MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Ironman Sunday

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Ironman Sunday

Postby Beaver » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Watch out for the road closures and detours.

http://ironmanwisconsin.com/course/run/
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ironman Sunday

Postby rabble » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:29 am

It's kind of interesting that I can't seem to find a summary of the courses and schedule anywhere. I can find the run course and the bike course, but no summary.

I feel a little clueless that I don't remember the sequence. I think it's run, swim, bike.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:35 am

rabble wrote:It's kind of interesting that I can't seem to find a summary of the courses and schedule anywhere. I can find the run course and the bike course, but no summary.

I feel a little clueless that I don't remember the sequence. I think it's run, swim, bike.

Swim first, so the competitors are less likely to drown because of fatigue... I think.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:12 am

Had my first experience with the ironman road closures yesterday, trying to return east from the Vilas area. John Nolen looked backed up so I turned on Bedford thinking I could jump on Johnson. After avoiding multiple closed streets and a blocks-long line on Park st. to turn onto Johnson, I eventually headed back west to Mills and got on Johnson for a clear shot home.

I'm pretty patient and I also know my way around down there really well, so it wasn't a big deal. For any out-of-towners though, it could really suck.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:19 am

My 5 minute drive to Milers in Mt. Horeb turns into a 30 minute drive thanks to Ironman. Actually I was detouring all day as we had to run in to Madison's south side and west side. I really don't see the appeal. We have a friend doing it. It was like $1000 plus a lot of expensive gear. Seems to do more damage to the body than good.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:44 am

How many drownings?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:31 am

I had to go in to work late Sunday afternoon and quick hopped in the car forgetting what I'd run into. If'n I'd remembered I'd have taken the bike but forgot till I was halfway there.

Oddly, I avoided the detours easily and even found a good parking spot on Orchard St. Ran in, took care of business, got it all buttoned up, and when I got back finally realized I was a block away from one of the runner's route streets so I hung out on a street corner for a while watching the stragglers hang in there.

I tend to agree with fist. I sort of understand the self-esteem boost one gets from finishing, but I cannot fathom why one would do this sort of thing regularly. Some of those racers compete more than once a year, yes? That has to rank up there with pro football and boxing for delayed health costs.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:32 am

Yes, the traffic sucked. But I was amazed how many people from out of town who had grins on their faces. I was pretty proud to live here. That's all, plus I drank too much beer.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:53 am

I biked/walked through the area near the finish line shortly after nightfall. Quite the scene.

Seeing an entire floor of the Monona Terrace parking structure dedicated to pricey bicycles was fairly impressive. I didn't have a good camera with me, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a shot show up in the Flickr feed.

The finish line was inspiring to watch. Most could still jog across the line; I saw one or two walk. An older competitor seem a little disoriented and needed help from a staff member to stay on course. While I was there, the clock ticked past the 13th hour. "Only four short hours to go!" according to the announcer.

Speaking of which, boy howdy am I glad I don't live anywhere near the square on this night. The PA system was powerful and sitting on a raised platform for clarity's sake. This also meant every word and the upbeat, horrible backing music echoed everywhere downtown. "Joe/Jane Blow from City, State, you made it! You're an Iron Man! (uh tss uh tss uh tsss)" over and over again.

There were lots of exhausted, seemingly happy competitors wandering around with silver, space-agey blankets, getting pictures taken with friends and family. The ambulances weren't full at the time, but it looked like one had just gotten back from a run.

At one point, as I was walking my (not pricey) bike away from the area, I got a "Congratulations on your achievement!" from a passerby. My response: "I didn't compete, but he did," pointing at the impossibly buff guy wearing a number in front of me.

Biking home, the path near the Kohl Center was blocked off for competitors' use. Quite a different scene here-- mostly in the dark, some runners still running, many just walking. No supporters, staff, or observers (besides myself) to be seen. It occurred to me that this was likely the norm along much of the course. Some runners looked like death. Some looked like they should never have entered in the first place, which made me wonder how they had made it that far.

I leisurely made my way home, rolling into my driveway long before the Ironman shut down for this year.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:07 pm

The economic benefit of this thing is ridiculous. The tris started showing up a week ago and have been filing in and out of restaurants near our office ever since, including today. I wonder if places like Sysco and other restaurant suppliers hoard pasta just for this week.

By the way, an Ironman is a tremendous accomplishment, but I'm not sure there's a group of athletes that strut and preen like triathletes do. They love them some them.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi Meade,

I think it was a few years ago when 4 people separately drowned during their practice swimming.

I think the city put the new boat ramp in because of that.

I am probably wrong but that was a tough year for hauling bodies out.

Best regards,

IWIW99
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:12 pm

I went for a bike ride on the west side and ran into the triathletes going the opposite way. I thought it would be fun to keep going and watch them pass by. Eventually it was time to turn around go home.

Uh oh!!

I decided to keep going and find an alternate route back. Close call... and that hill I discovered was not so pleasant.

It was worth it, though. A couple of them waved to me so now I know I am a major athlete.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Archipants » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:19 pm

jjoyce wrote:By the way, an Ironman is a tremendous accomplishment, but I'm not sure there's a group of athletes that strut and preen like triathletes do. They love them some them.

Yeah, it was almost gag-inducing to watch them all parading around in their the Ironman finisher t-shirts today, complete with Ironman visors and Ironman totebags (no doubt filled with the prized Ironman finisher bumper sticker. Weird cult...

What's up with the calf warmer thingies? People be just wearin' them around - even when they're not competing.
Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 pm

Archipants wrote:What's up with the calf warmer thingies? People be just wearin' them around - even when they're not competing.

Keeps them from rusting if they get caught in the rain.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:52 pm

I thought the firefighter who did the marathon portion wearing 50 lbs of gear was pretty cool. He runs for some charity that supports firefighters with cancer, which is an occupational hazard.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... f887a.html
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking