MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Enter the "Gift Suite"

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Enter the "Gift Suite"

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm sorry but this is a bunch of shit.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/coll ... 963f4.html

From the article:
"We've encouraged that they have some kind of memento," Dennis Pope, the NCAA's director of championships, told Sports Illustrated. "These are all key mementos; it's not cash ... There's a distinction between an outright dollar value given to them and a redeemable gift certificate."

Yeah, nothing permanently records my memory of a career highlight like a flat-screen TV. And people wonder why I don't watch sports..
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Enter the "Gift Suite"

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:52 pm

NCAA rules dictate athletes aren't supposed to get any sort of extra benefits not extended to regular students, which is why the Shoe Box discounts for football players became a "scandal" and resulted in suspensions.

But the bowls essentially pay off the schools and continue with this "gift suite" nonsense to try and keep the schools interested in playing in bowls as opposed to playoffs. It's an actual racket and it should be against the NCAA's well-stated rules.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:00 pm

I thought the gift suite would be where the cheerleaders stayed...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Those athletes bring in billions to the schools and the NCAA, and people are upset because they get some gifts for performing well enough to play in a bowl game?

How much do Barry Alvarez and Bret Bielema make? And you get upset about this?

Kids work their butts off, come back and play after ACL tears and concussions, and people are upset because they get a TV at the end of the year.
Give me a break.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Meanwhile, in the Peach Bowl ...
$15 Chick-fil-A gift card (in addition to more typical trinkets & schwag)
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:07 am

gargantua wrote:
How much do Barry Alvarez and Bret Bielema make? And you get upset about this?

I got over being upset about their ridiculous salaries long ago. I still feel a little crowded though, living in the same city as alvarez's bloated ego.

gargantua wrote:
Kids work their butts off, come back and play after ACL tears and concussions, and people are upset because they get a TV at the end of the year.

Like these guys aren't already the most compensated people on campus? How many guys on that team are on a free or almost free ride? Who gets the best free tutors when they're falling behind? Generous food stipends. General rock star treatment on campus, and god knows how many other perks that are still kept secret. Yeah, these poor guys need even more.

I know it's all about money and football brings it in, but can't they at least keep this shit secret and not rub it in our face. They're guys who know how to throw and catch a ball and run fast, and we hold them up like fucking heroes who are saving the planet. Sorry if I don't have any sympathy because they suffer the occasional sore knee or headache. I don't see anyone handing out TVs to the one-legged people coming home from the middle east.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:38 pm

OK.....occasional sore knee or headache equals ACL tear and concussion. Got it. And college athletes shouldn't get anything because wounded vets don't get anything. Check.

I had assumed you knew that life isn't fair. I wasn't trying to say this particular perk is fair. The point I was trying to make is that in the continuum of things that are unfair or unjust in the world, this seems like an awful small thing to get wrapped around the axle about. Especially in the context of the billions of dollars these athletes, most of whom do not turn professional. make for other people.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:51 pm

In the grand scheme of things I realize giving these guys a tv isn't cause for a revolution or anything. My point in starting a simple rant thread on an internet forum that could use a little life, is to say that these are already the most pampered kids on campus, why do I need to see a story about yet one more perk offered only to them? Why do the other 40,000+ students who don't grace the school with their athletic prowess and most of whom actually pay their own way, need to see the football programs fancy little dance around the rules to benefit the chosen few. Keep it a fucking secret or don't do it.

And I don't give 2 bits about their injuries. Nobody is making you play football. You're living a charmed life on campus and have at least a chance to go onto the most overpaid profession in the world.

I fully recognize the benefits of sports and how they can bring us together behind a common cause and provide entertainment and local pride and the whole shebang. I get it. That doesn't make the direction they've gone in right. That doesn't mean the loads of money they make for "other people" is necessarily a good thing.

Eh, I'm getting carried away now...

And Mr. Giant, you want to tell me that life isn't fair? I went out for my B-day last night and broke a goddamn tooth on the dinner bread. I've been eating christmas toffee ALL WEEK....and it breaks on a baguette! That my friend, isn't fair.

Happy new year.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:09 pm

supaunknown wrote:Meanwhile, in the Peach Bowl ...
$15 Chick-fil-A gift card (in addition to more typical trinkets & schwag)

Which can't be used on Sundays, since Chick-Fil-A is owned by very conservative Christians who like to wear their religion on their sleeves (ala Tim Tebow).

At least Tebow is willing to play on Sundays. Multi-million dollar contracts will often trump religious beliefs.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking