MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Roses

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Roses

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:25 pm

Any predictions? I am at a loss. I don't know what to make of this team this year. At times they've looked like world beaters and others totally pedestrian taking advantage of a down year in the B1G. At least we know there'll be some fireworks regardless of the outcome. Really just pulling for Montee to get in the end zone a couple times and extend his record. This is what we're up against:
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20 ... -rose-bowl
Nike, ruining college football a little bit with each stupid new uni.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Roses

Postby Igor » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:38 pm

First of all, the TD record is (at this point) bogus. Regardless of the different number of regular season games, there is no excuse to count Ball's bowl game touchdowns, and not count those of Barry Sanders. It's not like we don't know what happened way back then.

That being said, I think the Badgers have a good shot, and would probably put my money on them given the spread. Some of it is going to depend on how our coaches react during the game. Last year, that was the biggest problem. (Hint - the stretch play does not work well when the other team has fast small linebackers that can catch your RB from behind. )
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Igor wrote:First of all, the TD record is (at this point) bogus. Regardless of the different number of regular season games, there is no excuse to count Ball's bowl game touchdowns, and not count those of Barry Sanders. It's not like we don't know what happened way back then.

While I agree, that is the same with most records over time. How many games did Babe Ruth play in the season he hit 60 dingers? A lot less than Maris and later cheaters Sosa, McGwire and Bonds.

If Ron Dayne's bowl rushing yards counted, no one would ever break his career record. Even without the bowls, it would be hard to beat.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:18 pm

I think it'll be pretty competitive, especially if we pound the rock and avoid taking the second quarter off like we did twice against MSU. I expect a close game.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:29 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Igor wrote:First of all, the TD record is (at this point) bogus. Regardless of the different number of regular season games, there is no excuse to count Ball's bowl game touchdowns, and not count those of Barry Sanders. It's not like we don't know what happened way back then.

While I agree, that is the same with most records over time. How many games did Babe Ruth play in the season he hit 60 dingers? A lot less than Maris and later cheaters Sosa, McGwire and Bonds.

If Ron Dayne's bowl rushing yards counted, no one would ever break his career record. Even without the bowls, it would be hard to beat.

That is my point - I have no problem counting the bowl game for Ball. I just think you need to retroactively count the bowl game that Sanders played in, and not just say "well we changed the scoring system, but we aren't going to re-score the old records". It was my understanding that the Sanders' 5 touchdowns that he got in the bowl game do not count towards the record - ignore all this if that is not the case.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:54 pm

The Rose Bowl will be the classic "power vs. speed" matchup and speed usually wins. But not always, as Florida State found out a few years ago when they got embarrassed by the Badgers.

Hard to really predict this game. Could be a defensive struggle, could be a shootout. I'll stab towards shootout with Oregon winning 38-28. I hope I'm wrong.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:39 pm

pjbogart wrote:The Rose Bowl will be the classic "power vs. speed" matchup and speed usually wins. But not always, as Florida State found out a few years ago when they got embarrassed by the Badgers.

Hard to really predict this game. Could be a defensive struggle, could be a shootout. I'll stab towards shootout with Oregon winning 38-28. I hope I'm wrong.

Actually Florida State killed us, 42-13. You must be thinking of the more recent Miami game....Champs Sports Bowl I believe.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Oregon 45 UW 38.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Coplay » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Bielema should be arrested for sexually abusing time outs.
Coplay

Postby gargantua » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Yeah, as far as abusing time outs, he's a multiple offender. I never forget how he ran out the clock and had to kick a field goal at the end of the first half of the TCU game, going into the locker room with unused time outs.

Then this year. You would think he would learn. But you would be wrong.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:06 am

UW made way too many mistakes. Badgers had the nation's 6th-ranked defense? Really? Surprising after some of games they've had this year. Bielema ... sheee-it. Sucks losing the Rose Bowl.

On the last play, it seemed like the official wound his arm signaling for the clock to start slightly before he blew his whistle letting Bucky know it was OK to snap the ball. That split second was huge.

And there was a blatant missed holding call when Oregon went for it on 4th & 6.

silver:
Montee Ball is going to be one helluva pro.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Beaver wrote:Oregon 45 UW 38.

Jinkies, your hot tub time machine works perfectly.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 pm

A few predictable, boneheaded moves by BB, two turnovers and some bad luck (how did that fumbled ball stay in-bounds????) did the Badgers in.

Oregon is very, very fast. I'm not sure how they steal all of those gang-bangers away from USC and UCLA.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Prediction: They're all going pro. Nobody who might go pro will be back next year, except Wagner. Konz is gone and so is Ball.

Here's what's pissing me off today: The decision to spike it on that last play. You've got maybe the smartest, calmest and most accurate quarterback in college football running up to the line after just eating up two huge chunks on the previous two plays. Let him run the game winner, especially because there's simply no way to spike the ball off a first-down spot with two seconds.

The only way Wilson knows the clock has started is that it ticks from :02 to :01, at which time the ball is snapped and he spikes it. You can't do that in less than a second. So Bielema needs to be yelling at him to run a play. Throw the ball into the end zone against a reeling Oregon defense and take your chances.

I think it's a symptom of college sports where these coaches are micro-managers and simply can't imagine trusting the kid they've coached all year to do the right thing.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking