of "we love this guy!" is a red flag.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking