MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao in May?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao in May?

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Mayweather had his prison date pushed back so he could do this fight, but Pac Man doesn’t want to fight that early in the month. Mayweather wanted May 6. I bet Pac Man has some training to do first. Will this fight happen in May, or are they just teasing us again?
I would really like to see these two fight. Any forons who are boxing fans care to weigh in? Lots of press on them both lately.

Norm Macdonald on Pac Man’s training before his win over Márquez last year:
http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/ind ... y-pacquiao
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao in May?

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Updating my post if anyone is interested: It ain't gonna happen, or so says Time magazine:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2105907,00.html

Both men appear to have worked in concert not to fight each other — even though that event would be the most lucrative of all time, possibly paying each fighter $40 million. Both men have probably realized that by not fighting each other, they can make almost as much money taking on less risky opponents while preserving their aura of invincibility.

That is why Floyd Mayweather Jr. will face Miguel Cotto on May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Manny Pacquiao, who defeated Cotto by TKO in a ferocious display of speed and power in 2009, will fight a yet-to-be-determined opponent on June 9 at the same venue. And once again, after another tiresome round of taunts and teases, they will not face each other.

Mayweather v. Cotto will be a good one. I'm also interested to see who Pac man will fight. Lots of interesting stuff in the article.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:39 am

I knew you were going to get zero interest on here, not really a fight crowd. I boxed a little and was a much more involved fan in the 80's-90's but now that I don't have cable I never manage to see any fights and my interest went away. I have a hard time believing there is still that much money in the sport with the domination of UFC style fighting.

The best fighters only threatening to fight each other seems to be a growing trend. About as exciting as waiting to see who was going to overpay Prince Fielder. For my money now I'll buy DVDs of Ali era fights or the 80's middleweights, when it seemed like everybody fought everybody.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:07 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I knew you were going to get zero interest on here, not really a fight crowd.

Thanks for the heads up, narcoleptish. Now I know. UFC is huge.

I like old-school boxing, too. Ever since Tyson bit Holyfield's ear
I think the sport has lost some credibility. I still enjoy a good fight though, and that's why I was anticipating this one. I think they are both great boxers.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking