MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Burn Ban

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Burn Ban

Postby Twigz2011 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:24 am

I've been told conflicting things. I looked online but wasn't able to find anything specific to where I live. Can anyone tell me what the current restrictions are in Madison for burning and/or grilling out and the best source for getting that information. I see there is a ban on open flame in parts of Dane county and the Town of Madison, but nothing on the city of Madison.

Much Appreciated.
Twigz2011

Re: Burn Ban

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:06 am

I found nothing at the city's website. I'm sure grilling is OK. Not sure about fire pits. Call the fire department if you need to know exactly.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:11 am

If I remember the recent news story correctly, Madison didn't have a formal ban.
Many surrounding communities did, though. With those I believe grilling (both charcoal and gas) was excepted.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Technically, any open fire anywhere in town is prohibited without a license. In practice it's all complaint driven. If your neighbor complains, you'll be talking to somebody in a uniform.

In these conditions, I would be apprehensive if I saw floating sparks from a fire in my neighbor's yard. We were living in the Warrens area during the early 80's forest fires and the feeling you get in the evening as you watch a faint glow on the horizon, smell the hint of smoke in the air and glance at all the pine trees around the house, is something that stays with you.

So I'd be having a chat with you if you had an open fire on my street these days. But knowing my neighbors, I'm confident that won't happen.

There's no ban on grilling that I can find.

Edit: The burning guide says fire pits are okay as long as they have some sort of screen to contain the sparks. In my opinion, that means it isn't really an open fire. In happier times, several of my neighbors flaunt that regulation and regularly sit around a campfire in their back yards. They don't do that nowadays.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:56 am

Open burning is also not allowed in Madison city limits. While the city does allow outdoor fireplaces and grills, residents are asked to stop using any outdoor fireplaces until the area gets some rain.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/Madison ... index.html
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking